Best Italian/English dictionary?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Best Italian/English dictionary?

Post by peggymckee »

Hi all!

I'm learning Italian and want to buy a good Italian-English dictionary. Right now I'm using a library copy of Cassell's Italian-English and vice versa. (Green cover, yellow & white title). It's about 3 inches thick and seems good.

Any other recommendations? I want something hardcover--it's not for travel but for desk reference.

Many thanks, Peggy M
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Best Italian/English dictionary?

Post by NOLA »

Hi Peggy,

I use Harrap's Concise Italian. It has a lot of new vocabulary.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I like the Oxford dictionary. I have the large paperback one. It has summaries of grammar in the back and what I like is that it supplies not only definitions, but expressions next to the definition, where you would use the word in context. They probably have a larger hard cover one.

However, I used Cassell's when I took Spanish and that was the leading dictionary for Spanish.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

I want something hardcover--it's not for travel but for desk reference.

For serious language study I always recommend the Harper Collins Sansoni Unabridged Italian Dictionary. In terms of weight and content it's a big dictionary -- about 2300 pages. A very comprehensive reference that along each entry you'll find a large list of idiomatic expressions. Amazon sells it for $40.00 ( I paid $60 three yrs. ago) with free shipping which is a bargain considering that the dictionary weighs almost 6lb.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Peggy
I think you have the same dictionary as I use, bought it in 1964 :roll: underneath the green 'cover' hard back cover is a wine shade. When I think what it cost then -not even £2 and what it would cost now 8O
but maybe there have been updated versions printed since then. I must admit I like this one.
Emmy