Need some help with naturalization info

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Eton

Need some help with naturalization info

Post by Eton »

I was almost positive that my Great gramps had never naturalized, but I just recieved his death certificate today and it says he died a U.S. citizen. I've checked all the free online databases to find his naturalization info, but no luck. Anyone out there that can help?

His name is Giacomo Raia and he lived in the Bronx. The naturalization had to take place between 1913 and 1948. Anything you guys can dig up would be much appreciated!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Need some help with naturalization info

Post by wldspirit »

Even if naturalization is not discovered via the internet, does not mean he didn't naturalize........you would need to send in a request to the state archives or to ICE.
wldspirit

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

Eton wrote:I was almost positive that my Great gramps had never naturalized, but I just recieved his death certificate today and it says he died a U.S. citizen. I've checked all the free online databases to find his naturalization info, but no luck. Anyone out there that can help?

His name is Giacomo Raia and he lived in the Bronx. The naturalization had to take place between 1913 and 1948. Anything you guys can dig up would be much appreciated!
Start with the National Archives OnLine Ordering system at https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov. If he naturalized in a federal court, they should be able to produce copies of the records. Cost is only $16 (for certified copies, $10 for non-certified) and you are charged only if they actually find something. If you live in or near New York City, you can visit the NYC branch of the archives, search the records yourself, and pay just $0.50 per page copied.

Next, check with the Bronx County Historical Society (http://www.bronxhistoricalsociety.org/index.html). They hold records for persons who naturalized in state/county courts.

Both of these routes should yield results within a week or two; it is well discussed that the USCIS can take 1-1/2 to 2 years in many cases.
Eton

Post by Eton »

Thanks, I tried the NARA online ordering system and got an email that they couldn't process the request. I couldn't really figure out if that meant they needed more info or just couldn't find anything. I guess historical is next.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Several posters have recently sent ICE request and it did not take that long.... :? One request was less than four weeks......explore all possible avenues when researching family history, but don't discourage posters from using all available resources!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

wldspirit wrote:Several posters have recently sent ICE request and it did not take that long.... :? One request was less than four weeks......explore all possible avenues when researching family history, but don't discourage posters from using all available resources!
wldspirit
I agree. That is why I suggested *additional* resources with a track record for rapid response in addition to the previously suggested ICE/USCIS route.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Hi Eton,

I always belived that my great grandfather naturlaized when my grandfather was 5 years old ( here in Chicago). Both my grandfathers death cerrtificate and all the census data I found indicate this.
I went to the NRC here in chicago and to the county, sorry folks thats all the records. They told me that lots of people file first papers and thats it, life goes on they have kids. jobs etc. they don't go to the judge and take the oath after 5 years. These people may not have understood the process or just flat out lied, or maybe they did naturalize and the papers were lost. In any case I don't care as far as i am concerned they were not natualized. I am ammending , they call it 'inter-lining' my grandfathers death certificate ( a 5 month process sheeeesh) I havn't got that yet.
I am waiting on my grandfaters NO RECORD FOUND from washington . sheeesh thats another story i could write a book on....
Now as far as my great grandfather I am pullling my hair out on this one, I know where they came from ( using chruch maggiage records here in chicago) and have my grandfathers birth cert. I can not find a birth certificate from the same town Nocera Superiore for Francesco Corrado in 1855 ( had to write to the archive de stato civil in Salerno as it was before 1860) I wounder did he not come from that town and how could i find out were he was from. I wrote the parish priest using the address on the birth certificate to see if there was a chruch marriage record, otherwise does anyone have an idea ??? Many thanks for letting me vent! This site is the greatest thing, you are the greatest. If I can help anyone else I would be happy to.

Jon
Eton

Post by Eton »

So...If it turns out my great grandfather was never naturalized and I get a no records statement, does that mean I have to amend the death certificate to say he died an Italian citizen?
rosemarieraia

Post by rosemarieraia »

I am not sure if this is a longshot or not, but my grandfather John Raia had a brother James Raia which I think in the American version of the name your looking for. They were from Naples. My DNA yielded Campagnia, Salerno Naples.