Family Names Cartolano, DiChiera and Simonetta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
calabrese

Family Names Cartolano, DiChiera and Simonetta

Post by calabrese »

Anyone out there familiar with these names? Rocella Ionica is the home town in Calabria may also be a Genova connections.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

When you say know do you mean know the family or something else? Peter
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

I don't know if the following names are derivatives of the ones you mention or not but there are lots of people with the following names in Birmingham, AL. They may be relatives somehow.

The versions in Alabama are DiChiara and Simonetti. I bought a book recently called "Italians in the Deep South" written by Frank Joseph Fede and he mentions these surnames throughout the book. I ordered this book through Amazon on line. I found it in a local library and found it so useful that I ordered a copy. It was $39.95.

I grew up in Bessemer, AL, and people with these last names attended my church at St Aloysius.

I know you were looking for information for Italy but I thought I'd offer up this info in case it might help you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Family Names Cartolano, DiChiera and Simonetta

Post by suanj »

calabrese wrote:Anyone out there familiar with these names? Rocella Ionica is the home town in Calabria may also be a Genova connections.
Hi, Di Chiera surname is exact spelling and tipical of Roccella Ionica. This surname in origin was Di Chiara(really many diffused in all Italy), but it has become Di Chiera especially only in Reggio Calabria province, Roccella Ionica-Caulonia area(probable for handwriting misspelling). Simonetta or Simonetti also are present in Roccella, ditto Cartolano present in Roccella Ionica..
on ellis island are this Cartolano from Roccella Ionica:
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 4545040152
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2943050006
for details please read ship's manifest..which info you demand?
regards, suanj