Immigration to South Africa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
andre_sa

Immigration to South Africa

Post by andre_sa »

Does anyone have any information on ships and family's etc that emigrated to South Africa....i know my family is one of a few that settled in a small village near Cape Town. Any information would be helpfull.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Immigration to South Africa

Post by ricbru »

Give us more and any details and we show you the right way
bye Riccardo
andre_sa

Post by andre_sa »

Thanx Riccardo

Am not sure of exact dates that they arrived in SA, or left Italy. My Family, Antonio Sieni who was married to Cecilia Elizabeth Helena Tallie left Sicily and settled in a small fishing village in Cape Town called Langebaan and i know a number of other Italian families settled there aswell. At the time SA was a british colony, and on his application for citizenship, in 1906 it states he had resided there 15 years, so im assuming they arrived in 1891. We believe they were from Messina and i believe they came to SA together, although they were married in SA. Going on the info of their marriage certificate, and on his death certificate, he was born in August 1868, and she was born in 1873 sometime.

Just basically after any new info anyone can offer, my grandfather has been trying to trace Antonio Sieni's birth certificate down since about 2002, and now i am trying.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe the Cecilia surname could be TALLO or TALLILLI .... Tallie don't exist...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
andre_sa

Post by andre_sa »

Thanx Suanj

Will have a word with my grandfather and look into that, i appreciate the help !
andre_sa

Post by andre_sa »

Had a chat with my grandfather...the information on Cecelia is a bit sketchy. She was apparently born in SA, but her father Alfred Tallie was Italian....again though because its so sketchy it could have been one of those surnames you mentioned, and not sure where in Italy he is from. So that means Antonio Sieni must have gone to South Africa alone.
andre_sa

Post by andre_sa »

Another thing.....i know the churches kept alot of records back in those days....would i be able to trace maybe a baptism certificate or something of those sorts from the catholic diocese of Messina to get more info ? I had a look at their website, but obviously being in Italian i dont know what im looking at.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Since he was from Messina (or Messina province) to know where he was born you can request his military draft card or military record to

Archivio di Stato di Messina

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... me=MESSINA

I hope it helps,
Riccardo
andre_sa

Post by andre_sa »

Thanx for the link there Riccardo.....do i need to write to them, or will they reply to an email if i send it to the address on that site ? And do i need to translate it into Italian, or will English suffice ?

Again thanx for all the help !
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

you should write a request in italian to their email, and ask if they can send you the copy of the document directly to your personal address
bye Riccardo
caylac

Post by caylac »

Apparently there is a street named After your Grandfather in Langebaan,Antonio SIeni Street.

Says that they arrived at the same time of the Marra family who basically own Langebaan.