need recommendation

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rawsocket

need recommendation

Post by rawsocket »

Has anyone used the services of myitalianfamily.com? Specifically, acquiring docs in Italy. I would like to have a recommendation before using them--it's a lot of money for me. Thanks.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

We certainly can ghuide you to do it yourself. it is painless and easy. You can go two ways. On way is to read the documents on microfilm at the family History Library of the Mormon church nearest your home and trace your entire family back to whenever civil records were initiated and the other is to send in form letters in Italian which we refer you to and reuqest documents from italy which is free of charge. Please let me know what you want to do. I am sure the Italiaamerica organziation is a fine rfeputable organization as I have communicated with him on several occasions and he appears to be genuine and forthright. Your move. Peter
rawsocket

Post by rawsocket »

Thanks for your interest!

My problem is this: I am trying to obtain citizenship jure sanguinis. In my case, nonno-padre-figlio. (My father was born in the US.) I believe I have all the docs I need (with apostilles) for me, my son, and my father. Grandfather is the problem. He was never naturalized. (My father told me he wouldn't allow english at home and he couldn't read or write in english or italian.) I sent form G639 to the INS asking for proof of citizenship or a letter saying he was never naturalized. I got a reply saying my request was on the "simple track" and would be handled. Meanwhile, I got a certified copy from the Nat'l Archives (complete with seal and ribbon) of the 1930 Census showing my grandfather claiming alien status at that time. (My father was born in 1911.) So this is question 1: will this be enough to handle the naturalization issue? Also, I wrote to the Ufficio in my grandfather's town in Italy and requested his marriage and birth records. That was 6 weeks ago. Perhaps I haven't waited long enough. Question 2: do I need to try another method to obtain these records?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I do not know enough about naturalization requirements to advise you but I suspect that the documents you requested are just about due so perhaps a telephone call to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Italy may disclose the status of your request if you are concerned or perhaps an inquiry by a relative or an office in Italy like my Italian family at genealogy@myitalianfamily.com who can expedite a request for you in Italy. You can call them here in the USA at 1-888-472-0171. They may also be able to answer your naturalization question as well.

The other organization Italiamereica at www.italiamerica.org/id72.htm may also answer your question about naturalization in their website. Peter