Surname- Joseph

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sheilalloyd

Surname- Joseph

Post by sheilalloyd »

I am looking for any info on Anna Joseph. She was born in Siclie, Italy and came to New York,NY around 1900. She meet a man named Fred Smith, never married him. She had a child and gave it up. I would greatly appreciate any info on her or her family. Please contact sk_lloyd@yahoo.com
Sheila
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Sheila: on www.ellisisland.org not there is some Anna Joseph Italian etnicity...But, currently, Joseph is surname present in Italy, even if not just of Italian origin .
It is present in 15 Italian Commons, but in Sicilia, Joseph surname is present in 3 Common.
This are the person in Agrigento (Agrigento province):

-Joseph Jeannique
Via Dinoloco, 48
92100 Agrigento (AG)
Italia tel. +39 0922.26694

-Joseph Jeannique
Via Pirandello Luigi, 10
92100 Agrigento (AG)
Italia tel. +39 0922.556268

This are the person in Acireale(Catania province):

-Joseph Kelly
Via Torretta, 165
95024 Acireale (CT)
Italia tel. +39 095.886312

This are person in Palermo(Palermo province):

-Joseph Loorthunayagam
Piazzetta Trapani, 10
90144 Palermo (PA)
Italia tel. +39 091.6824079

-Joseph Victor Lesley
Piazzetta delle Vergini, 4
90133 Palermo (PA)
Italia tel. +39 091.323199

-Joseph Victor Vickneswaran
Via Imperatrice Costanza, 43
90134 Palermo (PA)
Italia tel. +39 091.212490

:roll: :roll: :roll:
It considers that names not are Italian...regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 12 Anna Jospeh in the www.ellisisland.org website. Have you reviewed any o f them since their place of origin is other than Italy. Is it possilbe her family name was other than Joseph?? As an instance, Joseph in Italian is Giuseppe and there are 1,780 persons arriving from Italy with the Giuseppe surname. There is a record of one Anna Giuseppe coming from Basel switzerland and another was aged 2 and most likely not your "Anna". Your comments would be appreciated. Peter
sheilalloyd

Surname Joseph

Post by sheilalloyd »

On the paper that my family has it said Anna JOseph born in Silcia, Italy and that's all the info that we have. My grandma won't tell anyone anything else since it is her birth mother.
Sheila
sk_lloyd@yahoo.com
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Can you please tell me what is the "paper" your family has that says Anna Joseph was boprn In Sicily?? There are several joseph and Josepha surnames that have to be looked at. Please advise me of the paper. Peter
sheilalloyd

Surname Joseph

Post by sheilalloyd »

As far as I know it was a birth record because it had the hosp. on it that my grandma was born in. It was St. Anns Maturintiy Hosp. Sept 151912.-Sheila
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Sheila:
yes, the Joseph surname, not is original sicilian surname, but it comes from some English established in Sicily.
" In the second half of "700 some English entrepreneurs they were moved in the Western Sicily creating, with their activity productive and trades a total monopoly in field marsal vine of territory. These the families more notes: - Woodhouse, Ingham, Whitaker and Hopps. They settled down themselves in the territory of Petrosino(Trapani province-Sicilia region), then making part of an immense territory of property of Bishop of Mazara del Vallo. "
http://www.bagliohopps.com/storia.htm

Perhaps there were also Joseph family... :roll: , regards suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It would be nice if you can be more forthcoming about thebirth record. Does it give the baby's name, the parents names?? The mothers maiden name is important because in Italy woman never lost their identity. Suanj came up with an entry that might help does it?? Peter/suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It would be nice if you can be more forthcoming about thebirth record. Does it give the baby's name, the parents names?? The mothers maiden name is important because in Italy woman never lost their identity. Suanj came up with an entry that might help does it?? Peter
sheilalloyd

Surname Joseph

Post by sheilalloyd »

child Delores Heling (adopted last name) born Sept 15 1912 at St Anns Maturnity Hosp. 175 East 68th St New York, NY Father- Fred Smith born Copehagen, Germany Mother- Anna Joseph born in Sislcie, Italy. Sheila
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a listing for a EUNICE Jospeh coming to the USA but her entry was mispelled and uncovered by Suanj. Is it possible that "Anna" was indeed EUNICE? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Joseph

Post by suanj »

sheilalloyd wrote:child Delores Heling (adopted last name) born Sept 15 1912 at St Anns Maturnity Hosp. 175 East 68th St New York, NY Father- Fred Smith born Copehagen, Germany Mother- Anna Joseph born in Sislcie, Italy. Sheila
Hi Sheila:
I have found this:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 4765020062

0003. .oseph, Euncie ( last name and first name)
M (gender)
31y(age)
S(single)
Italian(Ethnicity)
Rosigico(place of residence)(??)

but if you read The Manifest, you discover that name is:
Joseph Jonnise(misspelled???)
Date of Arrival :July 10, 1899- Port of Departure: Naples .

The important thing of all this, is that Joseph surname is present in Italy in 1899 year. Sorry, but Rosigico town not exist, perhaps is Roscigno(Salerno province)..?

Moreover a similar : Pietro Goseph, but in realty is :
Joseph (last name)Pietro(first name)
ethnicity: italian,
date of arrival: December 06, 1909
port of departure: Napoli
place of origin: Lanciano -Abruzzo(...probable, is misspelled!! and been born in Casacalenda-Molise region).
Also Joseph surname is present in Torano Castello (Cosenza province-Calabria region) around years interested..And Calabria is very near to Sicilia region!!(by www.familysearch.org)
etc...

Dear Sheila:
I ask myself why to Fred they have name town of origin( moreover Copenaghen is town in Denmark and not in Germany) and to Anna instead the region of origin.
Moreover is exact spelling Sicily (Sicilia), or to similar name ( you have written Sislcie..?).
the request is difficult, but not impossible, I ask to you with Peter, introduces us some other detail, as an example the name of the mother of Anna Joseph.. :roll: suanj
sheilalloyd

Surname Joseph

Post by sheilalloyd »

I have talked to my mother about all this and she gave me a newspaper article which was and interview with my grandmother about the orphan train here in the U.S. In it , it says"Unlike many of the orphans in the program, who were simply gathered off the streets of New York, Dolores Mary JOseph was born in St. Ann's Hospital of an unwed mother and placed in St. Joseph's orphanage. Her mother, Mrs. Pick was informed many years later, was born in Sicily, Italy. Her father was a railroad conductor, born in England". She was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Heling. She was legally adopted April 30, 1928, came on the orphan train June 5, 1917. Sheila
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

TYhere are two Heling surnamed persons researching Heling family surname and I have put out a request to them for any knowledge they may have for Delores heling. Should I hear froim them I will let you know.Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Sheila: The Joseph surname, is hebrew surnames in Italy ( www.holywar.org/italy/txt/cogno.htm ).
Task that your search could be addressed towards the sicialian Hebrew communities.. regards, suanj