1910 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

1910 Census

Post by BillieDeKid »

Can someone please look up the 1910 census for Hockland NJ? The person I'm looking for is Francesco Nicola Tedeschi and he would be at his brother-in-laws Bruno Coda. If you can find him on the 1920 and 30 census too that would be great. His wife didn't travel with him in 1909 her name is Maria Giuseppina Coda.

I can't find Maria Giuseppina on any manifests so I'm not sure she came to america. And I don't see any record of Francesco returning to Italy.

This is my grandmothers brother. Born about 1884. I just found out an hour ago that he had come to america, we didn't know any of my grandmothers siblings had come to the states.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Elizabeth
daveferro
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 1910 Census

Post by daveferro »

Elizabeth,

Are you certain of the location? There is no Hockland, NJ, town or county. Though there is a Rockland County NY.

Only one Francesco Tedeschi in Patterson, Passaic County NJ in 1910 age 37 with wife Concetta. There is a son, Nicola, daughter Adelina and nephew Pasquale.

This is a list of the search history at HeritageQuest I did
Search Criteria # of Hits

Surname: Tedeschi, Givenname: Francesco, Census Year: 1910, State: New Jersey 1

Surname: Tedeschi 124

Surname: Coda, Givenname: Bruno 2 1900: age 44 Brooklyn
not either of these 1920: age 72 Philadelphia

Surname: Coda 567

Let us know of any refinement of info

Dave
Ferro (from Ferri), Capriotti(TE); De(i)Marzio, Nervina(o), Colucci, Gatto, Testa(CB); Basile(BA) ; Bianchi(AQ); Augello, Bissi, Iacono(AG); Pisano(), Impaglia () Friends looking also: Vivenzio (SA); LoPiccolo(PA)-seems to be Lopicolo originally
Gallo1975
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gallo1975 »

Er..

I found a FRANK/Francesco married to a MARY/Maria in the 1920 census for Berger Street in Essex CO NJ.

States he was 38 years old at the time, born in Italy. This would put his birth year about 1882. Had 3 sons; Joseph (8), Harry (7), and Harold (5). Also says he immigrated about 1907.

I only posted this b/c I know in my family Maria sometimes = Mary. My great grandfather was also a Francesco = Frank. And, some of the birth years are off by 1 or 2 sometimes when you looking at the censuses. For example. I found one of my relatives had different birth years in 3 different censuses, which I found interesting. So either something got lost in translation, or my ancestor really didn't know and was guessing.
Always looking for info on: Gallo, Perillo, Stelatto, Morganelli, Cutarelli, Aniello/Aiello, Langella, Garitta/Aritta, Hayward, Nicolson & will be happy to swap info too!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks guys. I'm posting the manifest pages. Maybe you can make out the name of the town he was going to.

Here's page 1 of the manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005

Here's page 2 of the manifest

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005

Gallo this could be them. I also have their marriage banns. Did you or Dave try and find her manifest? I tried for quite a while last night but didn't have any success. I know for a fact that Francesco and Giuseppina were both from Brognaturo. Many times the town name was mispelled on the manifests and sometimes Catanzaro was used or Calabria. I think if we can find her manifest to see when she came to america it might help. I'll keep looking.

Gallo and Dave - can you post the census records you found so I can take a look?

Thanks for your help.
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I'm posting the marriage bann. It's Maria Giuseppa and I've been calling her Giuseppina, sorry for the error. Francesco's age is 24 and Ma. Giuseppa's age is 23 the year is 1908.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8996/page0166fe3.png

Also, the town should be Brognaturo, it's often mispelled or it could be Simbario (often mispelled as Timbario) or Spadola. They're all within a mile of each other.

Any help finding her manifest would be appreciated.

Thanks
Elizabeth
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

more clues?
a couple of folks from Brognaturo on the same ship,
joining Nicolo Bava at Bx 91, Hockland, NJ
(may be Oakland, Bergen, NJ)
Vincenzo Coda (joining cousin)
Domenico Bava (joining uncle)
1909 manifest
pg 2
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

vj -

That would make sense, I believe that Francesco Tedeschi and Nicola Bava married Coda sisters.
Maybe the town name is Aukland NJ?

I'm going to assume that Gallo's census is correct. So if the youngest boy was 5 in 1920 census, next 7 and Joseph the oldest - age not listed I'll assume he was 9 (2 year difference between each). So that would put Maria Giuseppa Coda coming to the USA before 1911 and after Francesco came in 1909.

Dave, Gallo and vj - Don't give up yet!! If my grandmothers brother Francesco did come here and I have 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins - I'd love to contact them.

Anyone else that can help please jump in.

Thanks so much
Elizabeth
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Some support for Valarie's post.

1903 Manifest for Serafina Bava. Destination Oakland NJ to join husband Nicola Bava?.

1903 Manifest
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Not sure this is the correct listing;

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8192/tedeshijs5.jpg

States Mary born US, mother is also listed in census...Last name Greco. If they were married in the comune, doesn't sound like this could be it.

Were any children born of this couple in Italy? Or did he arrive right after the marriage?

Can you confirm he remained in the US? Looks like your manifest states he was in the US in 1903. Maybe we need to find that one as well........
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi All!

From Wikipedia:

Oakland was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 8, 1902, from portions of Franklin Township.

So I checked manually the 1920 and 1930 census for Franklin-Bergen-New Jersey

1910 United States Federal Census

District 19 Englewood city; Franklin township (part of), and Oakland borough, excluding Midland Park borough, all north of the center of the road from Wortendyke village to Hohokus township-line, via the residences of George Terwilleger and William Folley; Oakland borough should be separately shown on schedules

and
1920 United States Federal Census

District 35 Franklin township, and Oakland borough.; Oakland borough should be shown separately on schedules.

But no records founded of this family.... Really a few italians there....

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Essge!!!
You founded him!!!!
Line 64 Tedeschi Frank!!!!
Do I read well???
Laura
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Pink.......

Well, yes you read very well...but in this case, I was posting the census that Gallo was referring to...and I don't think that these are the correct people. The wife, Mary, was born in the US and her mother's name is Greco. Meaning her maiden name was likely Mary Greco born in the US so I don't think this is the correct family............

Sorry for the confusion.......

Have a great one!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ohhhh... Sorry!!!!!
Scusatemi!!!!
Laura :cry:
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Biff -
I don't think her husbands last name is Bava, looks like it starts with an S. I'll check the files I have on CD to see if I can find Serafina, if not I'll check the microfilms on Wednesday at the LDS research facility. Thanks for the info, I'm sure she's a relative.

Gallo, Essgee, vj, Pink -

Shucks, I thought we might have the census, but you're right, the mother-in-law doesn't fit.

The place that Biff found for Serafina says she's going to Oakland NJ. I'm not sure where he would have gone after that except possibly New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois or Canada. I know he didn't go to Wisconsin with his sister (my grandma).

I don't believe they had children before he left. I posted the marriage bann for 1908 and he left in 1909. My grandfather did the same thing married 08 left 09 but when he left my grandma was pregnant so I suppose Maria Giuseppa could have been pregnant too.

Maybe death indexes or social security for the states I mentioned including New Jersey? I just can't think. So close but yet so far.

Thanks to everyone for helping, I really appreciate it.
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Can anyone look to see if there is a draft registration for Francesco?

I'm sorry but I don't have subscriptions to any sites.

Thanks for helping me out.

Elizabeth