Help with some phrases in a birth record, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Help with some phrases in a birth record, please

Post by dalbino83 »

I have a birth record scanned here. It's rather large, because I found it hard to read at lower resolution. There are two phrases that I marked in red; can anyone help me with a translation?

One is the phrase after the child's first name. In most cases, I've seen just the name with no phrase on the birth records. The one other time I saw a phrase after the name, it was stating the child was stillborn. But this one went on to get married, so I know it's not saying that. He is a twin, so I'm not sure if what they're saying after his name is alluding to that. His sister has a similar phrase on her birth record after her name.

The second phrase is right above the witness signature. In other records, the statement was something like "these people are signing because the parents are illiterate" and I see that at the very end. But what are the few sentences before that saying?

Here's the link

Thanks so much!
Donna
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help with some phrases in a birth record, please

Post by suanj »

1) it is born a child of male gender that she present me and that is the twin of previous birthact
2) the same informant say me that this child is the second born, and that she denounce the birth having helped by her profession( midwife) the birthchild and "in loco" of the Cefaratti husband, decesead abt 6 months ago..
read the present act... etc....
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thank you, Suanj! Could you tell me what the second part means? What does it mean to "denounce" a birth? What about "in loco" - I thought that meant "instead of." Does that mean there wouldn't have been a midwife present if the husband was still alive?

Thanks for the info about the husband. At least now I know where to look for his death notice. Poor mom, with twin babies and no dad for the babies ...

Donna
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Wait a minute, I just went back to look at this again ... the husband wasn't a Cefaratti, he was a Carlone. The mother was a Cefaratti, so the Cefaratti that died six months earlier ... who was he? The mother's father? Or were the twins sired by someone other than the mother's husband?

Thanks!
Donna
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Donna - The midwife states that she is attesting to this birth in the place of the husband of Cefaratti who had died six months earlier. It wasn't a Cefaratti who died six months earlier, but the husband of Cefaratti. Most often the husband or other family member attested to the birth, but sometimes the midwife or occasionally a doctor did the honors.
John Armellino
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I think Suanj meant announce not denounce. The midwife would have attended the birth whether or not the husband was alive. "In loco" means "in place of." She recorded the birth instead of the dead husband.
It does say in 3 lines above the first red mark that she is the widow (vedova) of Carlo Carlone.
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thanks so much, all of you! I really appreciate your help.

Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

The word in the document is written "denunciata" which means denounced.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

An archaic meaning of denounce is to proclaim or declare, which meaning seems appropriate in this case.
John Armellino
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks John, my bad. I should have followed through with the actual meaning (how it pertained to the document content) after clarifying denunciata as denounced.

Your help is always appreciated.

Elizabeth
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Donna - I've been doing some research as this topic progressed and, ironically, I just found a Cefaratti whose daughter moved to Campobasso from Campodipietra. Aurora Germano, born in Campodipietra to Michelangelo Germano and Anna Maria Cefaratti, wife of Giuseppe di Marco, died 01 JUN 1903 in Campobasso at the age of 92.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the denounced word as announced in the italian birthacts meaning always declare...I made a litteral translation... I thought that it was obvious... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thanks, John! I don't have a connection to your Cefaratti yet in my family tree, but I figure it's just a matter of time before you and I discover a link! I now have 185 people and 69 families linked into my tree.

Donna
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thanks, John! I don't have a connection to your Cefaratti yet in my family tree, but I figure it's just a matter of time before you and I discover a link! I now have 185 people and 69 families linked into my tree.

Donna