Passenger Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Zengac

Passenger Record Translation

Post by Zengac »

Can anyone help with the name listed here? It is a portion of the passenger record of my g-grandfather. It says he was traveling to see his brother in law, Giuseppe and then I can't make out the last name. Stupid question but, if he was single at the time, wouldn't his brother in law have to be his sister's husband? If so, why wouldn't he have just listed his sister's name? Any help is appreciated... thank you!

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Passenger Record Translation

Post by misbris »

I can't enlarge this image enough to read it. Why don't you post the whole manifest?

Usually a male relative was given as a contact because he had a job, or perhaps the sister was still in Italy.
Zengac

Post by Zengac »

Thanks! Sorry about that.. first time posting with a link. Here is the whole passenger record. His record (Pietro Turrisi) is line item 26. Thanks again!

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The name is Guiseppe Polizzaro or Polizzano - and if you look a few names up youll see Maria Polizzaro or Polizzano and she is going to visit her brother Guiseppe. Lines 23, 24, 25 and 26 traveled together.

Elizabeth
Zengac

Post by Zengac »

That's what I thought too. The address of the Giuseppe that Maria is going to looks the same as my relative's. So let me see if I get this, it's confusing.... Maria is probably the sister of Pietro's sister's husband, right? Thank you so much for your help!!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Giuseppe and Maria are brother and sister.

Since Pietro is single - to be the brother-in-law of Giuseppe - then yes Pietro's sister is married to Giuseppe.

Maria is no relation to Pietro.
Zengac

Post by Zengac »

Thank you!!! That helps alot. I've been staring at that passenger record quite a bit and just really needed another pair of eyes on it. Thanks again!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I'm happy I could help.

Elizabeth