Fedeli, Pacella, Serroni, Paci from Ascoli Piceno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
markrobinson

Fedeli, Pacella, Serroni, Paci from Ascoli Piceno

Post by markrobinson »

Good Afternoon everyone,
I was hoping someone out there could help me with these surnames in Porto San Giorgio and Porto Sant'Elpidio in Ascoli Piceno. I know that my family is from this region however I do not belive I have any more living relatives there and all of my Grand Parents are gone. I have exhausted my mother's and Uncle information that they knew and would like to find out more information.

My grandmother is Giovannina Pacella who was born in Canada but returned to Italy in the 1920's. Her parents are Giacomo Domenico Fedeli born Apr 25 1881, died Dec 21 1956 and Giorgina Serroni born abt 1894.

The rest of the information is quite slim. I know that Giacomo had a borther possibly named Vittorio Fedeli and that their fathers name was most likely Giuseppe Fedeli.

My Grandfather is Fernando Pacells who was born in that area on Jan 6 1908 and died in Canada. They emigrated from italy in 1948 where my mother was born 21 days after they arrived in Halifax and moved to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. His parents are Vito Antonio Pacella born abt 1864 and Assunta Paci born 1871 died 1938.

If there is any information here that people think they could expand on or help me out it would be so very helpful. I have found all of the information on my fathers english family but I am very proud of my italian background and me and my mother would love to get more information.

Thanks!
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Fedeli, Pacella, Serroni, Paci from Ascoli Piceno

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Mark,
I checked the four surnames that you mention in the Apulia region only and this is what I've come up with. I've included a link at the bottom so you can check the other regions for your surnames.

The "Fedeli" surname occours in 3 out of 258 towns.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the left hand column is displayed the estimated number of individuals having the given surname.

The numbers are shown with a two-decimal precision, meaning that a number of 106.10 estimates there are at least 106 people in the town with that name, while the number 75.78 means there are likely 76 people in the town with that name.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.72 Bari Bari
3.02 San Giovanni Rotondo Foggia
2.85 Taranto Taranto

The "Paci" surname occours in 2 out of 258 towns.
5.72 Bari Bari
2.80 Martina Franca Taranto

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Do you know if Giacomo Domenico Fedeli, Giorgina Serroni, Vittorio Fedeli, Giuseppe Fedeli, Vito Antonio Pacella and Assunta Paci ever traveled to the US or Canada and maybe back to Italy? If so, can you give an approximate year of when the trips would have been?

Regards,
Elizabeth
markrobinson

Post by markrobinson »

Hi Elizabeth, I appreciate the help.

I know that Giacomo Fedeli came over in 1905 and went to Canada. He then went back and came back with his wife Girgina Serroni and they also went to Canada where they had 3 girls one in Campbellford Ontario (Giovannina) one in Peterborough Ontario (Anita) and I am not sure where Giuseppina was born. THey then moved to the Lke Worth area of Florida to start a dairy farm probably around the mid 1920's. I can find the passenger manifests of their trips and border crossing on ancestry.com. In Florida they had two more boys Joe and Vincenzo. After this the whole family went back to Italy. I do not know when they left. After that when my nonna Giovannina was married to Fernando Pacell they came back to Canada in 1948. For some reason I do not think they were in Florida long enough to be a part of a census but I will check the 1930 US federal census for that. I guess where I am stuck is in finding any more information further back in my family for example my great great grandparents and more.

Also I am not really familiar with how the country is broken up. Ie municipalties and such. WHat is the municipality or provice of the two towns porto san giorgio and sant'Elpidio a mare?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Mark,

The above post of names, I used the region of Apulia only as an example for you to follow for using that link.

Here is one of the maps that I've found helpful for my searches. It gives you each region in Italy and it's color coded. Helpful as a quick reference when people are talking about the different regions and provinces.

http://www.italiantourism.com/regions.html

The other site I like to use, and has more detail -

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/

With this one you select your region, then your province and then your town. It gives you information on the town and it's activities, phone listings (you can look for your surnames), maps etc.

Your families region is Marche, the province is Ascoli Piceno and the town is Porto Sant'Elpidio.

Easy way to equate Country, region, province, town for Italy and Country, state, county, town for US. That's just how I do it (makes it easier for me to relate and keep things straight - my uncle always told me I think like an Americani).

The next thing you probably would want to do is to search for your family members with the LDS microfilms. It gives you births acts, death certificates, marriage banns etc. Here is the link to use, get your film numbers, find an LDS research center near you, order your films and start your search

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

One other thing you may want to do is to use the italian white pages for your region (Marche) and send letters anyone you find and see if they are related. I got you started with the white page listings for Fedeli's in the Marche region. I hope this link works

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... e&ind=&nc=

If you decide you want to write letters - post on the forum and someone with alot more experience than I should be able to help you with that.

Hope this helpful.

Elizabeth
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm sure you seen these, but it seems Giacomo made a few trips.

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
about Giacomo Fedeli
Name: Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: 16 Oct 1915
Birth Date: abt 1881
Birthplace: Portosont Elpidio
Birth Country: Italy
Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)

Port of Arrival: Niagara Falls, New York, USA
Accompanied by: Wife Giorgina; Daughter Giovannina
Departure Contact: Brother-in-law Alfred Marchione
Record has photo?: No

about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: 12 Oct 1921
Birthplace: Portosonto
Race/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)

Departure Contact: Wife Georgina
Record has photo?: No

about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: Oct 1915

(On his way to Florida with his wife)

about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: Oct 1921

The images are available. If you haven't seen them, I can link them when I get back from work today.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Looks like Giacomo actually arrived in 1900..It was a single 19 year old going to New York.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: 17 Aug 1900
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Port of Departure: Mepina
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Trojan Prince
Search Ship Database: Search the Trojan Prince in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 12
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_144
Page Number: 81

Second trip..

about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: 26 Apr 1905
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: Cretic
Search Ship Database: View the Cretic in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 17
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_565
Page Number: 128

Still single, 24 years old and going to Toronto..York Street although it says he had never been in the US before. Perhaps the Giacomo above is a relative born the same year?

Another trip...

about Giacomo Fedeli
Arrival Date: 8 Feb 1914
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Port of Departure: Havre
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: La Provence
Search Ship Database: View the La Provence in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Nativity: Italy
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_2259
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: s elpidio
Page Number: 181

Lists father as Giuseppe Fedeli..meeting his friend. It fair haired with blue eyes and claims to have been in the US between 1903-1913.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
markrobinson

Post by markrobinson »

thanks for your help...I guess that confirms that my great great grandfathers name was giuseppe. I am very curious as to why so many italians coming into new york that were going on to canada were going to 57 York St. Does anyone know what is or was there? Would that have been the canadian consulate?

Also does anyone know if their are border crossing records coming in to Canada from the early 1900's?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

That was Nuccia's first post - border crossings
markrobinson

Post by markrobinson »

i was wondering if there are canadian records instead of only the american crossing information from US to Canada.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

There are Canadian Census but the last one is for 1911.

The next Canadian Census won't be available for a few years. I will try and have a look though...just in case, ok?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Dear Mark

Not sure this is a lead for you..may be a straw dog. In your orginal post you state, "My Grandfather is Fernando Pacells who was born in that area (Ascoli Piceno )on Jan 6 1908 and died in Canada. They emigrated from italy in 1948 where my mother was born 21 days after they arrived in Halifax and moved to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. His parents are Vito Antonio Pacella born abt 1864 and Assunta Paci born 1871 died 1938.

I may have a connection to Paci....from the 1911 census and my own research. There is a Cesare Paci (1888-1856) born in Rosciano, Pesaro (OK not Ascoli Piceno...but a stone's throw away and perhaps Assunta was from close by?) Cesare lived in Copper Cliff, Ontario (about a 3 hour drive east of the Sault) Cesare was quite a businessman in Copper Cliff and lived quite a successful life, he was well repected in the community. He immigrated in 1904 and subsequently married Anna Roscini of Lucrezia, Italy, he had 5 daughters.....Do you know where Asunta Paci is from? Perhaps this is a relative for you? I can tell you more...but did not want to bore you with details if they don't make sense for you.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

....sorry Mark forgot this bit, Cesare Paci's mother's name was Assunta too and his father's name was Fortunato.
danielangeletti

Post by danielangeletti »

hi im daniel angeletti and i send to you thi e mail beacause i do a little reserch in internet and i find your blog.my granmother name giovannina pacella and was born in prto san giorgio (she is died 6 years ago ) and the giovanninas brothers are vitantonio pacella and bruno pacellabut bruno is ded last year. my mother name is ivana luzi and i think wich you have a girl in your family wich name FLORENCE...beacause my sister name is florence beacause my mother remember a little child wich around 1950 55 went in canada.i have also a photo (datated 1956) with a woman near a bus in campbellford and her name is veneranda.
if my information is right send me an e mail for me is a big pleaser
p.s. sorry for my english but i m italian italian and i know only school english

daniel angeletti
pacemaker

Post by pacemaker »

An old thread but I just read it. Daniel, funny you should mention Paci and Luzi from Ascoli Piceno together. My grandfather was Filippo Paci b 1895 and his wife was Rosa Luzi b ~1900, both from Ascoli Piceno and came to Philadelphia. They married in Phila in 1917, I don't know much about Filippo but Rosa's parents were Emedio Luzi (?Luzzi) and Palmarosa Guerrierri. But I have no knowledge of any Canadian connection. Joe Pace
Michelle6281

Post by Michelle6281 »

Ciao! I think we may be related and I may have some information to share with you. My great grandmother is Elisa Paci Leoni. Born in Ascoli Piceno. I am on ancestry.com and I did the DNA testing. It proved positive that I am related to a family group of Paci's that live around Brownsville, PA. Please email me to trade information at michelleleoni@yahoo.com.