Need help finding 1916 Chicago birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Need help finding 1916 Chicago birth certificate

Post by peggymckee »

I hope to acquire dual US-Italian citizenship.

I have no birth certificate for my father, born of Italian parents in 1916 in Chicago. My father died in 1994. I have

1. His baptismal certificate--I can get this apostilled
2. His passport, showing Dad's birthplace as Illinois. He got the passport without a birth certificate, based on a affidavit by his now deceased brother.
3. He is on 1920 & 1930 census with his parents.
4. I'm waiting for SS-5 to see how he vertified his birth for Social Security
5. I've asked Cook Co. Clerk to search for it. A search in 1972 had a "No Record Found" letter. So far, no response.
6. I've ordered the LDS index for delayed birth certs for Chicago.

Question 1: Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might find his birth certificate?

Question 2: Assuming that I cannot get his birth certificate, has anyone ever had to deal with a similar situation when applying for dual citizenship?

NYC consulate covers my area. Before I call them and ask, I'd like to know as much as possible. "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Many thanks, Peggy M
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Need help finding 1916 Chicago birth certificate

Post by corrado »

Peggy,

Are you in chicago, The LDS library in winetka has all the certificates before 1950.

Jon
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi Jon!

I'm near NYC. I'm still waiting for replies, but if all is negative, I'm willing to come (back!) to Chicago to look for what I need. I didn't know about the LDS facility in Winetka. That's really great information.

Can you think of anything else I can do from NY? The only other thought I had was that Dad might have filed the delayed certificate in another state. He was in Ohio from 1938 to 1942, Georgia in 1943, and back in Ohio in 1944-45, then Indiana, Pennsylvania, & back to Illinois.

Do you know anything about delayed birth certificates?

Many thanks, Peg
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Peggy,

Here are a copule of usefull sourses, you can check the social security yourself, belive it or not!! Also deaths prior to 1950 are on line..Hope that helps.....

Jon

Here is the illinois death index to 1950
www.ilsos.gov/Genealog...hsrch.html

social security death index
ssdi.rootsweb.com/
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/idphdeathsrch.html

oops that like didn't go though well there is the illinois secrectary of state death index, for social security just to a google on social security death index . You can look at ideas nicemusic and I and others were discussing, you may gleen something from there.....

Jon
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you can say us the name and birth year of your ancestor?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Surname: Marchi
DOB: 10 Nov 1916 in Chicago, Illinois
Baptismal name: Eusebio Luigi
Probable name on certificate: Louis or Luigi
Father's first name: Nello
Mother's maiden name: Luigia Bertellotti

Note: Birth year might be 1917 instead.

I found my Dad in the SSDI in May 2007 and requested his SS-5. (Still waiting for it.) I looked all over the web, including paid ancestry.com, but can find no birth record of any kind for him.

Many thanks, Peggy M
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in 6/5/1917, WWI draft registration card of Nello Marchi( born 15 dec 1887 in Sesto Fiorentino; resident in Stazzema town with Luigia Marchi.. probably married in Stazzema also) Louis was already born, so the correct birthyear is the 1916... Nello declared that was living with father, wife and 2 children... in 1177 ... Hervin Chicago ILL.. in the census of 1920 the address is different... so the address of 1917 could be the address where Louis Eusebio was born...

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Suanj,

First, thank you so much for your efforts! I already have the image of Nello's WW I draft registration card. He states that his father depends on him--but I had never considered before now that his father also might have come to the US. That's something I need to look into. Many thanks for noticing!

As to the address on the card, I believe it is 1123 W. Harrison. This is also the address that Luigia gives on her ship passenger record when she arrives at Ellis Island in 1915. Nello had arrived a year earlier. You are right that this is the address where my father was born. Again thanks for making that deduction!

Also, I know that 1916 is the correct year of my Dad's birth. I have Dad's baptismal certificate.

The problem is that I cannot locate Dad's birth certificate and am beginning to wonder if there is an error on the certificate. I mentioned 1917 because my Dad always said he was born in that year--even though it turns out that he wasn't. I am wondering if that is the error on the certificate that is making it hard to find.

So, I know more--but still not enough! But again, thank you so much for your efforts. BTW, I have located my grandmother Luigia's birth record in Stazzema. She and Nello were married in Stazzema in 1909. I hope to find the actual marriage record the next time I visit the family history center.

All the best, Peggy M
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

well it is very strange that the birthact in Chicago of your Dad is no available... as it is possible? it is very strange... if you have the baptism act is always a right data, but the civil birth act also must to be.... sometime the parents registered the birth of a child some time after the birth.. so you must search from nov 1916 ... it could be helpful... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Suanj--

I agree that it's strange. I have ordered from LDS a microfilm the index of Chicago delayed birth certificates. What I can get from LDS stops at 1949. I have seen the pages for MARCHI--but my father isn't there. I hope to have the whole index in a couple of weeks and will search more thoroughly.

Well, to be continued....I know that he asked Cook County to search for his birth certificate in 1973 and I found a "no birth record found" certificate from them. Unfortunately, although he was allowed, I don't think he filed a delayed certificate for himself at that time. I asked Cook County to search again and am awaiting their answer.

Peggy M
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I hope good luck for you.. you searched by mistaken surname? maybe as Maschi, Macchi, Morchi or similar? kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I am going to the archdiocese archive on Monday morning to look for my mothers Lithuanian parents marriage act, so if you want I can look for that 1916 baptism of Marchi. Did than live at 1100 Harrison (Racine)? Do you know what parish that is, I can ask the archivist if you don't know... let me know if you want me to take a look, I have had luck with other people in the room finding things......
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

could possably my family parish Guaridan Angles, or what is now re-named the Our Lady of Poompeii shrine.... you are just a few blocks from us
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Corrado (Jon?),

My father was born Nov. 10, 1916. His baptismal name: Eusebio Luigi Marchi. I'm pretty sure the home address was 1123 W. Harrison in Chicago. The church was Our Lady of Pompeii Church. His parents were Nello Marchi & Luisa Bertellotti. Any information that you can give me would be wonderful--but most especially if there is any indication that the birth was ever recorded "civilly"--if that's the right word.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need from me to help you search.

Many thanks, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi