Death certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
palex

Death certificate

Post by palex »

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to locate my great-grandfather´s death certificate with no luck. It is likely he died in Massachusetts, though without the exact date of death the process of dealing with the MA department of vital statistics has been a nightmare. He was alive in 1930 and deceased by 1970. Here is a bit more info in case anyone has any idea of how I might go about finding his date of death and/or death certificate:

Name: Guiseppe Amendolare
DOB: Oct. 6, 1870
Place of birth: Palo del Colle, Italy

Thanks so much!
cpnj

Re: Death certificate

Post by cpnj »

palex

Post by palex »

Thanks for doing the search... I´ve actually beaten ancestry.com to death. Any other ideas for finding his date/location of death? Thanks again.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Can you post a little more info? Where did he come from in Italy? When did he immigrate? Names of children? Where did he live besides MA? Maybe that will help us search.
palex

Post by palex »

Sure, I´d be happy to.

Information from NARA documents:
Arrived in US (New York) : Feb. 12, 1902
Arrived from Naples
Born, raised, and married in Palo del Colle, Bari, Italy

Thanks again for any assiatance!
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

Any idea what church if any he may have attended in Boston? I had very good luck wrting to my grandmothers church. They gave me her date of death and the day she was baptised. I am sure there is a library that must house Boston city directories for that time period as well.
Proud to be an Italian American
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

palex wrote:Sure, I´d be happy to.

Information from NARA documents:
Arrived in US (New York) : Feb. 12, 1902
Arrived from Naples
Born, raised, and married in Palo del Colle, Bari, Italy
Children: Thomas, Laura, Mary, Pauline, Lena, Lulu (all born in NY), Onofrio, Catherine, Sara (all born in Boston).

Information from marriage certificate:
Wife´s maiden name: Rosa Poliseno
Date of marraige Feb. 3, 1902

It appears he lived in NY for about 13 years and moved to Boston around 1915.

Thanks again for any assiatance!
Have you considered the possibility that he returned to Italy in his later years and died there?

The Italian telephone directory has only a few listings for his surname in the comune of Bari - see this web page. You may want to send a letter of introduction to each of the listings; there is a good chance that someone is a relative or knows of a relative who may be able to provide information about his place and time of death.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

Do you know where his wife was buried? You may be able to reverse engineer this. I did this with my ggf. I located his wife's grave (for some reason she was easier to find than he was). Then I paid for the cemetery to send me his internment card with date and place of death and that lead me to the death certificate. This worked because husband and wife were buried in the same cemetery.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia