abbreviations

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

abbreviations

Post by girty »

does any one know what (ayb or agb) might mean under the health question on ellis island? my great great grandmother is vincenza deluca, from torre del greco, 1907, this is on her line. also if anyone can make out what the words are next to that, that would be great. thanks........
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a guide to interpreting passenger list annotations in the website at www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests. This will answer your questions. Peter
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

thanks peter. but that abreviation isn't showing up. i'll have to assume it has something to do with her health.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are about 4 other passengers of different ages and sex who have what looks like the intiials AYB or AGB as you say but id does not appear that it affected their being admitted as immigrants or that health questions were involved because that would have meant they would be held for a hearing of some sort. I think it might be something adminsitrative. Perhaps someone can come forward and help you out. Peter