Need help with a surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Need help with a surname

Post by louis41 »

In the 1930 census, Enumeration District 51-344 Sheet 16A lines 21 thru 24 are my relatives. Line 21 & 26 is my great-grandfather Louis & his wife Celestine. Line 23 is his daughter Virginia & 24 her husband Mario. I am having a problem determining the correct spelling of Virginia & her husband Mario's surname. I have tried many variations on Ancestry.com, in Immigration & SSDI, with no success. The census said he arrived US in 1920 & she arrived 1903, but I don't know what port.
I know that they owned a home in Lavellete, NJ, maybe as early as the 40's & I am pretty sure they lived there until their death. Not sure when that event happened, but, I am pretty sure they were still alive until at least the 60's.
Can you please help me figure out what the surname really is or point me in the right direction. Any other info you find on them would also be appreciated.

Thanks Much for your help,

Louis
wiseguy203

Re: Need help with a surname

Post by wiseguy203 »

The name appears in the census as follows:
1910 Ianelli Louis
1920 Yenelli Louis
1930 Ianelli Louis

A Luigi Jamelli and children arrived in NYC 5/14/1902. here is a link that might be it:
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... 4002894523

Celestine and the rest of the family definitely arrived NYC 5/18/1903. Here is the link:
http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... 4030783162

I can't say for sure which name is correct, but at least this gives a place to start....or a few places..lol. Good luck!

Ryan
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Wiseguy,
Thanks much for that info. I was aware of the difference in the spelling on the manifest and census for my great-grandfather and have found them all except Celestine's arrival manifest. Never thought of that way to spell Celestine. Will remember that one for future searches.

My real problem is trying to figure out the correct spelling of Virginia's surname after she married her husband Mario. I have tried every variation I could think of to search for and could not find it anywhere. Will appreciate anybody that can jump in and help me figure how to spell the last name.

Thanks,

Louis
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

My real problem is trying to figure out the correct spelling of
Virginia's surname after she married her husband Mario

For reference 1930 census
census image

Blow-up of son-in-law's name
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Thanks VJ.
I have that census image as I indicated in my original post.

The problem is that I am unsure of the correct spelling, because it is a little fuzzy on the 3rd, 4th and 7th letter in the last name.

I have not been able to find any other reference for that name in any of the different ways of the spelling that I can think of, so I am just bumming for a bit.

Need another direction to try to find them somewhere else. I have tried SSDI & an Ancestry.com search with: Biseticoni, Biscticoni, Biacticoni, Biactisoni, Biacticoni, etc. With no matches so far.

Do you have any ideas for me to try a different search?

Thanks,

Louis
wiseguy203

Post by wiseguy203 »

Sorry Louis....I completely missed the point of your question. I focused on the wrong surname. I'll let you know if I come up with anything useful. I assume you do not know Mario's parents names, if they came to the US, etc?

You probably know if you manage to get the correct surname first you can go to the National Archives in Philly and see if you can locate his naturalization paperwork which will tell you when, what port and on which ship he arrived.

Ryan
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

No problem Ryan. I appreciate any help or guidance that you can give me on this, as I am still pretty new at it. Only started about 4 months ago.

You are correct about Mario. The only thing I know is that he was married to my father's aunt and only found out his name the other day when I found the census for 1930. Always heard about uncle Mario & aunt Virginia, but it is neat to finally get a better handle on who they really were.

I did know about the Archives in Phila, but wasn't sure what I could find there. Will have to make a trip soon and check it out.

Thanks again,

Louis
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

my vote :wink:
vj

Baistrocchi
(on census Biastirocci)
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Thanks VJ. I'll give that one a try ans let you know how I make out.

Louis
notlob45

Post by notlob45 »

My aunt says that Mario's last name was Vischioni. Everyone called him Marty.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

notlob45 wrote:My aunt says that Mario's last name was Vischioni. Everyone called him Marty.
maybe, what said your aunt, it could be true...
Mario VISCHIONI
Birth Date: 18 May 1899
Death Date: 11 Dec 1994
Social Security Number: 164-05-1135
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Pennsylvania

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 33405
Localities: West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida

Virginia VISCHIONI
Birth Date: 6 Feb 1898

Death Date: 10 Apr 1988
Social Security Number: 264-41-0321
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Florida

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 33405
Localities: West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Florida

Iregards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Mike, Thanks for getting in touch. You are right about the one I am looking for having everyone calling him Marty. Maybe finally I can find him somewhere else. I also just got the address where they lived in Lavelette, NJ. I was there many times as a kid, but couldn't remember the street name. Found it on the back of an old photo. Now I will be able to check the land ownership records and see how they have it spelled.
I have sent you a reply to your e-mail. Will be in touch again soon.

Louis
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Suanj,
Thanks for your input. The info you found for that name looks pretty good. I know that the family I am looking for spent time in the Palm Beach area, so this could be them. I will check this out with other info I have to follow-up on and hope you are right. So far the dob for Virginia matches up with the ships manifest info, so I'm feeling good about this one.

Thanks again for your help,

Louis