Latin help needed! Any idea what this document is?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
packjev

Latin help needed! Any idea what this document is?

Post by packjev »

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the meaning / translation of this document?

Here's what I know:

+ The document is regarding my girlfriend's great grandmother (Cignotti, Rosa).

+ It appears that the document is from the diocese of Fano and that the Bishop of the time was named Giustino Sanchini.

+ I think it speaks about Rosa's father (Fortunato), and perhaps her mother (Omiccioli, Maria)

+ The date 1 August 1889 is the day after Rosa's birthdate (maybe her baptismal date?).

+ There are a couple of mentions "Matrimonio." She was single at the time, and left in Jan 1920 to go to the US (right after this document was signed, it would seem). She arrived and married Rodolfo (from the same town, but living in the US), though I have no record of the marriage.

+ From Trafford Cole's book, the only thing I could come up with was that maybe it was a case of, "marriage to someone of the third degree of consanguinity (a second cousin) had to be approved by the bishop..."

Anyway, has anyone seen this document, or know what it means? The handwritten parts are tough to make out, unfortunately. 8O

Thanks!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Latin help needed! Any idea what this document is?

Post by misbris »

I may be totally off with this, but I think it is a document attesting that Rosa was baptized and she is single. (She is in a free state and nothing stands in the way of a marrage)

She probably needed this to get married in church in the US.

Someone else may have a better knowledge of Latin. High school was a long time ago.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

This is a stab at it. It looks like the bishop is being petitioned to have the tribunal sit immediately to act upon the request. And it looks like it could be to let someone out of a marriage or to give approval for someone to marry a person of another religion. That's just a wild guess.

And notice is sent to a higher tribunal to sit immediately.
Bishop Fanensis

All together and one each , to whom with a ready Our Epistle knowning and making testament from the deposition oathes encourages to form Sacred Assembly Inquisition to examine completely

Hand written part

to drag or delay ; all together to go move upon the law to set free to contrahendum (?) marriage to have been.

Testimony as mentioned above or before mentioned (then check marks)

free and spontaneus agreement about Marriage in a like manner S. R. out of ritual

fil (?) - no idea what it means

degenti in - to be unlike one's kind upon

uti ex actis - to act

Upon of which faithful etc.

From the office of Cancellaria Episcopal on this day December 30, 1919
packjev

Post by packjev »

Thanks for the stabs, misbris and BillieDeKid.

I'm pretty sure "Fanesis" is referring to the town of Fano in Pesaro, and that the bishop's name was Giustino Sanchini.

Maybe the "out of ritual" bit is just about her going to the US to marry, though that "degenti in - to be unlike one's kind upon" part does suggest they might have had different religions or something.

Hmmm... Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks!

Jon
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jon,
The Latin word Justinus means - Justice - in English
The Latin word et means - and - in English
The Latin word Apostolic means - notice sent to a higher tribunal - in English.
The Latin word sedis means - to sit - in English
The Latin word gratia means - in order to, on account of, grace, gratitude, esteem, for the sake of, obligation, favor, thanks - in English
The Latin word episcopus means - Bishop - in English. (Bishop Fanensis)

Those are the top few lines of the document. The top line is the word Justice with his last name and the Episcopus would be the Bishop.

Regards,

Elizabeth
packjev

Post by packjev »

Thanks for your help, Elizabeth. My Latin knowledge is non-existent.

Jon
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Jon,

You can probably take your document to a priest at your local catholic church and he would be able to translate it for you and tell you exactly what it means.

My cousin had studied to become a priest and I know they had to study Latin.

Good Luck

Elizabeth