GIOVANNI ANTONIO & FILOMENA REDA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

GIOVANNI ANTONIO & FILOMENA REDA

Post by Ritamay »

My maternal grandparents Giovanni (John) Antonio & Filomena REDA (nee REDA) came to the US in approx. 1902-1903 settling in Brooklyn, NY, re-settling in Tacoma, WA after 1910. They had the following children: George, Jennie Marie, Frank, Albert & Esther (my mother). Info. that I have on lineage is as follows:

GIOVANNI ANTONIO REDA, b1876 in Domanico/Cosenza/Calabria; d1951 in Tacoma, WA
FR: Gaetano REDA, b1835; M-Maria Antonia GRECO, b1849 - both were born in Domanico.
Paternal GP's: Giuseppe REDA/Giuseppina GRECO
Maternal GP's: Gaetano GRECO/Rosaria BUFFONE

John's siblings were??? He had at least one brother whom married a sister of Filomena's - they lived in Brooklyn; some of their children were George, Jennie & I think Frank.

FILOMENA REDA, b1883 in Carolei/Cosenza/Calabria; d1962 in Tacoma, WA
FR: Antonio Maria REDA, b1826; M-Innocenza Greco GUARASCIO, b1836 - both born in Carolei.
Paternal GP's: Francesco REDA/Maria Carmela RAGUSA
Maternal GP's: Vincenzo GUARASCIO/Nicolina DECICCO

Filomena's siblings were: Rosa, Vincenzo, Teresa(1), Teresa(2), Giuseppe*, Natale Antonio, Francesco, Maria Carmela & Raffaelina - all born in Carolei (*Piane Crati)

I posted this message hoping that someone might have info. regarding John's siblings. But mostly, I'd like to connect with "cousins" from the Brooklyn line (especially cousin George's descendants - he & his wife Sally came for visits when I was a child & I loved them dearly!) and, perhaps, any relatives presently living in Calabria.

Thank you.

Rita
vj
Master
Master

Re: GIOVANNI ANTONIO & FILOMENA REDA

Post by vj »

Hi Rita and welcome to the forum :D !
There are quite a few Reda families from Domanico!
No doubt we can help you find some connections to
your family.

grandfather Giovanni Reda
Some possible records that you may already have:

1930 census
Note: a Louis Reda family living nearby
page 2
Home in 1930:
1422 South Cushman Ave, owns $2,500
Tacoma, Pierce, Washington
John Reda 52
- married age 25 (abt 1901-2)
- immig 1893 Na
- patcher, cement work
Filomena Reda 45
- married age 18
- immig 1903
Frank Reda 18 NY
Albert Reda 12 WA
Esther Reda 9 WA

1920 census
Home in 1920:
1422 South Cushman Ave, owns
Tacoma Ward 3, Pierce, Washington
John Reda 41
- immig 1895, naturalized 1900
- laborer, street
Philomena Reda 34
- immig 1912?
George J Reda 14 NY
Jennie M Reda 12 NY
Frank Reda 7 NY
Albert Reda 2 8/12 WA
Boarders:
Frank Perrone 23
Silvio Doro 24
James Scarpitta 42

1918 WWII Draft Registration Card
Giovanni Reda 41
1422 Cushman Ave
Tacoma, Pierce Washington
Born 29 Jan 1877
Naturalized
Laborer for city, Tacoma
Wife Filomena at the same address

1910 census
Home in 1910:
1525? Gates Ave, rents
Brooklyn Ward 28, Kings, New York
John Reda 34
- married 8 yrs (abt 1902)
- immig 1892, Na
- fruit, store, working on own account
Philamena Reda 27
- 3 children born, 3 children living
- immig 1903
Gatson? Reda 6 NY
Regenta Reda 3 NY
Frank Reda 6/12 NY
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

"John's siblings were???
He had at least one brother whom married a sister of Filomena's
- they lived in Brooklyn;
some of their children were George, Jennie & I think Frank."

