Vincenzo Aluise - Maybe Mendicino, Consenza ??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Vincenzo Aluise - Maybe Mendicino, Consenza ??

Post by Staci4 »

Vincenzo Aluise (James is middle name I think - not very Italian sounding) came to the U.S. on the S.S. Ancona which sailed from Naples on January 8, 1910 and arrived in New York January 21, 1910. The ship's manifest had him listed with Castrovillari, Italy as the "last permanent residence" and his mother Anna in Castrovillari listed as "the name of the nearest living relative in country whence alien came".

I would love to get help on who his parents/family were and/or how to get more info on him.

Thank you!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Vincenzo Aluise - Castrovillari

Post by nuccia »

Stacy..

James was often used as the American version for Vincenzo..which I know sounds strange but it was.

Other than the ship manifest, have you found any other records for Vincenzo> If you have obtained all American documents then it should/could list his parents names on them.

This could also be another manifest for him..

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vincent J Aluise
Name: Vincent J Aluise
Arrival Date: 27 Nov 1945
Estimated birth year: abt 1900
Ship Name: Queen Mary
Search Ship Database: Search the Queen Mary in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_7031
Page Number: 290

Am going to find the manifest you are talking about to compare.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Staci....

The manifest in question...it lists not his mother as Anna, but rather that he left his wife, Lucia in Castrovillari. Lucia listed above, not below. Anna is the mother of passenger on line 29. Secondly, he is on his way to Havana, Cuba, where he was from 1907 to 1908.

Are you sure we have the correct manifest here? Where did your James settle in the US? What was the name of his wife and children? Do you know the wife's maiden name? All this can help identify him.

There was a James Aluise listed in the WWI draft registrations as living in Pennsylvania with his wife and a baby...does this sound about right?

Give us a bit more on where he lived here and his wife and kids, and we will see what we can find.

Also, James is the translation for the name Vincenzo. Sometimes it is translated as Vincent, but often it is translated to James. Something about how the pronunciation of Vincenzo...Cenzo... sounds when said in Italian.

Let us know...there are a lot of people with that name who arrived at Ellis Island and a lot within the frame work of +2/-2 years to 1910.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Also, James is the translation for the name Vincenzo. Sometimes it is translated as Vincent, but often it is translated to James. Something about how the pronunciation of Vincenzo...Cenzo... sounds when said in Italian.
Thanks for the confirmation Essgee! :D

Maybe we should post the manifest in question for easier viewing so others who wish to help can see it?

From www.stevemorse.org

First Name: Vincenzo
Last Name: Aloise
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Castrovillasi, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan 21, 1910
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Ancona
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

Vincenzo Manifest 19010

Page 2

It does appear he is going to Cuba to see his brother in law...something Saverico I think. I really can't read the name..maybe Essgee can read it?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Nuccia.....

Looked at her other posts and he lived in Sharpsburg, PA. There are a couple of manifests for the year 1905 that could be him. According to the WWI reistration, his birth was not in Castrovillari. Looks like ...well I can't read it clearly. The manifest is under the spelling of Aloise.

Now, the 1920 census states he arrived 1906, the 1930 states he arrived 1907. He is naturalized by 1930, but he an alien in 1920 so he had to apply between 1923 and 1930. The declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturaization, and actual granting of citizenship should

It also means that his wife, Mary, lost her natural born citizenship when she married him. She would have remained an alien unless she applied for a change in her status after he became a citizen. Something where paperwork might exist as well.

Now, off on a limb, his first son is Pasquale. There is a Pasquale, age 63, headed to Sharpsburg to son Domenico. With Pasquale is another son, Giuseppe. They are from Cerisano. Maybe this is the father?

Vincenzo's WWI record...immpossible for me to make out place of birth other then Cosenza, Italy. Many of the name came from Marina Di Fiumefreddo Bruzio...looks like it starts with Mari...but the rest is not long enough for the remainder, unless it is abbreviated.

The naturalization papers should solve that probem.

Have a great one, Nuccia!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

HE is the one in the 1920 census (Sharpsburg, PA) living with his B-n-Law adn then in 1930 with his wife and kids.

1932 he committed suicide so his wife and kids could support themselves during the depression. He ran a store (mercantile?) and had given credit to everyone so they could survive but then screwed himself and his family b/c they had no money to survive. So the suicide to get insurance money.

There are Orphan recprds that state he came to the US in 1910 which is where my father got his info from.

OH And yes his wife did have to get her citizenship again after marrying him. Which my father never understood but since I joined here I explained why :) Thank you!!
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Look for the naturalization papers for him. Also the Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization. They should give you the boat he arrived on and the year.

