Why Duel Nationality?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Why Duel Nationality?

Post by joyse »

I see a lot on various sites of people, especially Americans, wanting Italian citizenship. Is there a reason for this? Maybe I am missing something!!

Joy
mler
Master
Master

Re: Why Duel Nationality?

Post by mler »

I surely can't answer for everyone, but for many, EU citizenship provides residence and employment opportunities that are unavailable to Americans. Even those who do not plan to live or work in Italy may see this as a way to provide this opportunity to their descendents.

For others, it simplifies things in terms of buying property and/or retiring in Italy or other countries in the EU.

And then for others, it is a way to establish a connection between the past and the future, a way of honoring the ancestors who endured many hardships to provide a better life for their children.

I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are applicants.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Em has listed some good reasons.

One note- non-Italians can purchase property in Italy just as Italians can. There is no difference.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I forgot the most important reason--it is now possible to obtain Italian citizenship without losing U.S. citizenship. I would venture to guess that if obtaining Italian citizenship resulted in the loss of U.S. citizenship, the Italian consulates would not be nearly so busy.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Thank you. Thinking on from your comments. As an EU citizen they can then get UK free National Health etc etc!!

Joy