Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2

Post by dalbino83 »

I've been stacking up a few genealogical puzzles ... thanks so much for helping with my first. Now here's the second one.

Here's the link

My great great grandfather Albino Vincenzo fu Nicola was a witness in this 1906 record, so it caught my eye. I haven't found a connection between this Albino family and ours, but I'm wondering if there is one since Vincenzo is serving as a witness. I marked two points in red that I don't understand.

1. Is this the midwife listed in the section where the father's name usually goes? I can figure out most of the line after Pilla Gaetana di Giuseppe's name, that she's wife of Albino Michele, and he's a farmer with a residence in Campodipietra, so why isn't he listed on the father line?

2. What does this paragraph say? Does it state anything about why Vincenzo is a witness? Perhaps mentioning how he is related to Michele?

Thanks so much!
Donna
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with phrases in a birth record, part 2

Post by wishyou »

1. As I undestand your question, yes it's the midwife Di Iorio Giuseppina listed in that section. Truly is not the section of the father name but the section of the person who came to the office and show the children to the officer. Often it's the father, rarely the mother, not so rarely the midwife

2. It just explain why the midwife made the denounce and not the father. She made the denounce because she was present at the birth and because the father was far away from the town
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thank you very much! I wish I could figure out how Vincenzo is connected to Michele, but I guess this is not the document that is going to unravel that mystery for me. But I appreciate learning more about how births are recorded.

Thanks again,
Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Donna,

I saw some of your oher posts. Did you find all of your great grandfathers siblings? If so, maybe Michele belongs to one of them making him your great grandfathers nephew. How old would your great grandfather have been in 1906 when he witnessed this document? If he's in his 20's or 30's in 1906 then maybe Michele is his brother.

The other possibility is that Nicola Albino had brothers and Michele is a son or grandson to one of them.

I think you'll have to dig in the films to find out.

Good luck
Elizabeth
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Hi Billie --

Vincenzo indeed had three siblings named Michele; none of them lived past babyhood. I haven't been able to find any siblings for his father Nicola yet, because he was born in 1835 and the records around that year have severe ink bleeding and they are hard to read. I keep wrestling with it when I have time, but it sure is frustrating!

I think I'll try following Michele's wife Gaetana; if I can find her marriage record, then I can figure out if I recognize Michele's father.

Thanks!
Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Great idea. I found in both my grandfather and grandmothers records that they each had siblings that died and the next child born was given the same name as the deceased baby. So you may want to look at birth records again to see if it might have happened in your family too.

I was told that it was very common practice.

And yes, find Michele and Gaetana's wedding banns. You may get lucky with his fathers name. Let us know what you find.

Good luck

Elizabeth
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Oh yes, it definitely happened with Vincenzo's siblings; three boy children named Michele born within a few years of each other, and all dying within a few years. Very sad. The subsequent children in the family are all girls, so there was never a Michele that reached adulthood in that generation.

Off to the FHC tonight to look at wedding records; hopefully I'll get lucky!

Donna
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Alas, I'm still lost ... I found Michele's marriage to Gaetana, and he is not fu Nicola, he is fu Gaetano. And I have no connection yet with Gaetano.

Darn, darn, darn. Must keep looking.

Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Do you have Vincenzo's death certificate from the LDS films?

If you do, and if you still have the films, then start looking through the death's for anyone with the last name Albino and see what the fathers name was and what that fathers fathers name was.

Or start looking through all the nati's and look at the fathers names and the fathers fathers name. (Was that confusing enough for you? Sure was for me!!!) - WOW

Don't give up.

Elizabeth
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

No, Vincenzo would have died after 1910 (when my films end).

I have found his parents and grandparents, so I know the names I need in the birth/marriage/death records. I just haven't been able to find any siblings to his father or grandfather yet. I'm still looking! I'm slowly photocopying the indices for each year on the tapes so that I can do more searching at home. Two hours at the FHC is not enough!

Donna
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Donna,

I've told a few other people on the site that you can't go by the indexes. Many times you will find records not included on the index and sometimes names on the index and no record.

I go through each record on the film one at a time.

At least one of the people I told went back and looked at the films again, sure enough records on the film not listed in the index.

Elizabeth