This 1910 passenger manifest you posted, definately lists a wife named Lucia. Mary was born in the US so unless he married twice, doubt this is his record. Could be he came and went back and came again to the US. Happened a lot.

It is sad that he felt he had no alternative at the time. I don't think we appreciate how horrible events were for everyone at the time. But the fact that the family survived and flourished is a testament to him and his wife.

Check for the citizenship papers and let us know how it goes!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

From Essgee:
There was a James Aluise listed in the WWI draft registrations
as living in Pennsylvania with his wife and a baby
According to the WWI reistration, his birth was not in Castrovillari.
Looks like ...well I can't read it clearly.

May help, possible the town could be
Mendicino Cosenza
Valarie
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

It is definately wrong. My father got the info (arrival year) from the Board for Orphans (or whatever it is called). Anyways on the 1920 Census he, Marie and 3 of their kids are living with his Sister and brother in law. It says his arrival date was 1906 and then in the 1930 census he and Marie are living on their own with their kids but it says 1907 as when he arrived in US.

He and his Brother bought a building which was split in two. He ran a grocery from on section and lived above with his family. His brother lived next door and ran some other store on the other part (living above).

How do I do this? "Look for the naturalization papers for him. Also the Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization. They should give you the boat he arrived on and the year."

THNAK YOU EVERYONE!!

Oh and on a side note. My father said he used to go by Jim so the whole james being "American" for Vencenzo makes sense!! My dad never met his grandfather but could never figure out why they called him Jim :)
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

VJ.....

You are on to something with Mendicino...it is next door to the town of Cerisano...where Pasquale was from. And just a bit west...less then 10 miles, is the comune of Marina Di Fiumefreddo Bruzio where the surname could be found at the beginning of the last century.

Great job.......as usual!
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Staci....

Check out this site on naturalizations in the state of Pennsylvania. Go to the section on finding papers in the Court system. Most naturalizations were done in Superior Courts.

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/naturali.htm

You might also check out the Family History Library for copies. They have microfilmed a whole lot of petitions and declarations.
Go to:

www.familysearch.org

Others here who have dealt specifically with Pennsylvania naturalizations, might have more detailed info that can help.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Staci,

Have you thought to write for his records under FOIA? Its definitely an option. It does take some time but its also worth a try.

You can download the forms off this site..

http://www.visapro.com/US-INS-Forms/Fre ... equest.asp

Hope this helps. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

Essgee wrote:Staci....

Check out this site on naturalizations in the state of Pennsylvania. Go to the section on finding papers in the Court system. Most naturalizations were done in Superior Courts.

http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/bah/dam/naturali.htm

You might also check out the Family History Library for copies. They have microfilmed a whole lot of petitions and declarations.
Go to:

www.familysearch.org

Others here who have dealt specifically with Pennsylvania naturalizations, might have more detailed info that can help.
The PA Website only goes to 1906 (Unless I am reading it wrong, which is a definate possibility, hehe)

I am having issues finding the right James Aluise or ANY Vincenzo Aluise onthe FHL.

Thank you for all of the help!! It gives me a starting point to start digging harder!!
Staci4
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Staci4 »

nuccia wrote:Staci,

Have you thought to write for his records under FOIA? Its definitely an option. It does take some time but its also worth a try.

You can download the forms off this site..

http://www.visapro.com/US-INS-Forms/Fre ... equest.asp

Hope this helps. :D
Cool! They are printed and I will be doing this!

Thank you!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Staci4 wrote:Vincenzo Aluise (James is middle name I think - not very Italian sounding) came to the U.S. on the S.S. Ancona which sailed from Naples on January 8, 1910 and arrived in New York January 21, 1910. The ship's manifest had him listed with Castrovillari, Italy as the "last permanent residence" and his mother Anna in Castrovillari listed as "the name of the nearest living relative in country whence alien came".

I would love to get help on who his parents/family were and/or how to get more info on him.

Thank you!!
Hello Vincenzo Aluise parents are stated in his birth record.

You can easily find it, writing a request only in italian, to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Corso Garibaldi - Palazzo Calvosa
Responsabile: Dott. Francesco MARTINO
87012 Castrovillari (CS)
Italy

demografici@comune.castrovillari.cs.it

Telefono:
0981/25304
0981 25307
0981 25302
Fax: 0981 21007

The real birth record states: right date and place of birth, name, ages, occupation and residence of parents, address where birth took place ( at that time birth usually took place at home, going and staying in hospital was expensive for normal people)
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol: