Travelling from USA back to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Emmy
Master
Master

Travelling from USA back to Italy

Post by Emmy »

Are records available for people returning to Italy after being in USA?
I know this would show up in records if they returned to USA again but would there be a record if they decided to stay in Italy and not go back to USA?
Emmy
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Travelling from USA back to Italy

Post by drovedo »

Good question. Also, add France and Germany to it.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I have asked this same question myself, and as far as I know, there is no record. I wish I could find out this information too.

I did receive some registration documents from my family in Italy that showed my ggf was removed from the town registry because he stayed in the US. Perhaps your relative would still appear on the registry if he returned to Italy and stayed in Italy. I am not sure how to tell you to get your hands on those. It is called a Scheda Individuale.

Also, my ggf's military record showed that he left for the US. Perhaps if you got your relatives' military records, it would indicate that he returned to stay in Italy. (I am trying to reverse engineer, if you will, to figure out a way to verify if your relatives returned to stay in Italy)
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Its my father's cousin's two daughter's I'm trying to trace. I know they did arrive in Detroit the first one with her mother in 1913 and the second followed in 1921 aged 16 says on maniferst to go to 'father'. With help I've traced other members of their family, two had died in California(Orange) But Bernedetta and Elizabeth (Ciccone)havent shown up on any of the US cenus records where it list their parents and the other family member's names
I know that their grandfather (my grandfather's brother) was still alive in 1921 in Italy.

It was just a thought that perhaps they had returned to Italy

So it seems that this is just as much a problem as getting ships records of
Italians coming into UK :cry:
Emmy
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Emmy,

Your problem may be that they both married. If the first came in 1913, the 1st census she could show up on is 1920, 7 years later. The one who came in 1921 would not show up until 1930, 9 years later. Unless there is a state census, or they happen to be living with or near a parent, or you can find some kind of marriage record by bride's name, you may have a tough time tracking them down.

It is much easier to track Italian women, they keep their maiden names.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Just curious
Benedetta was born in Italy, therefore Italian but if she had married an American who had no Italian links in his family would Benedetta then only have used her husband's surname on all records.
Emmy
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

In the US normal custom was for the woman to take her husband's name. It becomes difficult to trace married women because of this. Things are a little different today, but the majority of women still legally change their surname to that of their husband.

In the past, families sometimes took in their in-laws,or younger siblings or lived in the same house or neighborhood so that a census can give some clues.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hey Emmy,

Did you know that Madonna's last name is Ciccone and she is originally from Bay City, Michigan. Maybe you are related!!!!!!
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Misbris
No chance of that happening. The vioce , shape and size definately dont match up in any way! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(joking apart its not the same family line - at least I almost 99 per cent sure)
Emmy
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

You know, Emmy, the same thought has crossed my mind several times. That would be a hoot if you found yourself related.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

:roll: :lol: Dont tell me That I'll need to go and learn the words (and tunes) to some of her songs - just in case!?

But I think this is more ME

Emmy
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Maybe she can use those bagpipes on her next album. 8)
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do you think I should email her that suggestion and ask for commission?
We could share the proceeds :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Emmy