Where to apply if residing in the US but not a US Citizen?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
danielendara

Where to apply if residing in the US but not a US Citizen?

Post by danielendara »

I have a working visa. I am currently living and working in the US.

For the dual citizenship,do I have to apply in my native country or do I apply here in the US???

Thanks,

-Daniel
mler
Master
Master

Re: Where to apply if residing in the US but not a US Citize

Post by mler »

You apply in the jurisdiction of your residency. If you have legal residency in the U.S. you apply in the U.S.
danielendara

Post by danielendara »

Ok. I do not have a green card. I have a working visa. Does anyone know if the statement of mler applies to people like myself that have a visa?

-Thanks,

Daniel
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
you have to show that you are legally resident of US, otherwise you can't apply there. If having a working Visa in US gives you the chance to be legally a resident, of course you can apply there.
bye Riccardo
danielendara

Post by danielendara »

Thanks for the help. I think the only people that would really know are the consulates itself. The miami consulate has jurisdiction in the state I live. I will contact them and let you all know.

Just of out curiosity, how is the wait at the Miami consulate??

-Daniel
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The Miami consulate is a good one, but don't worry. If you are legally in the U.S. (and if you have a work visa you are here legally), you also have a legal residence here.

You actually MUST apply in Miami since it is the jurisdiction of your current legal residence. You may have citizenship elsewhere, but since you don't now legally reside elsewhere, you cannot apply there.

BTW, the only citizenship the Italian Consulate is concerned about is the citizenship for which you are applying.
danielendara

Post by danielendara »

Understood. Thanks mler!!

In that case I will have to tell my family to make copies of all the stuff they have and send it to me.

In the mean time I will start reading on the application process for the Miami consulate. Any suggestions on material to read?

Thanks

-Daniel
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

mler wrote:The Miami consulate is a good one....
On the other hand, the Miami consulate has supposedly shut down it's appointment desk until June due to large processing backlogs. Of course, it may re-open in June, or may not. And then, how far out will the appointments start? I called NYC for an appointment last week and was given a date in January, 2008!

How much longer until the OP's work visa expires?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Miami has generally been one of the better consulates through which to apply. Even if the anecdotal evidence is correct, and the appointment desk is temporarily closed, June is only five weeks away; and posters on other forums have reported fairly short wait times for both appointments and processing.

In any case, Daniel has no choice. As long as he resides in the Miami jurisdiction, he must apply in the Miami Consulate.

If indeed he discovers that the Miami wait is exceptionally long, he always has the option of applying in his home country--assuming he still maintains a residence there (or can manufacture one), and can go back home to submit his paperwork.

Daniel, do give Miami a try, and see how it goes. Good luck.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Daniel, regarding reading material, the consulates seem to have developed a uniform website so I don't know how helpful this would be.

Visit www.italylink.com On the forum, there is a "sticky" for "sharing experiences." Some of the posters went through the Miami Consulate, and it should be interesting reading for you.

BTW, when you say that your family will send you copies of documents, I assume you mean certified copies with apostilles (because that's what you will need).
danielendara

Post by danielendara »

Yes, that is what I am reading. As you said I have to get certified ones with apostilles. My family is still missing some birth certificates so I am in no rush. I have plenty of time and patience to learn and read about the process.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Daniel
danielendara

Post by danielendara »

The consulate replied this morning. Yes I have to apply to the Miami consulate and they resume scheduling appointments in June of this year.

Thanks,

Daniel
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

That's great news. It's a good thing you are not in a rush, because clearly the consulates are not either. :? Have fun with the process.