Translation of letter to living relatives

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation of letter to living relatives

Post by Last »

Hi, i want to keep you all posted as to the conversations I am having with my relative from Italy.

Well........... I haven't received anything for two weeks. Nothing. I have e-mailed him and nothing returned.

I don't know what happened. I hope he or a family member is not sick.

:?

Ciao!
Chuck
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

You know, I was "missing" your cousin too! I almost posted to see what was new, but did not want to seem "weird" since he is not my cousin too! LOL. Remember, he has those headaches, so that may be keeping him away from the keyboard. I would not worry yet. Give him some more time. He seems so happy to be reunited with you, I am sure there is some reason that he has not responded. Perhaps the person that translates for him is on vacation.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hello Poipuo4

I was wondering one thing about the culture in Italy. I was told they take more vacation time they we in the USA. We in this country seem to not get the big picture. It is a life to live not to work.

Ciao!

Chuck
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

August is a traditional month for vacations in Italy( or at least it used to be.) Businesses closed and cities emptied out and everyone went home to visit family or to a resort. We all have been following your cousin's messages. I'm sure you'll hear from him soon.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Last, I finally made contact with a cousin in Italy too! I hope this relationship will evolve like yours with your Italian cousin.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hello Poipuo4, well today makes three weeks that I haven't had any contact with him. I hope he and his family are well. I sit and wait and wait but nothing. I hope you cousin helps you in you search. Good luck to you.

Ciao!

Chuck
:?
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Thanks, Chuck. I am so excited, I could burst. LOL. I even re-read your letters from your cousin to see how one of these relationships evolve. LOL. I really think that you should not worry about three weeks passing. It is very possible that the headaches are keeping him away from writing. Also, he may be busy researching and has nothing to report. He seems truly sincere in his interest in your family. I just found out that my cousin studied English for 4 weeks. I have studied Italian for 10 weeks, so together...well, we are in big trouble. LOL.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi Poipuo4, I know exactly how you feel, the emotion is so much to handle. There are so many questions you want to ask. I am sure you will be able to converse with you cousin just fine. Yes my cousin did sound sincere didn't he. I just hope he and his family are not ill. Please let all of us know how things go with you cousin. We all all intersted, I know I am.

Stay well
Ciao!
Chuck
Parente, Camerlengo, De Iorio, Di Luca, Mirra, Mirro, De Stefano, De Spirito
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hi Poipuo4, how are you? Have you received any information from your cousin? Where does he live.

Today is Tuesday AUgust 28, 2007 and I still have not received any e-mail from Gerardo.

I am very sad about this situation. :cry:

Chuck
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

My cousin lives in Calabria. It looks like our family was very strict about following naming traditions. When she told me the names of her grandfather, ggf, and great aunts and uncles, many were the same names on my branch. This has led me to believe that my ggf and her ggf were brothers! We both knew that our ggfs had a brother Giacomo. I was only able to trace one sibling of my ggf so far. What a stroke of luck that the one sibling I found, was a known sibling to my new cousin! Our ggfs named their first born sons and daughters the same names, indicating that they descended from the same line. I think city hall was closed or something, so her father has not found out yet what ever happened to my ggf. He either died or disappeared in 1911, no trace. But take comfort in this: my cousin told me that she was going to be out of town for a few weeks and that she would not be able to keep up this pace of writing every day with work. I am glad she told me that up front because as you know, in these first days of writing, you want to know everything and make up for 100 yrs. of lost time. This may be what is going on with your situation, but your cousin did not tell you that he would be away or be unable to write regularly.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

It sounds like you are making some headway. Good luck with your research. It was the same in my family also. the name game was played the same. It can be confusing at times to know exactly who is who, and who belongs to who.

It was nice to let you know about not being able to keep up the writing pace. Atleat you will not be in the same boat I am in.

Keep us posted.

Ciao!
Chuck :)
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Sorry to hijack your post, Chuck, but this is the easiest place for you to find it. Today my cousin wrote to me. Her father went to the city hall and CONFIRMED in the records that her ggf and my ggf were brothers and that Giacomo was a brother too. I am so thrilled with this news. I had my theories, and it is so satisfying to have them confirmed. Now, devo imparare l'italiano! (I must learn Italian!) I can read it generally, but it is so difficult to write it and the course offerings for a working person at night are slim in my community. I have one option which I have to take a test to get into the class. I may start studying.
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Great news........ :D I am so happy for you.. Start studing :)

Will they send you a copy of the records? I like having paper in my hands that show the connections but then thats me.....

I called Gerardo's brother last night, its a long story how I know he lives in Boston. When I explained that I haven't received anything for three weeks his only responce was that maybe he has no information for me and therefore no communication was necessary. He said that when he speaks to Gerardo, he will let him know I haven't heard from him in a long time.

I told his brother Nunzio that I would mail the current information I have on the family to him today.

Feel free to write at any time.

Ciao!
Chuck
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Chuck,

I've been following your posts silently. I sure hope you hear from your cousin soon and that all is well. I've enjoyed keeping up with your story.

Elizabeth
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hello Elizabeth, I too hope everything with my cousin and his family are OK. I ,mailed some information about our family to him today. I has been hard on my nerves waiting to hear from him. Maybe I will try to go with that old saying "good things happen to those who wait" It had to do that though.

Take care

Chuck