Missing passenger? - Ellis Island Ship Manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Missing passenger? - Ellis Island Ship Manifest

Post by jenalonso »

On the naturalization records of my great-grandfather (Eugenio Nostrame), it says he arrived in New York on the ship Massilia on March 17, 1906. However, I searched every page of the original ship manifest and I can not find any trace of him.

Does anyone know of any reason my great-grandfather was not listed?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Jennifer
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Missing passenger? - Ellis Island Ship Manifest

Post by Biff83 »

Jenalonso,

I've just completed a page by page look at the 43 original ship manifest pages of the Massilia for 17 Mar 1906 and found no possibles for Eugenio. The handwriting was horrible but I found nothing resembling your Eugenio.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Wow, Biff, that was really nice of you! I have seen your other entries on here for many people and you, like Suanj, are SO helpful!

Do you have any idea why he wouldn't be listed? I was thinking he was probably on it since whoever filled out his Declaration of Intent had the ship name AND date right. Do you know what I mean?

Thanks!

Jennifer
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

The fact that both the vessel and the arrival date match from his Declaration makes this a real mystery.
Page(s) were lost/destroyed?
Long shot possibilites. Page(s) were somehow misindexed under another vessel that arrived on the same date? Pages were misindexed under the correct vessel but the wrong date?
Very strange.

Biff
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well, I've searched Ellis Island records for his name. Any way to search for someone using their first name & town of origin only?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

jenalonso wrote:Thanks for your thoughts.

Well, I've searched Ellis Island records for his name. Any way to search for someone using their first name & town of origin only?
Here ya go. Steve Morse's site will let you do that or a host of other combinations.
Steve Morse Gold Form

Jena, in checking on Ancestry I quickly located Eugenio and family in Jersey City on the 1930 and 1920 censuses. Both census records showed 1906 as arrival date for Eugenio and Rose. Not sure if they were in NY or NJ in 1910 as I'm still trying to locate that census record. If you'd like, I can link the census records for you. The 1906 arrival year is coming up pretty consistently.

Biff
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

And thanks for the site, Biff, I'm searching now....
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Jenna-

Check this link out. It says the first name as euginio (eugenio) and lists him as brother (no last name). Ship is correct but date is the 7th not 17. You didn't specify where he came from and this says Roma di (something)

Could this be him?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030

Regards,

Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

It might say Rama or Roma di Caiazzo?
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

billiedekid: Thank you so much for your help, but I don't think that was him. It's not the right age and he was married by then.

Thanks again! Very much appreicated!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jenna

What information do you have for him? full name of his wife, birthday or age at arrival, children before arrival, when his wife came or if she and/or children came with him and their names etc.

I'm on a mission now!!!!
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Thanks!

haha....it's funny you feel that way because I'm starting to give up! haha!

Hey, but if you insist: :)

Eugenio Nostrame: dob: 19 Aug 1871
wife: Maria Rosa (Rosa Maria) Mangiacapre: dob 30 June 1883
Emigrated 1906. He came first. His papers say he was on Massiglia arriving on March 17, 1906 (but can't find him anywhere). Rosa & 3 kids (Vincenza, Concetta & Clementina) came later in August (I have this manifest & a later trip she took also).
They both traveled from Naples arrived in NY. Later lived in NJ.

Thanks again!