Searching For Info on DeSapio, Albino from Ripacandida

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
RVcook

Post by RVcook »

I am a new user and this is my first post...please be gentle. Looking for information to confirm family \'folklore\' tale. Cannot locate my grandfather Nick Albino coming to US. 1930 census says he arrived in 1913, but no luck. The family story (short version) is this: my supposed great-grandfather, Giovanni Battista DeSapio was supposedly the Mayor of Ripacandida. He was married but was supposedly having an affair with my great-grandmother Filomena Pepice. He fathered her 6 children out of marriage. She remarried a John Albino, and he adopted the 5 surviving children - hence our surname. The oldest son (name unknown) was murdered (reasons unknown) and the second oldest son (Danato Albino, born 1890) stepped up and fulfilled an arranged marriage committment to Rose Esposito. When Filomena came to the US in 1914, she was 60 and widowed. I can only speculate what happened to that husband. I swear, this is our family \'folklore.\' It almost sounds too corny to be true, but I would like to confirm at least part of this. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I will wok with you but did you check the www.ellisisland.org website for each potential Nicola Albino?? There are only 11 and there are a few possiblities not unless he entered the USA at some other port of entry. Go to www.NARA.gov./genealogy and request form 81 and submit to NARA in Washington D>C. for his entry information in detail. Do the same for whomever else you wish to check out. Check the ships manifest in the ellis Island site thouigh as sometime the adddress as to where he was destined may be a clue. Peter
RVcook

Post by RVcook »

I did check out all possible entries for Nick (Domenic, Dominick, Nicolo, Nicolino, Nicola, Nicholas, etc.) with no luck. I also used dates of arrival with no luck. I thought perhaps he had come under a different name, no luck. I had also thought he had come in via a different port of entry. Unfortunately, his papers are gone now, but yes, I think writing to NARA may be the answer. I\'ll just keep working on it. Haven\'t even thought of writing for Italian paperwork...having enough trouble working with information here in the states! Thanks for the tip. Hope someone can help me out with the Ripacandida-DeSapio-mistress part.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You can go to www.comuni.it and put in Ripacanddida in the upper right hand side and click and then click once the name appears again and there is an e-mail to the town on the upper left side and you can send an e-mail preferably in Italian and ask trhem for whatever information you want. You may wish to request a marriage record fopr Nicola if you have his year of birth or his birth certrificate. Peter
RVcook

Post by RVcook »

Again, thanks for the great tip Peter. While Italian isn\'t my second language, I may be able to find someone to translate for me. Also, since my grandfather Nicolo arrived in 1913 at the age of about 13, he may have lived in Pennsylvania about the time that he was married (1921). I was thinking I might be able to get a copy of their marriage certificate from the state. Also, I did a little research into getting copies of immigration records. Let me run this past you...on the 1930 census, it shows that he had first papers and was living in Blue Island, Illinois. I want to assume that it meant he was in the process of obtaining his naturalization (which my mother confirms he finally gotat some point.) Do you think that I should write to the State he was living in at the time of the census as that would be the logical place he would have applied for naturalization? Or am I all wrong on this? There is so much I don\'t know, I am depending on pointers from others who have braved the paperwork trail.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Yes go to http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/about ... natrec.htm for naturalization records. Peter
RVcook

Post by RVcook »

I\'ve gone to the doj. as you suggested and downloaded the form that I\'m going to send in. That was a great tip that I have since passed along. If I were going to try to locate baptismal records in Ripacandida and didn\'t know the name of the church, how would I go about getting them? I would think there are several churches there, but not having been there before, I really don\'t know. Also, I have read the article on obtaining records from Italy and I sure wouldn\'t want to overload the pastor with requests, but I would like to obtain 5, perhaps 6 records (if I can get the one on a dead brother.) Should I send money? If so, how much per request? Or are there researchers I can contact.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

since the suggested donation to a church is $15.00 for one search I would recomend you ask the priest for the name of a person you can hire to check the church records. Peter
RVcook

Post by RVcook »

Your help is truly appreciated Peter! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

at your service. Peter
kathelune

Re: Searching For Info on DeSapio, Albino from Ripacandida

Post by kathelune »

What would have happened to someone with Albinism in the 16th century? I'm writing a story and a character in it is Albino. It takes place in the 1500s in Austria, Romania, Italy, and Great Britain. Would anything bad happen to this character due to Albinism in this places in this time period.