Not sure where to go next

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joshuaross

Not sure where to go next

Post by joshuaross »

I am searching for the surnames Berardinelli and Falcone. Here is what I have so far. Guglielmo Berardinelli (son of Crociffisso Chella and Domenico Berardinelli) came to the US in 1906. His wife Adelaide Falcone (daughter of Elizabetta Crise and Daniele Falcone) arrived in 1907. I have been unable to find any link to records in Italy for Guglielmo or Adelaide. Guelielmo was born in 1882 in Poggio Imperiale and Adelaide was born in 1882 in Sulmona. I know they both emigrated from Tione degli Abruzzi. I also know that Guglielmo's brothers (Severenio and Alfredo) lived in Brazil. I know that Adelaide's brother Alfonso was still living in L'Aquila in the '40's. I am unsure of where, who and how to write for more info in Italy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Josh
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Not sure where to go next

Post by jenalonso »

When you say you have been unable to find any records in Italy, what methods did you use exactly? Can you provide more detail?
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
joshuaross

Post by joshuaross »

I have a document from 1938 that indicates Guglielmo's birth date, place and parents names (I believe it was used as verification when he offically changed his name). Other than that, I have not attempt to find documentation. I have not done so because I am unsure as to what is the best method.

Thank you.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Guglielmo's 1906 manifest.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

Adelaide"s manifest p1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

Place of birth is on the manifests. The Family History Center has the records for all of these comunes.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

There are some comune (comuni?) that have websites and you can get an email address off of them to write them that much faster. But I have had a hard time getting them to respond to emails anyway.

The only method I have really had any substantial success is the old fashioned way: sending a letter by "snail mail" to the Stato Civile office of each comune of my ancestors. You just have to include all the info (always in Italian) that you have (usually need a name, place and date of birth) and they should respond within about 30 days. If not, you can send a follow up letter mentioning your first attempt, and stating that you have not heard a response. There is apparently Italian law that states they must respond within a certain time.

If you need help finding the address to write to for your comune, let us know. If I can't, I'm sure someone on here will get you the address (some people on here are truly amazing and know almost everything!!).

Sorry I can't be of more help at this very moment, but I must get to bed.
Searching for Nostrame, Mangiacapre, Cherubino, DiPascuale, Franco, Porto, D'Addona, DiLibero.
joshuaross

Post by joshuaross »

I am unsure how to find the correct comune and how to correctly ask for information. Any help would be appreciated!

Josh
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Here is the official website for the comune Poggio Imperiale (you can normally tell which website is official because 1) it usually has the official crest of that comune and 2) it will have gov't info, including contact info)

http://62.110.208.43/poggioimperiale/hh ... ca87&jvs=1

On the front of this webpage, right in the middle - is their email address. Most comune are fairly small so if it does not go to the right person, they will direct it to the right person. If you write them & they don't respond (say in about a month or two), go back to this page & look for the street address & send a letter by mail (or you can save the waiting time & just send it by mail). Some people suggest sending a few euros along with the letter. I've never actually done this so I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

As for translation, you can get your letter (in English) drafted into Italian using an online translation program. Despite a lot of negative opinions about online translators, I think some of them are halfway decent. I personally use www.freetranslation.com BUT you really should either know a little Italian to check it over yourself (buy a dictionary) or have someone who speaks Italian check it over before it goes out. Sometimes these online translations will not do the best job. There is also a website (I have it saved on my home computer) dedicated to helping people in your situation obtain info from Italy and actually translates a form letter automatically for you. I will try to remember to get it for you when I go home & send it to you.

Good luck & let us know if you have any other questions!

Jennifer
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jenalonso »

Josh,

How funny - I didn't even see it - the mailing address for the comune di Poggio Imperiale is right in the top left corner...:)

Also, here is the website (I believe official) for Sulmona:

http://www.comune.sulmona.aq.it/web/index.html

Click on "contatti" & you'll see the email address.

Take care!

Jen