Ciaccio from Belcastro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rciaccio

Ciaccio from Belcastro

Post by rciaccio »

I am new to this forum and would like to put it out there if anyone has any information regarding the Ciaccio family from Belcastro. I have been able to trace my great uncle "Alfonso Ciaccio" who immigrated to the US in 1906 from Belcastro and used the name "Saverio Ciaccio" for his father's name on the immigration manifest which I got off of the Ellis Island website. Saverio would be my great grandfather and I would like to hopefully obtain his birth certificate as I am trying to aquire citizenship in Italy, as well as trace my family roots.
Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ray Ciaccio
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Ciaccio from Belcastro

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The Family History Center site has the records for Belcastro in the province of Catanzaro.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

+You can obtain a copy of the birth record (preferably estratto di nascita=long form) by wiriting to the Uffico di Stato Civile, comune di Belcastro,88050, (CZ), Calabria, Italy using form letter from www.mangeruca.com in Italian and submit self addressed envelope with $10.00 in cash or postal coupon as you wish since the service is free but the request is an end of day matter for poorly paid clerks. wait 6-8 weeks. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I found sending money to Italy is no longer a good idea as very often the money is taken and the research not done. My advice is to enclose a stamp and envelope only and a copy of your id. I have been using this method for over a year now to various offices in Calabria and have had 100% success rate.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I have had a reverse experience with money being returned to me but I guess it is hit or miss. The clerks are poorly paid and doing their research is an end of day duty as they are obliged to take care of all walk-ins first while written requests await their turn. The Mormon church suggests a $5.00 donation but now that the US dollar is worth much less (75centsEuro) , I feel the donation should be $10. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Yes, I've heard of money being returned as well but a few years ago. Lately though I've heard the opposite so I can see where you're coming from. I also found IRC were a problem these days.

Oh well..I guess we have given the options and so its up to the poster now to decide, right?

Thanks for the site as well. Hadn't seen that one before.

BTW..Welcome back! I look forward to learning a lot from you, Peter! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thank you so very much. I was hoping for a wave. We both will learn. Warmly =Peter=
rciaccio

Post by rciaccio »

Thank you for the info! I appreciate everyone who responded. I will write the comune of Belcastro using your information and hope for the best.
Thanks again

Ray
futo_ngbo

Post by futo_ngbo »

here is a great site that will assist anyone with creating a letter in Italian that can be sent to any Ufficio dello Stato Civile to obtain birth certificates:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... tional.asp

additionally I found this resource to be very helpful as well:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=i_qgMMO ... q=&f=false