Some possible relatives, if this is the correct
Giovanni Reda…

1900 census
Home in 1900:
1520 Gates Ave
Brooklyn Ward 28, Kings, New York

Head Joseph Rada 26 (Mar 1874)
- married 0 yrs
- immig 1893
Wife Carmelia Rada 23 (Jun 1876)
- immig 1893
Brother John Rada 23 (Feb 1877)
- immig 1893, Na
Brother Louis Rada 14 (May 1886)
- immig 1898
Brother Migal Rada 10 (Apr? 1890)
- immig 1899
Cousin Joseph Rada 29 (July 1870)
- immig 1893
Cousin John Rada 18 (Oct 1881)
- immig 1895
Cousin Joseph Rada 27 (Aug 1872)
- immig 1895
Cousin John Rada 27 (May 1873)
- immig 1897

Note: another Reda family on the
previous census page…

1900 census
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Giovanni Reda

possible 1898 Naturalization Card
County Court, Kings NY
Giovanni Reda 21 (abt 1877)
Nat 26 Feb 1898
Vol 288, pg 3
Address: 348 Hamburg
Arrival 15 Dec 1892 NY
Witness: Emilio Tesone
1522 Gates Ave
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Giovanni Reda and Filomena (lined off)
1902 manifest
SS Trave 11 Nov 1902 Naples to NY
Line 1
Giovanni Roeta 26
- married
- last residence Domanico
- destination NY, NY
- in US 1893-1901 in NY
- stamped 'CT Disch on Pier' (indicates US Citizen)
Filomena 19 (did not sail)

Filomena Reda
1903 manifest
detained page
Name: Filomena Reda
Arrival Date: 16 May 1903
Estimated birth year: abt 1883 Age: 20
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Belgravia Search
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 19
Microfilm Serial: 15T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_356
Page Number: 65
- married
- destination Brooklyn, NY
- joining husband Giovanni Reda at 1560 Myrtle Street
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Possible brother: Luigi Reda
(probably same Louis as on 1900 census above,
may be the Louis on the 1930 census in Washington)

1898 manifest
SS Kaiser Wilhelm II 9 Mar 1898 Naples to NY
Line 3
Luigi Reda 13 (abt 1884-5)
- single
- destination New York City
- joining brother Giuseppe Reda at 1560 Myrtle Ave in Brooklyn
Note: this is the same address as Filomena’s 1903 manifest above

(line 2 is a cousin joining Giuseppe Reda also)
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ritamay »

Thank you so much for the information VJ! I apologize for not responding as promtly to your post as you to mine, but I wanted some time to peruse the data you sent.

In regards to the census info, indeed 1422 So Cushman was the family residence in Tacoma, WA. The house was located in a primarily Italian neighborhood having St. Rita's Catholic Church central in their lives (even on the same block! St. Rita's is still as an active parish with many parishoners still connected through their Italian roots) In fact, I too, lived at this house until I was two years of age. We moved into our new home in 1961; Filomena moved with us. Anyway, the 1920 census was apparently taken before my mother Esther was born. Some of the data varies on the different census takes -- i.e. Filomena spelled with a "Ph" (my mom said that she liked to spell things in an "American" fashion, so perhaps she used a different spelling intentionally, or perhaps the census taker spelled her name that way. Also, I noticed that John's naturalization dates vary. Re: the 1910 census, John was a fruit store vendor/general market vendor. I have been told that he truly loved this venture & his neighbors. However, he was "requested" to pay protection money in order to continue in business -- this scared Filomena; her sister Teresa & brother Natale invited them to Tacoma -- henceforth, they left Brooklyn and settled in Tacoma.

I presume that the other Reda's (Frank, Regenta, Luigi, etc.) were probably relations. I have some other avenues to search that, perhaps, will confirm this. As I mentioned in my original post, one of Filomena's sisters & a brother of Johns were married, but "Regenta" is not one of Filomena's sisters -- Frank, perhaps, was her brother. But since, John was already settled in the US first, then -- well, hmm...

Again, thank you for your assistance! I will keep searching the boards for information & the stories that others have to tell. I am also hoping to find some people who may share other surnames (Gurascio, Ragusa, etc) in their lineage. (An irony is that I carry an Irish surname! but I'm half-Italian)

Take care

Rita May

p.s. -- And your Italian roots are...?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Rita May!
Thank you so much for the update and background
on your family. It's wonderful that you know the reasons
why your family moved from one coast to the other!
We hope the addition of just a few more names to your
post will help others researching the same surnames
to make a connection to your family.
Please let us know if any of the new folks turn up in your
research.
Thank you again!
Valarie

ps: my Italian roots are in the Cosenza area thru my
mother. My mother's family also lived on both Hamburg
and Gates Aves before moving to NJ.
(1898 at 348 Hamburg, 1901 at 1313 Gates,
1899 & 1902 at 1252 Gates)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Rita May, in case you haven’t used this resource
for New York City records. I’ve obtained both
original naturalization and marriage records for
my family from New York after finding their
information in the database.
(not too expensive and usually within a month)
Valarie

Terrific resources for NYC records:
Dr Stephen Morse one-step NYC
under: Births, Deaths, and other Vital Records

NYC.gov
vital record order forms
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ritamay »

Hello my new friend! And again, thanks for the informaiton. I will contact the NY source.

