Dual Citizen ship, its confusing me.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
StevenSpringer

Dual Citizen ship, its confusing me.

Post by StevenSpringer »

alright this is the situation I found the naturalization records for Innocenzo DiLenge wife Maria DiLenge, sons Frank,americo,giuseppe,carmelo and daughter annunziata,

My great grandfather was born in italy in 1902 with the name of frank DiLenge (to my knowledge, came to the states in 1906 with his family, became naturalized in 1917. Nat. cert. says his name is Frank Dilenge. He got married in the states in 1926 with the name Edward DeLenge, they had a daughter here in the states. then she had my mom.. when my great grandfather died his death cert. and marriage cert. say Edward DeLenge. am i eligable for dual citizen ship? where do i go from here? i dont know if he had legally changed his name, or what, could i be eligable for dual citizenship?
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dual Citizen ship, its confusing me.

Post by drovedo »

when and what country was your mom born?

Also, have you double checked naturalization info with NARA?

What region of Italy does your family originate from?
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

my mom was born here in the states, and i havnt been to NARA yet hopefully will get there soon... and they originate from Brasilicata, in the town of Grassano
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If your greatgrandfather did indeed naturalize before your grandmother was born, you would not qualify. His naturalization ended the citizenship line.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Steve it might help if you posted the same document that you had posted on the other forum so mler can look at it. I think then it will make it very clear. If I remember correctly it was the naturalization of Innocenzo DiLenge although it listed all the children only 1 or 2 of the children were born in Italy the other's were born in the USA - there wouldn' t be a need for the children born in america to naturalize. I'm thinking the only one that naturalized in 1917 was Innocenzo.

mler hopefully you can look at the document after steve posts it and let him know what you think.

I'm certainly no expert and could be wrong but I think it's worth a look.

Regards,
Elizabeth
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

image posted below
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I believe this is only naturalization for Innocenzo, not everyone else listed on the document. Can someone else take a look please and let Steve know what he's got here?

Steve - can you shrink the image to something smaller, it distorts the screen because it's so large.

Thanks
Elizabeth
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

sorry, will get to that will be posted in 2 min,
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Cannot read the document well...too old in the eyes.

All children born after your great grandfather was naturalized--then they are not eligible for citizenship. Frank's children are not eligible if he became a citizen before they were born. There is a technicality here, however.

Frank was made a citizen as a minor on his father's paperwork. He himself technically never renounced his Italian Citizenship...only his father did. So there is a possibility that Frank never lost his Italian citizenship, even though he was considered to be an American citizen.

You need to contact people who deal with dual citizenship professionally to get this questioned answered as it falls in between. While you cannot claim citizenship through your grandmother, you might be able to claim it from your ggrandfather who was only made a citizen by his father's paperwork. He was not legally able to make the decision himself and this might be something to look at.

Elizabeth asked me to look at it. I know the rules, but sometimes the particulars make a difference so you need an expert. I know people here can offer suggestions for sites to go to. I will see what I can find.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks Essgee for taking a look.

I wasn't sure if this document naturalized only Innocenzo or if it actaully would include the first two children (born in Italy) for naturalization too on this same document.

Elizabeth
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

another thing that confuses me, "Frank"s death cert, says edward. and i believe his ellis island record says Edwardo Bertoli.. think the SSDI would be able to tell me more?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Can you post Frank's Ellis Island Record? Or post the link?
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

BillieDeKid wrote:Can you post Frank's Ellis Island Record? Or post the link?
cant seem to find it, had it once before, but it isnt under Dilenge on ellis island either he was born 1902 and they dont ave 1 for that i think he came over in 1907 with Maria bertoli
StevenSpringer

Post by StevenSpringer »

what record should i pick up to obtain my great grandfathers name? cause on the Naturalization record it says Frank and his burriel says Edward (along with his SSDI and things like that)