Times and Dates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Times and Dates

Post by mahart »

Hi everyone,
Please could someone confirm what the date and times represent on Italian birth registrations.
Is it the time and date of registration of the birth and baptism? or the actual time and date of birth and baptism?

Many thanks Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
Emmy
Master
Master

Re: Times and Dates

Post by Emmy »

Hi Mark
This question has puzzled me too. But I have found looking up the index of the birth acts on the films from the 'Latter day Saints' the date recorded on the index has been one day earlier than the date given at the beginning of the actual birth act and the date of bapitsm has always been one day after the date on the birth act.
So I presumed that if a baby was born e.g. say on the 11th June it would be registered the next day-12th June and baptised 13th June.
:roll: But regarding the 'time' I'm confused unless they could register at any time of day or else I'm reading the time wrong :roll:

I too would like to know the 'correct' answer to your question.

Emmy
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Emmy,
I just had a quick look at LDS indexes and full entries for three births all at the same church but obviously different years and the index, birth registration, and baptism dates are all the same. Now that is efficiency for you, born registered and baptised all in a day

Regards Mark

Mark
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

A child could be registered any time..but it was usually done within a day or two of the birth. Since most children were born at home, and not always born when the comune was open, and two witnesses were needed to accompany the person declaring the birth (usually the father of the child and/or the midwife who delivered the child), it was common that the child was registered the following day.

Baptisms also followed soon afterwards..sometimes the same day, sometimes within a day or so.

As for the time..yes they could register whenever the office was open and the Civil Rights Officer available.

emmy..love the dates you chose for your examples..St. Anthony, right? (and the dates two of my children and niece were baptized on) :D

For more help with understanding the acts, considering purchasing Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford Cole and Discovering your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson. Excellent resources.

Hope this helps a bit.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the recomended authors for Itslisn records Nuccia, I will certainly act on your advice and thanks for clearing this up for me.

Mark

Mark
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by millybobs »

Hi all
Just came across your earlier postings. I bought a copy of "Finding Records of Your Ancestors, Part A, ITALY, 1809 to 1910" - a 17-page booklet from the LDS FHC in Hyde Park, London (£3 sterling). It takes you through an outline of the major documents - Nascita, Matrimoni, Processetti and Morte (and, briefly, church records) with an explanation of the form layout and the overall content. Each has a short section headed "Tips" which I've found useful in interpreting the microfilmed records, which as everyone seems to agree, are not easy to read or understand, especially for non-Italian speakers! Under birth records, one tip given is that "the first date in the birth record (atto di nascita) is the date the birth was registered. For the actual birth date, look further down in the record."
Paul
millybobs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by millybobs »

By the way, I think Part B covers more recent dates but I've not seen a copy of this.
If they don't already have one, I'm sure your local LDS FHC could order you a copy of this if you feel it would be of use.
Paul
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

That's correct Paul. That is how all of the birth acts I have copies of are done.

Elizabeth
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info and yes I will get a copy, I believe, the Anglo-Italian FHS advertise copies, which I'm a member of.

Many thanks Mark

Mark