Translation of letter to living relatives

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Translation of letter to living relatives

Post by BillieDeKid »

I think if something was wrong his brother in Boston would have told you (I would think). So hang in there. Maybe something happened to his computer etc.

I know the waiting is hard, but you're right, good things DO come to those who wait - so hang in there. Your cousin seems genuinely happy to be in contact with you so I'm sure he'll be hearing from him soon.

Take care,

Elizabeth
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

It is more than likely that your cousin is on his annual vacation. The majority of Italians have to take their summer vacation in August. Shops, factories,offices etc. all close down - this year anywhere from 4th August to 1st September!

So be patient, he may just be getting back from holiday around now....
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I think his brother in Boston does not share your passion for this so that is perhaps why he did not speak to you for too long or he is just short on words. Continue to be patient. Some of my American cousins take weeks if not months to drop a line to me. It doesn't mean anything. Some people are not diligent about writing back. Plus, like elba said, he could be away on a long holiday.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hello everyone, I have not received any information from my cousin as of today September 4, 2007. I will continue to wait. I will inform you all of something that shocked me yeaterday. Speaking to my 82 year old mother about the family and she said to me (now remember I am 53 years old) you know you had a sister. I didn't know what to say. My mother said you wee five years old at the time, she died a short time after she was born, her name was Mary. I could see she was upset because she said today September 3, would have been her birthday. I did ask if there was a record of her birth and she said somewhere there must be something. I didn't want to press her for information, I could see it hurts her still to talk about it. I now think how my life would have been if I had a younger sister. I have one sister that is five years olders that me. My sister is VERy good to me and my family, BIG heart. I don't know how I could get to this age without knowing this information. I feel there is something missing now. How could I get a copy of the birth and death certificates. I want to know as much as possible without upsetting my mother.

Please take care and stay healthy.... :(

Chuck
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Last wrote:How could I get a copy of the birth and death certificates. I want to know as much as possible without upsetting my mother.
Chuck
Chuck,
Check here.

Pennsylvania Vital Records
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Wow! That is unbelievable that you just found out about that. I am not sure what to say. It must have been very painful for your mom not to mention it all of these years. Things were different then. There may not even be a grave to visit. Perhaps your mom was afraid you may stumble upon that information on your own due to your interest in family history. It was good that she told you personally instead of finding it on a microfilm or something. I suppose your ability to obtain info. would vary by state. I am assuming with such a short life, all there would be is a birth and death cert., maybe burial information, if there was a burial.

BTW, I bought Living Language book on Italian grammar at Border's. So far, it seems fantastic. It is beginner to intermediate, so it is more detailed than Italian for Dummies (which I still recommend to get your feet wet). The difference is that Living Language has all the verb tenses. Dummies has only basic tenses.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Wow Chuck..

What a shock after all these years. Let us know if you are able to get the birh certificate or if you need any help.

Oh, and give your mother a big hug. It sounds like she needs one right about now.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

My dear friend, Charles,
It was a pleasure to receive news from you. I'm responding with much enthusiasm. I also saw your very beautiful dog. i hope you understood that as a profession, I cure animals. I'm a veterinarian and can tell your Siberian husky is very beautiful. What are you doing in your life? What work have you chosen? you wrote that your father died in 1995. My father did as well -- that is precisely 8 /3/95. My father was born 12/10/12 at Montefusco where we have always lived and where papa was a farmer. I have a small business but I live in the country with a lot of small and large animals. My son has just returned from the US. I'll send you a couple of pitures of our area nad of my house. I don't remember well if I told you my age - I'm 57. My wife Maria Lucia is 50, my children Antonella, Emilio are 18 and 16 respectively.
Bye, my friend Charles - until later..
PS I'm always looking to find documents and information concerning the genealogy of the Parente family.

Hope this helps. Sirena
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

OOPS......I thought I was at the last page.........didn't realize this was already translated :oops:
Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Dear friends, I received an e-mail from my cousin Gerardo. Please translate what he has said.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Caro e
dolcissimo, Charles ti chiedo scusa se per un periodo non ti ho
scritto
e nè risposto alle tue mail, il motivo è stato solo che sono
stato un
pò in vacanza e non avevo possibilità di avere il PC. con mè,
altro
motivo è stato che avrei voluto avere quante più notizie da
poterti
scrivere riguardo il nostro albero genealogico. allora io ho
avuto modo
di parlere con quelli che avevo come già ti dissi
undividuato parenti a
te più vicino e cioè persone che vivono a milano
e precisamente
l'avvocato Ciriaco Parente ,L'avvocato Carmine
Parente, un commerciante
Filippo Parente tutti residenti a Milano.
loro mi hanno confermato lla
loro lontana parentera e cioè che in
effetti appartengono allo stesso
albero genealogico a te più vicino in
effetti sono tuoi cugini di
quarto generazione.Però hanno pure
dimostrato poco interesse al fatto.
qui ho parlato anche con tutte le
persone dove tu hai spedito la tua
ricerca ma nessuno è veramente
interessato a sapere che esiste un loro
parente in USA.questo a me
personalmente mi ha fatto molto soffrire.
perchè la cosa che tu stai
cercando è una bellissima ricerca e io
finchè posso cercherò con te.
ti scriverò sempre perchè sei una persona
eccezionale,ho cercato anche
il numero dodici di via S. Egidio
purtroppo dopo il trrremoto anni sessante fu distrutta. io cercherò
ancora e ti scrverò sempre appena ho un pò di tempo per adesso ti
abbraccio. apresto sentirci Gerardo
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

This is really rough, so bear with me and someone who can do this ina cleaner fashion, please join in. I am at work so I had to rush before me boss got in ;) I tried to paste English in between the Italian. Just bear with me!

Caro e
dolcissimo, Charles ti chiedo scusa se per un periodo non ti ho
scritto
e nè risposto alle tue mail, il motivo è stato solo che sono
stato un
pò in vacanza e non avevo possibilità di avere il PC. con mè,
altro

Dear sweetest Charles, excuse me for not having written to you for a period or responding to your mail, the reason was only that I was on a vacation and I did not have the possibility of having a PC but the other reason

motivo è stato che avrei voluto avere quante più notizie da
poterti
scrivere riguardo il nostro albero genealogico. allora io ho
avuto modo

is that I had little news that I could write to you regarding our family tree. So I had spoken with those relatives that I told you I located . . .they live in Milan and precisely the lawyer, Ciriaco Parente, the lawyer, Carmine Parente

di parlere con quelli che avevo come già ti dissi
undividuato parenti a
te più vicino e cioè persone che vivono a milano
e precisamente
l'avvocato Ciriaco Parente ,L'avvocato Carmine
Parente,

un commerciante
Filippo Parente tutti residenti a Milano.

The merchant Fillioppo Parente, all reside in Milan

loro mi hanno confermato lla
loro lontana parentera e cioè che in
effetti appartengono allo stesso
albero genealogico a te più vicino in
effetti sono tuoi cugini di
quarto generazione.

Something to the effect that they have confirmed that they are related to you and are part of the same branch of the family tree, close, in fact, they are your cousins of the 4th generation.

Però hanno pure
dimostrato poco interesse al fatto.
qui ho parlato anche con tutte le
persone dove tu hai spedito la tua
ricerca ma nessuno

They demonstrated little interest. I also spoke with all of the people where you had sent your research but no one was truly

è veramente
interessato a sapere che esiste un loro
parente in USA.questo a me
personalmente mi ha fatto molto soffrire.
perchè la cosa che tu stai
cercando è una bellissima ricerca e io

Interested to know that relatives exist in the US. This has personally made me suffer because the thing that you are looking for is a beautiful search and

finchè posso cercherò con te.

I can search with you. I write to you always because you are an exceptional person. I also looked for number 11 via S. Egidio. Unfortunately, the earth quake destroyed it.
ti scriverò sempre perchè sei una persona
eccezionale,ho cercato anche
il numero dodici di via S. Egidio
purtroppo dopo il trrremoto anni sessante fu distrutta. io cercherò

Still I will write to you, I always have a little time for you. For now, I send you a hug. Write soon! Regards,

G

ancora e ti scrverò sempre appena ho un pò di tempo per adesso ti
abbraccio. apresto sentirci Gerardo
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Wow Chuck!!! Finally!!! I have checked every day to see if you had gotten a response or not.

Now I just read the translation, I'm glad you have found more relatives but I'm sad that they aren't interested in knowing about your mom, you, your sister and your families.

Don't let this stop you from searching. As far as I'm concerned the families that don't want to know you are the ones that are missing out.

I'm still going to follow your posts here, it's like being interested in a great TV show and having to wait til next week to find out what happens!!!

All the best

Elizabeth
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I know, Elizabeth, I could not wait either. I get almost as excited hearing from G, as I do with my own cousin!

Chuck, we feel like we know him too. LOL. That's why I rushed to give you an IMPERFECT translation, so we can get a flavor for what he said. I too am sad that some of your other relatives don't care. We break our backs to find them overseas, generations after they left and were forgotten and hope that they will be as happy as we are to be reunited or to at least know that there is someone out there with the same blood. You are lucky that your cousin G is a sensitive man with a good heart and a passion for his family history.

Last
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Last »

Hello my friends

Thank you for the translation Poipuo4. I was soooooooooo excited to receive my cousins's e-mail. Best thing to happen to me today until I read the translation. :( I had so much hope to add branches to my tree when I found my cousin but is seems my tree has been trimed. I am still glad to know that Gerardo is willing to do some research with me though. He does seem like such a nice person. Like me (ha ha)

Thank you all for your kindness and interest in my search. :)

Your friend
Chuck
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Don't be too disappointed. Look on the bright side. You have found one wonderful family member who seems to be a sensitive and caring person. He has been able to make contacts in Italy which give you great insight into your family history and he seems really interested in pursuing your familial relationship. With his help you will be able to trace your family back many generations.

As for the others in Milan, they are probably too young and/or too busy to recognize the importance of family at this time. Explore the wonderful opportunities you have right now. I have a feeling that this will continue to be an exciting journey into the past for you.