Carbonare and DeLuise

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Franco29

Carbonare and DeLuise

Post by Franco29 »

Trying to locate information about my family. When they arrived in NY from Italy, birth dates and places, etc.
Thank you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Carbonare and DeLuise

Post by suanj »

Franco29 wrote:Trying to locate information about my family. When they arrived in NY from Italy, birth dates and places, etc.
Thank you.
hi Franco.
The De Luise surname currently is present in just 100 italian commons in all region around.
But the probable origin surname is in Napoli area(Campania region).

The Carbonare surname cuenntly is present in 9 Italian Commons(Friuli Venezia Giulia-Trentino Alto Adige-Lombardia region: North Italy) but in the past this surname it came from the South Italy (Puglia or Abruzzo region)..

For better search, they are necessary at least first name and year of emigration ... :wink: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Hi if you go to www.ellisisland.org and look up their arrival you will find their year of birth and place of birth which is vital and essential for documents and finding relatives. Please let me know if you know they came in thru NYC,. If not and you do not know from what port they entered the USA as immigrant(s) then you have to file a form with NARA but first things first. Do the Ellis island thing. Peter
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Carbonare and DeLuise

Post by regina »

Franco29 wrote:Trying to locate information about my family. When they arrived in NY from Italy, birth dates and places, etc.
It would be helpful if you at least knew the approximate year of birth for those ancestors for whom you are seeking information. You should be able to find this info in death or marriage records, obituaries or the U.S. census.

If you know the approximate year of birth, you can check online for information about their arrival in the USA. Passenger manifests for persons who arrived in New York from 1892 to 1924 are available online. You can search the records at:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

Good luck,
Regina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Both the www.ellisisland.org websitge and the www. jewishgen...website are for NYC only and not any other port in the USA except NYC. Just so you understand that if both checks are negative then the next step is to file a form with Nation archives (NARA) in Washington or the area office nearest where they settled in the USA since that is where they would have normally entered the USA. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Both the www.ellisisland.org websitge and the www. jewishgen...website are for NYC only and not any other port in the USA except NYC. Just so you understand that if both checks are negative then the next step is to file a form with Nation archives (NARA) in Washington or the area office nearest where they settled in the USA since that is where they would have normally entered the USA. Peter
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies.
Suanj, the DeLuise name is on my mother's side. She had said that her parents were from Naples. The Carbonare name is my dad's, and his parents were from Sicily.
Peter, I am assuming that my grandparents entered the US through NYC as this is where my family settled and lived. I did a visit to the Ellis Island site. I located what may be a record for my mother's father. But how can I be sure, not knowing his specific date and place of birth?
The difficulty I am having is with my father's father. I cannot find any listing for him on the site. Additionally, his Americanized name of Daniel was probably not his given name. And to top that, he went by one or two variations of the Carbonare name on occasion: Carbone, and Carbonara.
Sigh.....and I don't know why.
Regina, estimated year of birth for both is 1895. Thank you for the link you provided. I was not aware of it and I'm headed there now.
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

What are the names of the ancestors (who were born about 1895) you are trying to find?

Regina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Franco your in good hands now. There are too many people in the kitchen. Between Regina and Suanj you will be fine. Lots of luck Peter
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

regina wrote:What are the names of the ancestors (who were born about 1895) you are trying to find?

Regina
Bernardino DeLuise, and Daniel Carbonare.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Franco:
I have found manifest on Ellis Island of a Domenico Carbonare - exact spelling from control direct reading (but has been badly transcribed: Domenico Carbonace. Carbonace not exist) birth place : Messina (Sicily) arrived 1 june 1912, age 17(therefore been born in 1895....). You would give a glance to this manifest? It suggests something to you? :idea: suanj
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Hi, suanj. Interesting find! It sure seems possible. But, that's the dilemma. How can one be absolutely certain that another individual with a similar name didn't also make the journey across the Atlantic?
Let's assume it is, in fact, my grandfather. From viewing the manifest, where does one find the date and place of birth?
Thank you.
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

Franco29 wrote:Bernardino DeLuise, and Daniel Carbonare.
Would you mind providing a little more info, such as the names of the wives and/or children of Bernardino and Daniel? I found a Bernidino DeLuisa and a Daniel Carbone in New York. Also, a Donato Carbonare enroute to New York. All were born in the 1890s. If I had a little more info, I'd know if I'd found your Bernardino or Daniel.

Of course, I wouldn't want to take the fun of searching away from you! Here are some tips for doing your own searches.

For the passenger manifests, use this website:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html

You can search using a first name or first initial and a full or partial surname and other criteria if you choose. Click on the "Search (new format)" button after you've entered your search criteria. On the results list, click on the "Scanned Manifest" view. On the next page, clicked the "Click to enlarge manifest" link. This will give you a nice view of one of the pages of the actual manifest. Many times the info is spread across two pages.

For the census records, you will have to find a library, Family History Center or National Archives Regional Center near your house where you can view the microfilms of censuses. Or you could be lazy like me and get a paid subscription to Ancestry.com

Regards,
Regina
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Franco29 wrote:Hi, suanj. Interesting find! It sure seems possible. But, that's the dilemma. How can one be absolutely certain that another individual with a similar name didn't also make the journey across the Atlantic?
Let's assume it is, in fact, my grandfather. From viewing the manifest, where does one find the date and place of birth?
Thank you.
Hi Franco:
this surname not is much frequent , can be thought in this occasion that the homonymy between two travellers is possible but not probable. Unfortunately not there is annotation of birthdate.
-In order to know if the person is right, please to read annotations of relatives and friends, and town where it went. These names suggest something?They supply precious indications. ...

-Please to read also Manifest for Venezia ship, Sailing from Naples-txt format, are others passengers from Messina town with Domenico Carbonare.. also these names suggest something? :roll:

Please let me know..regards, suanj
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Hi, Regina.
Bernardino DeLuise was married to Angelina Verde. They had two children: Daniel Deluise and Filomena DeLuise. Filomena's date of birth is August 17, 1922.
Daniel Carbonare was married to Anna Maniscalco. To the best of my knowledge she arrived in the US from Sicily, approximately 1903, at the age of about three. They had two children: Marie Carbonare, and Michael Carbonare. Michael's date of birth is January 21, 1922.
Hope all this helps. In the meantime I am going to revisit the jewishgen.org site. My first visit there came up short, but I'm willing to try again. Same with the ellisisland.org site. Filled with fascinating information. But with my lack of navigational know how I seem to run into dead ends in every direction I turn.
Thank you so much. I'll continue to plug away in the meantime.
suanj, I appreciate your efforts, also. Many, many thanks. I will review those annotations as you suggest to see if I can uproot any clues.