Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Post by peggymckee »

Hi!

When an Italian couple becomes engaged to be married, it is the custom for the man to give the woman an engagement ring?

If so, what would be a typical ring in Italy? In the US, typically it is a diamond ring with no colored stones. In England, often it is a colored stone (e.g. saphire) surrounded by diamonds. What is the typical Italian engagement ring like?

If wearing an engagement ring is customary, on which hand and which finger is it worn?

I know that there are many "exceptions" but I'm just asking about what is typical--or Italian engaged couples--what did you do?

Many thanks, Peggy M.
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Post by BillieDeKid »

Peggy -

This is a four part article that covers everything from engagements to ceremonies to receptions. Maybe Sunj or Ric etc. can give you there thoughts.

http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/wedding.htm

http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/wedding_part2.htm

http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/wedding_part3.htm

http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/wedding_part4.htm

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Many thanks Elizabeth:

The links you gave mention a solitary diamond ring, a diamond "veretta" (a ring with diamonds all around that symbolizes the eternity of love) and two others that interest me greatly.

[quote]1. In Bolzano and Alto Adige the engagement ring in golden silver represents an ancient romantic image: two hands holding a heart, a crown or a flame.

2. The ancient Umbrian ring in silver, going back to the XV century, is characterized by an engraving representing a woman facing a man to symbolize the future spouses with a flower bouquet in the middle. In the inner side of the ring the words “Amore vole vole feâ€
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I've been looking Peggy and can find plenty of text about these items but no photos.

I'll keep looking. I have a few other ideas on how to get to a site with photos of them.

If you find a site before I do, let me know.
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Hi Elizabeth--I've looked but I can't find any pictures either. If you find anything, please post it. Many thanks for your effort. Peg
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Peg-

I'm STILL looking! I have found every other type of ancient ring, old ring, antique ring - except for what we are looking for.

Now it's become my personal challenge!!!!!!

I'll be going to the library later this week and will check it out there. Hopefully I'll be able to find some photo's.

Elizabeth
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

My relatives in Italy would often refer to the ring as a "fede" which is almost like saying "faith" the ring I would often see was just a gold band, this was a symbol of the wedding ring/ engagement ring. Not in all areas of italy but I did see it often in the past.
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Melina -

You're so right. I believe this is on the right track for what Peg is looking for. Thanks so much.

http://www.sapphirelane.com/Italian_Poesy_Rings.htm

Elizabeth
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Melina & Elizabeth--many thanks!

Melina, have you ever heard of an engagement or wedding ring that has an engraved picture of a woman facing a man to symbolize the future spouses with a flower bouquet in the middle? Supposedly this is also a very ancient design from Umbria.

Again thanks! Peggy M
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Hi Peggy,
I have never seen that kind of ring however there is the website that mentions it, it was in the posts earlier. I have never heard or seen of this kind but it might be that my contacts are just to young.

http://www.italiansrus.com/articles/wedding_part2.htm

Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

peggymckee wrote:Hi!

When an Italian couple becomes engaged to be married, it is the custom for the man to give the woman an engagement ring?

If so, what would be a typical ring in Italy? In the US, typically it is a diamond ring with no colored stones. In England, often it is a colored stone (e.g. saphire) surrounded by diamonds. What is the typical Italian engagement ring like?

If wearing an engagement ring is customary, on which hand and which finger is it worn?

I know that there are many "exceptions" but I'm just asking about what is typical--or Italian engaged couples--what did you do?

Many thanks, Peggy M.
Peggy, you piqued my curiosity with this one!

My little bit of research turns up the Italian term for engagement rings, "anello di fidanzamento" and a Google image search leads to this page.

Hoping this is helpful...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 79,400 references tol ANELLO DI FINDANZAMENTO as title on Google.com and it boggles my mind how there could be so much written about the subject!! =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I got 187.000 hits that were reduced to 30.400 when I wrote it between quotes...
carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carinthiangirl »

>>When an Italian couple becomes engaged to be married, it is the custom for the man to give the woman an engagement ring?<<

my god, not only italians do that! it´s usual around Europe and the world.....
don´t think there is some typical in a country. fact is that people most time buy a ring which they can afford. so rich ones will buy an expensive and the not so rich will buy a not so expensive ring and all one who looks well to them.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

carinthiangirl wrote:>>When an Italian couple becomes engaged to be married, it is the custom for the man to give the woman an engagement ring?<<

my god, not only italians do that! it´s usual around Europe and the world.....
Hehe. I think the original poster meant to type "is it" instead of "it is". :)