A few Surnames I can't find meanings for

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
lovedr78

A few Surnames I can't find meanings for

Post by lovedr78 »

Have a couple of last names I can't seem to find out what they mean, any help would be great.

Cutrara :

LoSarano:

LaRosa:

Thanks
Matt :P
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: A few Surnames I can't find meanings for

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
this is what I found

LA ROSA
LAROSA La Rosa è tipico siciliano e della zona calabrese dello stretto di Messina, Larosa molto più raro, ha un ceppo nel reggino ed uno nel barese, derivano entrambi dal nome personale latino Rosa.

It is a typical surname from Sicily and Calabria (near Messina), Larosa is more rare, there is a root in the area or Reggio Calabria, and onre root in the area of Bari, they both come from the name of person, Rosa (Rose)

bye Riccardo
irakli

Post by irakli »

hello!i'm from georgia in europe and i would like to know where comes from the pipia's surename and what it means?thank's for help!
Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Julo »

lovedr78 wrote:Have a couple of last names I can't seem to find out what they mean, any help would be great.

Cutrara :

LoSarano:

LaRosa:

Thanks
Matt :P
Cutrara o Cotrara means young girl in dialect in parts of central Calabria.
La Rosa = The rose
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Interesting, any ideas on the surname Maucieri? I have found mention of other names similar to mean "left handed" mancini, or from Mauratia for Maurizzo etc. But nothing specific for Maucieri? Anyone have ideas?
Melina
Chi sa dove, chi sa quando ma con tempo trovera.
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Interesting, any ideas on the surname Maucieri? I have found mention of other names similar to mean "left handed" mancini, or from Mauratia for Maurizzo etc. But nothing specific for Maucieri? Anyone have ideas?
Melina
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TonyDiNobile »

Rather than start a seperate thread I will just add to this one....I am interested in the meaning of the surname Di Nobile.....Your help would be Appreciated....Thank You !....
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

I pretty sure Di Nobile means 'of noble'

When I was a kid my dad smoked di Nobile cigars. We'd tell him not to let the name fool him. They were short stubby things and really strong stuff.

I still remember the advertising jingle.........Di Nobile, Di Nobile, the best cigars you can buy, once you smoke Di Nobile no other will you try.

That was more than 60 years ago. Can't believe I still remember that!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname dictionary lists Di Nobile as being a variation of Nobili with Nobilini being an alteration of Nobili where it is frequently spelled this way only in Emilia Rolmagna region. The Nobili, Nobile speaks for itself as pertaining to Nobility as a class, but also by vritues of action,dress and sentiments. =Peter=
littleapple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by littleapple »

Peter, where did you find the surname dictionary? Is it a website or a text?
I would love to look up a few names myself.
(maucieri, dimarzo, ciampanelli, cecere)

Melina
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi there. The title of the dictionary is Dizionario dei cognomi Italiani by Emidio De Felice. The publisher is Mondadori and there websit (if it still works) is www.mondadori.com/libri.

Mauceri is a variation of Maugerisoecuific to Eastern Sicily and concentrated in Catania area and Mauceri reflects a local pronounciation along with Malgeri and Malgieri. There is no meaning. The other 3 surnames are not listed and are considered to be local in origin or imported from abroad. =Peter=
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,

It is "Dei Nobile", or "Dei Nobili" that pertains to belonging to a noble family/house , but without a titolo? Or titoli? N'est ce pas?

Per essempio: " Dona XYZ, "dei Nobile", meaning, "Dei Principe di... " "Dei Conte de ..."
That is the meaning, i.e. from a noble catalogued family, without an inherited title.
I believe that "Di Nobili" or, "Da Nobili "is from a place. Its has probably been misspelled, or is poor Italian....
Aether
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,

It is "Dei Nobile", or "Dei Nobili" that pertains to belonging to a noble Family/House, but without a titolo, or titoli? N'e c'est pas?

Per essempio: " Donna XYZ, dei Nobili", meaning "Dei Principe di..." "Dei Conte di..."
That is the meaning. i.e., from a noble catalogued family, without an inherited title.

I believe that "Di Nobili", or "Da Nobili" means i from a place. It has probably been mispelled, or just poor Italian...

Aether
"Fiori di grano.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am relying on the Dizionario di Cognomi Italiani as a source of reference which does not elaborate on your aspect of surname interpretation. Thank you for the additonal facet for the inquirers informatin . =Peter=
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

Dear PeterTimber,

I relied on the following sources: a) Istituto Araldico Genealogico Italiano; b) Collegio Araldico - Libro D'Oro della Nobilta Italiana, and others.

And for the proper usage of Coat of Arms (including also Comunes, etc.) I depend on the "Presidenza del Consiglio" directly under the authority of the Presidente Italiano! No coat of arms is "legal" unless studied, designed, and approved by said authority.

Aether :wink: So difficult to collaborate!
"Fiori di grano.