Please check my translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Please check my translation

Post by peggymckee »

Hi!

I received the birth & marriage acts (certificates) of my grandmother. I want to send an Email to the person who sent them, thanking him. I don't speak Italian, so I used Babel-fish. I want to say "I received" or "I have received" but I'm pretty sure my verb is wrong person & tense.

Also, here is the person's name "Operatori: Giusti Bruno". Is Giusti the surname (last name)?

Here's my Italian attempt. Corrections & changes most welcome.
Caro Sig. Giusti,

Oggi, 3 agosto, 2007 io ricev nascita e unione certificato mio nonna, Bertellotti Terese Alida Luigia. Molto ringrazi per vostro rapido risposta.

Grazie infiniti,
Here's the web address of Stazzema Stato Civile.
http://www.comune.stazzema.lu.it/index. ... tura&id=62

Many thanks in advance! Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Please check my translation

Post by Poipuo4 »

[
Caro Sig. Giusti,

Oggi, 3 agosto, 2007 io ricev nascita e unione certificato mio nonna, Bertellotti Terese Alida Luigia. Molto ringrazi per vostro rapido risposta.

Grazie infiniti,

Hi, Peggy,
In all fairness, the native Italians or fluent speakers are the ones who are best at translating. As some others will tell you, don't use Babelfish or any other of those sites unless you have some sense of how to conjugate verbs and place objects, etc... Babelfish is useful if you don't know what a word is and you use it like a dictionary. For actually writing a letter, it is a bad idea.

This is my best guess and I offer it only for the natives to improve on it and to see how on or off I am with my Italian studies:

Egregio Sig. Giusti
Oggi, il 3 di agosto 2007, ho ricevuto l' atto di nascita ed il certicato di unione della mia nonna Bertellotti Terese Alida Luigia. Li ringrazio molto per la sua riposta rapida.

Distinti saluti,
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Poipuo4,

I know Babel fish isn't good for full sentences. I'm hoping to take a beginners course in Italian in the fall. Many thanks for your translation. Not only with Sig. Giusti receive a nice Email, but I learned a few things from seeing how you fixed my first attempt. Again thank you.

All the best, Peggy M
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Egregio Sig. Giusti
Oggi, il 3 di agosto 2007, ho ricevuto l' atto di nascita ed il certicato di unione della mia nonna Bertellotti Terese Alida Luigia. Li ringrazio molto per la sua riposta rapida.

Distinti saluti,
Egregio Sig. Giusti
Oggi, 3 Agosto 2007, ho ricevuto l' atto di nascita e di matrimonio di mia nonna Bertellotti Teresa Alida Luigia. La ringrazio molto per la sua risposta rapida.

Distinti saluti,
[hr]
so it is better
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Many thanks Suan J--I've learned a lot trying to translate something and then finding out what I should have said! Peg
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Thanks, sunaj. It is good to see how it should be done by a native speaker!
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia