Anthropology vs Genealogy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Anthropology vs Genealogy

Post by lilbees »

I have a question which may seem silly. The characteristics of my Rescigno family is somewhat different than the area where they are supposed to be from (the men that is). i.e. light brown hair, grey to green eyes, fair skin. It just doesn't seem to fit the Compania region as opposed to maybe the northern area of Italy. We do have some (very few) men and women who in fact had black hair and brown eyes but usually not. My great grandmother was from Sicily I believe. Her description is of black hair and dark brown eyes.

Anyone have any ideas and should I be looking in a different area for ancestors in addition to those from around Roccapiemonte. I just have a feeling that the origin is different.

Thanks for any opinion or suggestion.

regards
lilbees
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Anthropology vs Genealogy

Post by misbris »

I posted something a while back on the same topic. My father's family is made up of blue-eyed fair skinned blondes and redheads. Family is from the Salerno area. I just had a conversation with a 90 year old relative of my father who described my ggma as tall, blonde and blue eyed.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =7374.html
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks for your comments. Italy must be more of a melting pot than I believed. Definitely forgot about the crusaders from the north.

You can have a laugh on me. :lol:

lilbees
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

My ggparents manifest also lists them as being fair w/ blue eyes - also from the Campania region. I was always told about the "northern invaders" as an explanation for our fair traits. I just accepted it but you're right, it'd be nice to know where they originated from. But judging by the limited dates that the Italian records go back (at least mine anyway), many of us will never know.
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I am by no means versed on this, but this can by where DNA and genealogy studies can shed some light on deep ancestry. I think also that there are many inaccurate stereotypes that all Southern Italians are dark haired, dark eyes, olive skin. I am 100% of southern Italian heritage and none of my grandparents and great grandparents that I have pictures of fit that bill. We even have blue eyes and freckles in our past.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Just saw this today and wanted to share it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934464/wi ... ?GT1=10914
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

lilbees wrote:Italy must be more of a melting pot than I believed. Definitely forgot about the crusaders from the north.
You also gotta remember that the southern italian gene pool is heavily influenced by greek, ottoman, and even some north african. This is especially true in Sicily.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Romans lighter skinned? I always thought there was a parallel with italy and spain where both countries got significantly darker during occupations and what not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilians#People
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Great article on the subject of "Blue Eyes". We have discussed this many times in our family.

Misbris, Thank you for posting it. I forwarded the link to other family membes who have been discussing this subject.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa