Surname Arpaia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LNArpi

Surname Arpaia

Post by LNArpi »

I'm just starting to research my family history, if anyone has any information about anyone with the surname Arpaia (my grandfather was Nicolo Arpaia and my great grandfather was MichaelAngelo Arpaia). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Arpaia

Post by suanj »

LNArpi wrote:I'm just starting to research my family history, if anyone has any information about anyone with the surname Arpaia (my grandfather was Nicolo Arpaia and my great grandfather was MichaelAngelo Arpaia). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
an Michelangelo Arpaia (from http://www.familysearch.org/) is born in Siano's town 1858 year, married the 24 Jun 1909 in Terracina's town with Maria Botto born in Siano.
Siano is in Salerno province-Campania region, and Terracina is in Latina province-Lazio region.
It is this Michelangelo your ancestor??
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Work bakcward to find the town of origin./ Go to www.ellisisland,.org and look up your father and/or grandfather who came from Italy and see if you can locate them/him and get the town of origin and year of birth and get back to us. Remeber that all records in Italy are in the town of origin in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Peter
LNArpi

Post by LNArpi »

Sorry, no my great grandfather was born in Trapani, Sicily in 1878, that's where I'm starting my search, I'm very new to this. My family unfortunately did not come in through Ellis Island, they came in through either Mobile Alabama or New Orleans (no one has the records), it was only through luck that I recently found out my great grandfathers name or where he originally came from. Thanks for your help!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If they did come in thru a port other than New York you could either go thru the microfilm at the Family History Library of the Mormon church earest your home or file form 81 (passenger arrival record for the uSA) with NARA. (go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm) and mail to NARA (national recrods Adminsitration) Attn:NWCTB, 700 pennsylvania avenmue, NW Washington, DC 20408-0001.

What surprises me is that your very quick to not ask for additional information about obtaining documents from Trapani or finding relatives. is this because you are very familiar with genealogy and do not need any information from this website and were just "fishing"?? Peter
LNArpi

Post by LNArpi »

I am just starting my search and am starting with my great grandfather, I assumed, perhaps wrongly that when I was asking about my grandfather, that that was a starting point and was also asking about the rest of my relatives. Unfortunately, I do not yet know most of the resources that most of you have and was asking if anyone happened to know of him or any other relatives or of anyway that I could find them. My family here has tried several resources and was not able to find any. The only reason I know my great grandfathers actual name (it was changed when he came to the USA) is because I stumbled upon a distant relative from his wifes side that had the information. I am trying to fin from him backward, I figured that would be the easiest way. I apologize if I seemed to only be fishing around, but as I said I'm very new at this and don't know most of the resourses. I was asking for help. I apologize if it seemed otherwise.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

May I suggest a book: Discovering Your Italkian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. This is an excellent book to acompany your research of the microfilms at the Family History Library nearest your home of the Mormon church for the city of Trapani. Peter