I intend to research Brooklyn (Little Italy) for general hisotry (my dad, who passed away, was a historian -- I could have used his help) just to become familiar with what life was like in the community.

I hope your family found NJ welcoming. As I menitoned in my first post reply, the church was a gathering place for families in the "K" street area, as well as the Sons/Daughters of Italy. If you query "Esther Reda" on the net "South Sound Photo album - September 2nd" will display -- go into the file -- the picutre is the Daughter's of Italy (also known as Virtis? Lodge) drill team on their way to attend the San Francisco Worlds Fair (picture 1939) -- the article rather implies that they "were" going to attend -- yet, they did! In fact, my mom joined the drill team so she could go on the trip -- she is center (without a hat -- she played the piano - Some others in photo were relations or good friends - Caroline Turco was her 1st cousin, yet 25 yrs her senior! [her mother was Teresa, Filomenas sister], Lena Reda, friend, Rose Pellegrini, etc. - My mom was 19 yrs of age at the time of photo.

Anyway, I need to turn up the heat -- it's snowing outside! My cat is amusing to watch -- although an inside kitty, he is perplexed at the new landscape gathering outside.

Take care & I look forward to "talking" again.

Rita May

(Rita May - named for St. Rita of Cascia & Blessed Mother)

Aside: Sometimes, I think everyone from Calabria must be related!
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Ritamay,
I have Adelina (Lena) and Frank Reda in my family but they are from Rende in Cosenza and immigrated to Chicago via Pennsylvania. Moderator Nuccia is from Malito which is very close to your town.
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ritamay »

Hello Cathy -- I was not aware of the many towns in Cosenza. Frank Reda apparently is a very popular "Reda" name. When I grew up, I was often asked if "Big" Frank or "Little" Frank was my uncle -- Well, my uncle was not very tall in stature, but he apparently was big Frank and one of my mother's 1st cousins was little Frank (he was a short man).

My grandmother, Filomena, was the youngest child in her family (and as mentioned in orginal post, carried the REDA surname). Perhaps, some of her siblings lived in areas other than Carolei; John's, perhaps, other than Domanico (or their parents siblings) -- Also, I do not know where John's siblings settled in the U.S. -- still trying to find out that information. So, your Lena & Frank could be in either Filomena's or John's line -- at least cousins of one or both.

Thank you for your reply.

Rita May

P.S. As an afterthought -- My mother once traveled to Chicago when she was about 20 - 21 yrs of age (1940/41) -- She said she had been corresponding with a cousin & was invited to visit with this cousins family. So, maybe there is a connection with your Chicago Reda's.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

There are many, many Reda's in this country and in the Chicago area. It could be a coincidence. There were Reda's in Montalto Uffugo also but they all originally came from Rende. As did at least 1 Reda in Paola. Francesco was a popular name because of the patron saint of the province and Calabria - St. Francesco of Paola. Back then he was a huge force in the area and we had a lot of stories that involved him. Many of the towns in the area (including Montalto Uffugo) have or had a church dedicated to him.
Ritamay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ritamay »

There is a significant statue of St. Frances of Paola in St. Rita's Church. St. Rita is also a very popular saint of the region. St. Rita's in Tacoma, Toronto, Canada & at least another in the States (I can't remember the location) were nearly identical churches, i.e. the design -- founded by the Jesuits. And there are quite a few others, although not with the same design. The other saint that my mother & her family were devoted to was St. Lucy (patron saint of eyes) -- the story goes that when Filomena was sailing to America she developed an eye infection; she was told that she would be detained & sent back to Italy or instead allowed into Canada; she prayed to St. Lucy - & well, her infection went away! She then had a picture of St. Lucy painted in Italy & sent to her -- my parents had the picture hanging in their bedroom. For some reason, of all of my parents things, I inherited that picture! It rather gave/gives me the "creeps" because her eyes are displayed on a plate -- I have since given the picture to a priest friend of mine.

Perhaps I share too much family information & or regional history in this forum -- it's just nice to have an opportunity to share memories & the stories.

Take care.

Rita May
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I intend to research Brooklyn (Little Italy) for general history

Hey Rita May :D ,
Some interesting internet sites for Brooklyn:
Brooklyn Genealogy
Brooklyn newspaper: Daily Eagle