Name Discrepancies and the NYC Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
hellosquire
Rookie
Rookie

Name Discrepancies and the NYC Consulate

Post by hellosquire »

I wanted to start a thread dealing with how the NYC Consulate deals with name discrepancies. I realize that there are many threads dealing with the resolution of name discrepancies already, but most of them pertain to other consulates and to states that are willing to amend or attach affidavits to documents of deceased persons.

If anyone has had any experience dealing with name discrepancies and the NYC Consulate, please post here. I'm eager to know what their requirements are and how you went about resolving your particular issue. Has anyone had any luck in having New York State correct the birth certificates of deceased persons? I was told that this can't be done.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Name Discrepancies and the NYC Consulate

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
since I had the chance to translate several civil records from US, for people who wanted to apply for italian citizenship, with my little experience I understand that people go for an amendament to the civil record office that issued the record,with the proof (ex. certificate from italy) that the name was written in the bad way.
So the registrar there in US makes another document ( to be also translated into italian) stating that the name was written bas as ***** and the right way of writing it is xxx.
I hope I was clear
bye Riccardo