Tersigni Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tersigni25

Tersigni Surname

Post by Tersigni25 »

Hello I am new to this site and I know Tersigni is a very popular surname in Sora, Italy. My great grandfather was Pasquale Tersigni, wife Librata Tersigni, came to NY then moved his family to Canton OH.

The mystery is he changed the last name of all his family to Terrigan. Tersigni was a lost name until I was able to do some research. I was able to find pictures and all the information needed of our families past.

My next goal is to find any surviving relatives of Pasquale Tersigni maybe he had brothers and sisters who stayed in Sora?

I figured this site might help?!!

If anyone has any recommendations of how I would appreciate it.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Tersigni Surname

Post by misbris »

Have you found his Ellis Island manifest? That might contain some clues.
Do you know how old he was when he immigrated or the year?

Do you have any census records?

Since Tersigni is such a common name in Sora, the more info you have will help you narrow down his family.
Tersigni25

Post by Tersigni25 »

Thanks for the reply....I do have that information I will have to pull it. I have his age and year he came over to America. Thanks again for the help.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

If you post the manifest or give us the info, someone here will post it. Then we can help you to sort the information. Many posters here have alll kinds of resources and databases that can help you.
MeaAnne

Post by MeaAnne »

Dear Tersigni25,
I came across this site typing in Tersigni, Sora, Italy on google. My Grandfather Domenic Tersigni's brother was Pasquale. He went by the name Patsy. I'm from Canton and asked my Dad. He didn't remember them changing their last name. Do you live in Canton?...Do you have any more information on Pasquale? I'll try to help you as much as I can.
Maria Tersigni
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

Hi Tersigni25

I have Tersigni in my family tree, I have a Margarita Tersigni, who married Domenico Lomabardozzi, not sure of the dates, she was born abt 1780, their son Guiseppe was born 1811 in Sora. A bit nearer in time, my great grandfathers sister, Rosaria Tuzi, married a Domenico Tersigni, in Sora, they were both born abt 1855. Maybe a connection somewhere!lol.
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.
Tersigni25

Post by Tersigni25 »

Thanks for all your replies..MeaAnne thanks for reply, My great grandfather was indeed Pasquale, he was 28 when he came to America in 1912. He first came to Canton NY then moved his family to Canton OH. He married Librata Pellegrino.

When all of his children wore born he changed all their last names to Terrigan.

my grandfather has 2 birth certifcates. one as a Tersigni and one as a Terrigan.
It is a family mystery to why the name was changed.

PM me and we can discuss this more!..very exciting
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Many Italians changed their surnames to make themselves more acceptable to English America. Italians were seen by many as uneducated labourers and at the bottom of the social scale. How do you tell people how Tersigni is spelled especially when you are illiterate yourself.
By the way, Pasquale's wife's name is actually spelled Liberata. You can see some beautiful photos of Sora at Corpus Domini on my website.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Tersigni25

Post by Tersigni25 »

Italysearcher wrote:Many Italians changed their surnames to make themselves more acceptable to English America. Italians were seen by many as uneducated labourers and at the bottom of the social scale. How do you tell people how Tersigni is spelled especially when you are illiterate yourself.
By the way, Pasquale's wife's name is actually spelled Liberata. You can see some beautiful photos of Sora at Corpus Domini on my website.

Thank you for the correct spelling of her name. That is something we never had...I appreciate it.
Italian Pride!
chrisrn

Post by chrisrn »

I know this thread is a few years old, but my father's family also came from Sora and have the surname Tersigni.
My grandfather was born in Sora 25Dec1896 to Ignazio Tersigni and Maria Santa DeGasperis. They had other children as well: Giuseppe, Domenico, and Luciano (all emigrated to Guelph, Ontario). Antonio (stayed in Italy and married Vincenza LaPosta) and also Angelarosa (emigrated to Detroit area and became Anonni), Filomena, and Erminia. Hope this info helps someone!
Tersigni & DeGasperis: Sora,Frosinone,Lazio
Olivastri: Treglio,Chieti,Abruzzo
DiMarzo & DeSocio: Bonefro,Campobasso,Molise
MeaAnne

Post by MeaAnne »

I forgot that I was on this site...and this regards my post from awhile back. Chrisrn...My Grandfather Domenico Tersigni was born around that time too and he married my Grandmother Pasqualina DeGasperis. They had three children. Tina, Pauline and my Dad Rome. Tina died in Sora. The name for my Aunt on records is Balmina which they may have translated @ Ellis Island as Paulina. Just thought it was interesting that The Tersigni men liked the DeGasperis women!! lol My Grandmothers side..DeGasperis' moved to Ontario..Toronto Canada.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Next time you are in SOra, head to the Library and the Historical Archives. There are registers from 1861 that will tell you all you want to know about the Tersigni's and the De Gasperis.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
chrisrn

Post by chrisrn »

MeaAnne wrote:I forgot that I was on this site...and this regards my post from awhile back. Chrisrn...My Grandfather Domenico Tersigni was born around that time too and he married my Grandmother Pasqualina DeGasperis. They had three children. Tina, Pauline and my Dad Rome. Tina died in Sora. The name for my Aunt on records is Balmina which they may have translated @ Ellis Island as Paulina. Just thought it was interesting that The Tersigni men liked the DeGasperis women!! lol My Grandmothers side..DeGasperis' moved to Ontario..Toronto Canada.
That is funny! In my research, I have uncovered two Tersigni's married to DeGasperis women. I guess both names are common in Sora.
chrisrn

Post by chrisrn »

Italysearcher wrote:Next time you are in SOra, head to the Library and the Historical Archives. There are registers from 1861 that will tell you all you want to know about the Tersigni's and the De Gasperis.
Thanks for the tip, I will do that. I'm planning on bringing my father to Sora next spring (2013) and would like to do a little research while we're there. The last time we went, we visited a cemetery and it was full of Tersigni's. I found my great-grandparents and great-great grandparents, as well as various grand uncles and aunts.
StefaniaTersigni

Post by StefaniaTersigni »

I know these posts are many years old now, however I come from a Tersigni family in Sora, fairly large family to be honest. We did track some family that at one point or another entered into the states (I'll have to look at our papers to determine the first name). My family's home area is just out of Sora its nickname is called "Le Case Quindale", also known as Il Passonistro. If this rings a bell with anyone let me know reach out!