Immigration

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Candelari

Immigration

Post by Candelari »

I live in Australia but am a US citizen under a 4/5/7 work visa. My Garandparents were born in Sicily and lived there until their 20"s, then they migrated to the US. My father may have been born there as well. I am having to check our records to verify that.
I was told that if my father or Grandfather were born in Itaily that I would aumtomaticall qualify for a passport... is that true?

Thanks you,

Chad Candelari
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Immigration

Post by drovedo »

You need your father's and or grandfather's Italian passport.

contact your local consulate for further details. They may also require cert. of citizenship, and some sort of proof that he never renounced italian citizenship before your birth.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Immigration

Post by mler »

If your father and grandfather were Italian citizens and never renounced that citizenship, you were an Italian at birth. But you don't supply any information about possible naturalization, and that may significantly affect your eligibility.

If your grandfather never naturalized or naturalized after your father's birth, you are eligible assuming your father was born in the U.S.

If your father was born in Italy, you must be certain that your grandfather did not naturalized when your father was still a minor (because that act would naturalize your father as well). If this is the case, and your father was born in Italy, you need to be sure that your father did not naturalize on his own behalf before you were born.

I have to add that there's nothing "automatic" about qualifying for citizenship jure sanguinis. You have to provide a lot of documentation to prove eligibility. But finding out about naturalization is the first step.