How do I find when and where they died?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

How do I find when and where they died?

Post by denman922 »

My GGGF and GGGM, I cannot find when and where they died. GGGF is

Jacob (Giacomo) Metz born 1857, Bronzollo, (BZ) Italy/Austria

HE came to America 1909 with daughter, IDA (ELLIS)

is listed census 1910 with son, Anton and daughter Maria in NY

is listed on passenger manifest 1920 after returning from a trip to the "old country",, so he is not listed in the census of that year, he came back to America, after census was over)

Jacobs daughter, Anna, ( my GGM) stated on her Washington co., PA marriage application in 1926 that both parents were living.

--------------------------------------------------------------

GGGM is Antonia Metz, maiden name: Bonati

born in Martelo, (BZ) Italy/Austria 1862?-1867?

came to America in 1910 with daughters, Anna(my GGM) and Carolina (Lena)

census 1920 living with Anna and Lena in Washington co, PA

Antonia's daughter, Anna, ( my GGM) stated on her Washington co., PA marriage application in 1926 that both parents were living.

In 1926/1927 the family moved to Brooklyn, NYC

census 1930, Antonia living on Myrtle st, near the Brooklyn Navy yard. Her marital status listed as Wd (widowed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my grandmother and her younger siblings have no memory of what happened to thier grandparents.

I wrote to State of PA for death certificate on Jacob, they searched 1924 thru 1933 NOT FOUND

I wrote to NY for Antonia for death cert, they searched 1930 to 1940, NOT FOUND

hmmmm anyone have an idea or reccomendation?

Thank you all for your help
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: How do I find when and where they died?

Post by Poipuo4 »

At least for the NY relatives, who lived in Brooklyn, have you searched the death index at www.italiangen.org? That index has deaths in the 5 boroughs of NYC until 1947. Do you know where any of these people are buried or any of their close relatives are buried? Often families are buried in the same cemetery and one may lead you to the other. Then you can order the internment card to get the death date and location and work backwards from there.

If that wedding certificate was from a religious institution, perhaps you can check with them. Maybe he was a member of that church and they would have some type of records if he died before moving to NY.
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Thanks Poipuo4 for your help, I tried the ItalianGen site to no avail. I have no idea where they are buried, though I suspect Jacob is buried in Washington co. PA

Antonia I guess would have been interrred in Brooklyn or possibly Queens. My GGM ( one of her daughters) is interred in PineLawn in Queens, though she is not listed "on-line" nor are any other family members I know are buried there.

Its not a wedding certificate, its an application for marriage in Washington co, PA between Anna Metz and Valeriano Libardi, typed, not written.

Also, I did go to the Catholic church that the family attended there (1920's) the church secretary was rude to me and would not assist me with my geneaology reearch, she stated privacy reasons. I'm quite sure My Great great grandparents would not have a problem with me "knowing" more about them. The secretary stated because of the problems with IDENTITY THEFT, etc. even though neither one of them LIVED long enough to have a SSN!! duh. I have to say that I encounter this problem with church staff, town hall staff, etc.. about 10% of the time. sucks when you travel across the country to research your family history and you are denied access to the records.
Descendant of Rotolo of Rizziconi, Cabriel/Gabriel of Belluno(BL), Froner,Ell,Ognibeni,Moschen of Levico Terme(TN), Libardi,Avancini of Barco di Levico(TN), Bernardi of Ponte nelle Alpi(BL), Metz of Bronzolo(BZ), Bonatti of Martello (BZ),Atz of Salorno(BZ
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Did you try giving the church some $$$? That has helped me out in getting fast and courteous replies. LOL.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

Yes, I did offer money. She asked me for a few names, and I gave them to her and I offered to pay. She quickly glanced at a few pages and said she couldn't find anything. I wanted to look over her shoulder, while she flipped through the pages, but she wouldn't let me. Everyone here knows that the hand writing on old documents can be difficult to read. and I know several of my ancestors are in the volumes of that church. In Marital and baptismal volumes, there are names of witnesses also, and I like to go down all the columns and take the time to read all the names. Geneaology research takes years not a few seconds and unfortunately there are a few people in this world in control of the information that should be more considerate. for the most part, 9 out of 10 places I have visited for records have helped me. the two that won't are a Catholic church in southwest PA and a town hall in NY.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Did you contact the Diocese, or just the local parish??
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You said Washington County, PA.....and you may have already seen this link for the church archives covering your area, but just in case..... :)
here is a link:

http://www.diopitt.org/archives/archives.htm

wldspirit

denman922
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denman922 »

I was in the church offices. the lady had the books right there in front of her. Next time I go back, I will take my GMa's cousin with me, she is 91 and has lived there her whole life.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A shame you had such a hard time.....our local archivist is helping me put together enough info on my grandparents for my application of dual citizenship.....her exact words..."I love these little legal puzzles"..she has been fantastic!!!!!

Good luck with your search....
wldspirit