Spelling of Sure names

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
wonderwoman

Spelling of Sure names

Post by wonderwoman »

:o My family sure name is Stellato, there are different types of spelling for this one name. I know the first spelling was Stella. But how can you really find out who had the name first. Who really knows? thanks :?:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: Spelling of Sure names

Post by JamesBianco »

Any relation to the Stellato's of Agawam MA? My uncle John married an Ann Stellato. I know she was from Agawam.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Ok cool, where is Agawam exactly? All my family came from Carvinada {not shore on the spelling} Italy.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I will find out where they came from when I get home, and reply. Agawam (the town I live in also) is in South Western, Massachusetts on the Connecticut line. Who knows, maybe there is a relation!

Jim
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

South Massachusetts!! I have family there. Givonni Stellato emigrated to MA in 1907 w/his wife. He had a big house {that's still in the family} and had a wine thing built in the basement. Another thing you look just like my Uncle Johnny Stellato. When you have time check out my family genealogy web site at www.stellatogenealogy.net it has Givonni's photo on there. Man this is a small world. Or either just too many Italians. har har
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

wonderwoman wrote:Ok cool, where is Agawam exactly? All my family came from Carvinada {not shore on the spelling} Italy.
Could it be Cervinara, province of Avellino? There are 5 Stellato families in the phone directory.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Yes that is the corret spelling of the city in Italy. Five Stellato familys WOW, I would like to know if anyone knows on how to contact them. Can anyone help me?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Stellato in Cervinara

This may help you locate family currently
living in Italy.

Italian White Pages
Cognome o nome Azienda = Surname
Dove = Location (optional)

Click on red button Cerca

LDS Family Search Letter Writing Guide

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Thanks I'll start looking. I'll let you know if I find anything.
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gallo1975 »

ok..I am coming into this thread. I too have Stelatto's in my tree that hail from Caserta and settled in Connecticut.

Mine are as follows:

Alexander STELATTO (Born circa 1860) marr. Madilena D'AMICO
Their daughter:
Catarina STELATTO (1885-1960) marr. Vincenzo PERILLO (1880-1922)
Catarina and Vincenzo are my great-grandparents.

I have a copy of Catarina's signature from when she signed my grandmother's high school report card..heh..so I know she spelled it the way I have it typed.

As far as I know Alexander and Madilena never came to US, but Catarina did. According to the manifest she was 26 years old in 1908 aboard the USS Madonna (italy to New York) 1 year AFTER her husband Vincenzo. She listed Derby, CT as her final destination. She is also listed as MARRIED but traveled under her maiden name on the manifest. She was traveling with her first son, Dominico, he was 1. This leads me to belive they were married in Italy, but I have no record of that, just a hunch. According to my records they had 7 more children, ALL GIRLS, before Vincenzo's untimely death in 1922.

Sorry if this is garbage to you, but one never knows!
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Italian women did not give up their maiden names when they married. That is why she is listed by her maiden name. Her son is probably listed by his father's last name, but sometimes that didn't happen. More than likely she was married in Italy, her husband came to the US first and then sent for his family.
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gallo1975 »

misbris wrote:Italian women did not give up their maiden names when they married. That is why she is listed by her maiden name. Her son is probably listed by his father's last name, but sometimes that didn't happen. More than likely she was married in Italy, her husband came to the US first and then sent for his family.
I did not realize thay about the maiden name. Interesting.

And yes that is what happened, Vincenzo came here first, established himself and then sent for the the family and Dominico is listed under the married last name.
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

This custom makes it a lot easier to trace Italian women. My problem is finding daughters in the US. Here, once women marry, they disappear unless you know the husband's surname. Unfortunately there are a lot of girls in my family and sometimes the going is rough.

Good luck in your research.