Surname MUTO in Amantea, Cosenza, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Surname MUTO in Amantea, Cosenza, Italy

Post by VaDeb »

I have recently begun researching the MUTO surname in Amantea. All records found in the US have recorded the name as MUTO.

I have been surprised to find the name recorded as MUTO RASO in 2 birth records in Amantea.

The index listed: Muto Raso Teresa (1904)
Muto Raso Gaetano (1909) In the 1909 index Gaetano was clearly listed as the first name.

In the birth records the father is listed as Muto Raso Francesco.

Suanji was very kind in helping me translate the 1904 birth record noted above in an earlier post. Can anyone tell me if there is any special significance to Raso at the end of the name? I have found the Raso recorded on an Ellis Island record, but not on anything after that in the US.

Thanks in advance
Debbie
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Second Surnames

Post by JohnArmellino »

Dear Debbie

I encountered a similar situation when researching my di Soccio (aka de Socio) line. The Italian records recorded many family members as di Soccio Serone. To the best of my knowledge, this “second surname” was added to differentiate the various branches of an extended family from each other. According to one posting, this “second surname” was called a sopranome and was derived from different sources, such as a maternal cognome, a paternal name, an occupation, or a physical description. My family used this “second surname” sporadically in Italy and abandoned it in the USA. There may be other explanations for the use of a second surname, but this is the only one that I’ve come across.

If I remember my classics, the Romans also used a distinguishing name, which they called a Cognomen [the family name was called the Nomen and the given name was called the Praenomen]. Take, for example, Gaius Julius Caesar – his distinguishing name of Caesar meant “a fine head of hair.” Apparently he didn’t inherit that particular gene since he lost most of his hair at an early age.
John Armellino
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The surname Muto which is a variation od Muti is formed by the making of a surname using a persons affliction of inability to speak with the surname Raso. so that Raso meaning shaven is combined with Muto as Muto raso which literally translated means a shaven mute. It is interesting to note that the description of the family as outlined by John becomes the surname while the actual surname falls away into disuse. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Around 1880 year, in order to concur surer identification of the persons (not still accompanied from residence address) is rerun to double last names that bring back also the last name of mother... Muto=father; Raso= mother):wink: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Are you sure Raso is the mothers maiden name and that Muto is the fathers name?? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Are you sure Raso is the mothers maiden name and that Muto is the fathers name?? Peter
Nobody is sure of nothing to this world Peter.
But university professor Giuseppe Conton asserts that it is just.
That is: when in a town persons with a surname reside, and succeed in other persons to live in that same city, but they are not still residents, then in order to distinguish the original stock, from that arrived, inserted also the surname of the mother.
If Muto is remained in the time, is why it is the paternal last name. In Italy the paternal last name remains always.
Bye, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The person who posted the inquiry never said who was the father and who was the mother. In the Italian surname dictionary they explained that the surname Muto meant to identify a branch of the family. This is why I questioned who was who? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:The person who posted the inquiry never said who was the father and who was the mother. In the Italian surname dictionary they explained that the surname Muto meant to identify a branch of the family. This is why I questioned who was who? Peter
oh Peter, si, ma io lo sapevo perchè se ricordi avevo fatto la traduzione dell'estratto dell'atto di nascita dell'antenato, ecco perchè lo sapevo. Un saluto, a presto, ed anche un bacio, Raffaella
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Muto Raso Surname

Post by VaDeb »

I want to thank everyone for their respones. As I continue my research I will watch for the surname Raso.

Just to clarify the father of the children is Francesco Muto Raso. He was born about 1868. His wife and 3 children came to the US in 1911. On the passenger manifest "None" was listed in the column for nearest relative or friend in the country alien came from. Wife and children were born in Amantea according to manifest. I have not found a record of Francesco's passage to the US yet.

Francesco died in 1915 in Pennsylvania. The man who was the informant on the death certificate was Antonio Furgiuele (Surname has been spelled many different ways) who was also from Amantea. He left in 1905. On Francesco's death certificate his father is listed as Gaetano MUTO. Mother is unknown.

This makes me wonder. IF the families knew each other in Amantea, I would think Antonio would have known RASO was the name of Francesco's mother, especially if RASO was used to identify them. But, communication, literacy and grief have to be considered.

Once again, thanks for all the help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi Debbie:
The double last names in Italy derive from the first hypothesis listed in my previous answer, and from an other real hypothesis: affiliation. The child of known paternity can to be " affiliated" that is rendered son of an other family, and of it he takes also to the last name maintaining but that one of the legitimate father. Therefore the child has two last names. Regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Muto Raso Surname

Post by suanj »

VaDeb wrote:I want to thank everyone for their respones. As I continue my research I will watch for the surname Raso.

Just to clarify the father of the children is Francesco Muto Raso. He was born about 1868. His wife and 3 children came to the US in 1911. On the passenger manifest "None" was listed in the column for nearest relative or friend in the country alien came from. Wife and children were born in Amantea according to manifest. I have not found a record of Francesco's passage to the US yet.

Francesco died in 1915 in Pennsylvania. The man who was the informant on the death certificate was Antonio Furgiuele (Surname has been spelled many different ways) who was also from Amantea. He left in 1905. On Francesco's death certificate his father is listed as Gaetano MUTO. Mother is unknown.

This makes me wonder. IF the families knew each other in Amantea, I would think Antonio would have known RASO was the name of Francesco's mother, especially if RASO was used to identify them. But, communication, literacy and grief have to be considered.

Once again, thanks for all the help.
Hi: I have accidentally found this record, perhaps can interest you:

Francesco Muto Raso emigrated 1898 age 29 coming from Amantea(the surname is misspelled, but from reading ship manifest really are this data):

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2905070009
are others info , he travelling with others person of Amantea..
Regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Debbie You have seen record on Francesco Muto Raso of my previous reply?? :roll: suanj
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

MUTO in Amantea

Post by VaDeb »

Dear Suanj,

Thank you so much for finding the entry on Francesco Muto Raso. Its interesting how it was indexed by the folks at Ellis Island. The age and place of residence (Amantea) is correct. This does appear to be the person I have been looking for. My search continues, as he must have traveled back to Italy and returned to the USA about 1911. Perhaps, with time another passenger manifest will be found.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have been working my way through microfilm birth records from Amantea, and it takes me a great deal of time. I have also found a birth record for Francesco MUTO RASO born December 7, 1869. His father was Gaetano MUTO RASO, so the origin of the surname goes back further than I originally thought. I have also found birth records for 3 more children born to Francesco MUTO RASO and his wife. Thank you for all of your help.

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: MUTO in Amantea

Post by suanj »

VaDeb wrote:Dear Suanj,

Thank you so much for finding the entry on Francesco Muto Raso. Its interesting how it was indexed by the folks at Ellis Island. The age and place of residence (Amantea) is correct. This does appear to be the person I have been looking for. My search continues, as he must have traveled back to Italy and returned to the USA about 1911. Perhaps, with time another passenger manifest will be found.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I have been working my way through microfilm birth records from Amantea, and it takes me a great deal of time. I have also found a birth record for Francesco MUTO RASO born December 7, 1869. His father was Gaetano MUTO RASO, so the origin of the surname goes back further than I originally thought. I have also found birth records for 3 more children born to Francesco MUTO RASO and his wife. Thank you for all of your help.

Debbie
Hi Debbie I happy for you..Muto Raso surname are sure diffused in Amantea in year your search...here an other, perhaps relative
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2735100021
regards, suanj