Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1644 Latin Death Record Translation Help

Post by drovedo »

Do you have this in TIFF format (lossless)you post online somewhere? This is very fuzzy.
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by drovedo »

Try uploading to Imageshack. Free hosting site. You have to register first. Allows TIFF format. Hope this helps.

http://my.imageshack.us
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I think it's amazing you are undertaking this project, and that you have been given access to these church records. I just have some advice (from my experience extracting similar records from Carini (PA) Sicily

http://www.cariniexchange.com/cariniexchange_004.htm

And that is, church burial records give the least information about the individual. More often than not, (in the case of a married person) a spouse is not listed, and parents only when the deceased is an infant or an unmarried minor. Typically you will find their age and nativity (place of birth) along with perhaps (in this case) the street they lived on.

I would try and start with the marriages and baptisms, which (comparitively) are a wealth of information. I started extracting the burials for Carini about 4 years ago and soon realized the futility since they contain such little personal information. And in a town where you have many individuals sharing the same given and last names (often the identical year of birth as well) it is often difficult to sort out which "Francesco Buffa" is MY "Francesco Buffa".

Best of luck with your project, I applaud your efforts.

:) Jim
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

cefalo2 wrote:Hi Jim,
Previously I've photographed all of the Stato Civile holdings from 1809-1899 for this town, as well as census books from the church covering the years 1691-1900.
Fantastic!! It thrills me when I see someone doing this, I wish more people would.

I couldn't afford to copy all of the Stato Records for Carini, so I attacked the church (not literally lol) 2 to 3 records to a page (Church) vrs 1-2 Pages per record (Stato) allowed me to capture a greater span of years (1568-1905 Marriages).

What town is this?

Jim :)
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Ok I think it's Torre Le Nocelle in Avellino.

My great grandmother Rosa Fusco was born in 1898 Quindici, Avellino. Is that far from Torre?
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

cefalo2 wrote:I cheated! I set up the film on the copy machine at the FHS and photographed them from the screen (the Stato Civile). I was surprised they came out so well and it sure saved some big bucks on copying fees! lol
Oh wow! What an idea! lol And here I was paying 20 cents a copy.

Every copy session at my local FHC would run about $30. I must have spent Thousands over the years. I am soooo going to try this now, since I have a high def Digital Camera. Thanks!!

:)
cefalo2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cefalo2 »

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

cefalo2 wrote:
Once the memory card was full I just downloaded them from the camera right to the laptop and started all over again. Saved the money I would have spent on copies and bought a plane ticket so I could get the church records. Horribly expensive hobby this genealogy stuff is! lol
Brilliant! I was just going to ask about the memory card.

Well here is a map showing Torre and Quindici .. not so close I guess!

So now I have to get off my butt and go down there (Bloomfield CT - Hartford Stake FHC) to order more films.

:)