Impiazza surname in Lecce?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vespajames

Impiazza surname in Lecce?

Post by vespajames »

Further to my post on the emigration page, re the possibility of the Impiazza name dying out in Italy after my Greatgrandfather Domenico Impiazza (born 1876) emigrated to London in1898.

I have now found a reference on a mormon website to the birth of a daughter Lucia in 8th October 1801 to Rocco Impiazza and Rosaria De Benedetto in Cerfignano, Lecce.

There are no further references online to the Lecce Impiazza's. Can anyone advise of any Italian databases I can check online, or addresses I can write to in order to hopefully link Rocco's family to Domenico in 1876?

Are there also any De Benedetto family members in or around Cerfignano / Lecce who have traced their family tree back to 1801?

Thanks
James
AngeS

Re: Impiazza surname in Lecce?

Post by AngeS »

Hi Vespa James
My Greatgrandfather was also Domenico Impiazza! Domenico, also know as Lummey - He emigrated to London in 1898, married Eugenie Cain, she died after they had 5 children, one of which was Nichel, my Grandfather. Domenico remarried, after Eugenie's death to Rosina Mansi in 1932. He was an Ice Cream Maker who had a stall in Exmouth Market (Clerkenwell, London).
Do we have a connection?
Angela
Wonderella

Post by Wonderella »

Hi!

I realise this is a couple of years late but my Grandmother's maiden name was Impiazzi (her name was Ellen Amelia). Her father was Michael (Michele in the 1901 census) - the first born son of Domenico Impiazza and Eugenie. Therefore, Domenico is my great-great grandfather! I've been trying to discover more about my grandmother's side (she died in 2006) and why the Impiazza name changed to Impiazzi. I think I've discovered that Eugenie died in 1930 (?) but there are names of their children I couldn't find on 1911 census (one of those was Nichel!; the other was Raffaela).

Unfortunately, after my nan's death we've lost most of our contact with the Impiazzi family. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ellie
AngeS

Post by AngeS »

Hi Ellie

Well I think I can help you here - if you let me have your contact details I can send you what I have of this part of OUR family!

My email address is angela.stanbrook@wirefast.com - I've managed to get back to 1800 and it appears this side of the family was originally from Amalfi.

I look forward to hearing from you

Ange
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

to answer your question about anyone having traced(conducted) the De Benedetto surname in Cerfignano, Lecce Italy back to 1801, may I suggest tyou goi to google.comand put that question in the title thusly DE BENEDETTO SURNAME CERFIGNANO/LECCE ITALY GENEALOGY 1801

This may provide you with persons who conducted or are conducting similar research. Lots of Luck. =Peter=
~Peter~