Orciani Family from Fano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nyranger

Orciani Family from Fano

Post by nyranger »

I am trying to find information about my grandfather and any remaining family in Fano. My grandfather's name was Angelo Orciani, he was born 15 May 1876 in Fano and was married 24 Feb 1911 in Fano. I would like to find out how to obtain his birth record and marriage information. I am hoping this would give me the names of his parents and my grandmother's family. They both passed away long before I was born. Thank you.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Orciani Family from Fano

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Here is the manifest of an Angelo Orciani going to New London. If this is your grandfather, he must have returned to Italy to marry. Do you know your grandmother's first and maiden name? What are the names of their children? I know you are looking for Italian records, but manifests and naturalization records often have a lot of useful information.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 2394060281

Possible 1920 census for Angelo

http://persi.heritagequestonline.com/hq ... 1&offset=1
nyranger

Post by nyranger »

Yes, he did return to Italy to marry. I have all of the manifests and immigration papers from this country but none of them show any family information for Angelo such as parents or possible siblings. I can find no information before his initial entrance to Ellis Island. My grandmothers name was Mary (Maria) Montani. They settled on eastern Long Island and had 4 children, Columbia, Albert, Joseph and Frank. When my father was very young, the marriage broke up. My grandmother and the children moved to another state. My father didn't like it there and moved back to live with his father. Besides Columbia, my father never saw his family again. Columbia died in 1963 in Calif, I never met her, I found her death certificate online. Albert, my father died in 2004 and never talked about his family. Joseph died in 1990 in Calif, I never met him, I also found his death certificate online. Any information about Frank is unknown.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi NYRanger,

There are several Fano's listed that have films you can order from the LDS church to view and copy the records you're looking for - do you happen to know which one would be correct?

Fano
Italy, L'Aquila, Fano
Italy, Pesaro e Urbino, Fano

Fano Adriano
Italy, Teramo, Fano Adriano

Isola di Fano
Italy, Pesaro e Urbino, Isola di Fano

Ville di Fano
Italy, L'Aquila, Ville di Fano

Mary Jo - do you know which one would be correct?

Regards,
Elizabeth
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi NY Ranger

From the post below, I believe the film you are looking for is in Pesaro Urbino if it is indeed the town and not the island you are looking for in the Pesaro Urbino province in le Marche. (I say this becuase if it's the others listed below you would usually include saying Teramo or L'Aquila when you say the name and you didn't). Unfortunately, there are no films for the town of Fano to see from the LDS. BUT I am searching in Fano as well and here is some useful advice I got to maybe find what you need.

The civil records for Fano are in the civil records office of Fano Town Hall and also in Pesaro and Urbino Archives of State-Fano district

http://www.cultura.provincia.pu.it/index.php?id=455
http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... ?nome=FANO

Start with the records in the town first as they are likely the best source. the provincial archives are not the best there and are not indexed for an easy search.

Fano has been a particularily difficult search for me as well so chin up, the other advice I can give you is to write to the churches/parishes in the town, they may yield something, but don't expect a quick answer.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hello Again

Alos noticed that you were intersted in finding out about family still living there. Here is a link to the Orciani's that live in Fano now...can't say they are all realted to you (there is quite a few) but sometimes the best information comes from simply writing to people who may possibly be realted to you...I got quite a bit of info that way in Fano. Here's the link

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&ind=&nc=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hey Ranger,

Can you post Maria's manifest or post the info and I'll link it? I couldn't find it or Angelo's 2nd trip. There should be some little clue on one of them. Where did Mary move to when she left LI? Orciani is a fairly rare name, so we should be able to track down your Uncle Frank's info.

Check out these Orciani who are still in Fano.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&ind=&nc=
nyranger

Post by nyranger »

Thanks for all your replies.

It is indeed the town of Fano on the Adriatic coast. I have tried contacting several Orcianis still in the area but have not received any relpies yet.

I have not been able to find a manifest for Mary. The information I have came from my grandfather's Declaration of Intention. They married in Feb 1911, he returned to the US that July and she joined him in Dec. The information I have for her is: Maria Montani, born 19 Sept 1891 in Corinato, Italy; married 24 Feb 1911; arrived Ellis Island 14 Dec 1911.

After they left LI they stayed in Beaver Falls, PA for awhile. I found them on the 1930 census. When I received Joseph's 1990 death certificate from Calif. it said his information was provided by his sister. Amazingly, this woman still lived at the address provided on the certificate. She was my father's half-sister he never knew about. Unfortunately, she was not in the best of health and I was only able to find out that she was my aunt, that my grandmother had died in the 50's, that she had no photos of my grandmother, she had no idea where Frank was, and that my grandmother's last name was Montani.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi there

Just a question....are sure the town Maria was from is Corinato? If so where is it located....I was wondering if it was Corinaldo? Becuase it is in close proximity to Fano...which kind of makes sense that he would marry someone that lives in close proximity to him.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I was unable to find the town of Corinato but did find a town called Corinaldo located about 20 miles from Fano. Although there are no surnames spelled Montani, the surname Mantoni is common there.

Here's a December 1911 manifest for a Maria Mantoni joining husband Angelo Orciani in LI. Note two page manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0622%2ETIF

edited to add--Last residence Fano, birthplace Corinaldo
Nearest relative in Italy, mother Matilde Paolini?
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Also if it is indeed Corinaldo, here is the link to their town hall. At least you may be able to get Maria's info and work from there

http://www.corinaldo.it
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Maria Mantoni Detainee List, line 14

Based on the number of meals served, it appears Maria was detained for three days.

Biff
nyranger

Post by nyranger »

Corinaldo is very possible. Corinato is what was written on my grandfather's papers but we all know how spelling goes on those papers.

That manifest must be a very recent addition on the Ellis Island site. I was never able to find it there before. The only place I could find that one or Angelo's 1911 voyage was at http://stevemorse.org in his Missing Manifests.

Thank you all so much! I have received more help here in less than 12 hours then I have in 7 years on Ancesrty.com and Genealogy.com.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Biff83.....how did you find the detainee list?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

For reference line 14
Angelo Orciani 1911 manifest, page 1
Page 2

Last residence and place of birth Fano
Nearest relative in Italy, father Giovanni

Biff