Clueless on locating Italian Genealogy Records

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Novice

Clueless on locating Italian Genealogy Records

Post by Novice »

I am trying to locate records for the following individuals.
I have already found the Ellis Island records, but I am trying to track these individuals genealogy in Italy.

Vittoria Toma
B.1892- Pontremoli- Sucissa
D.1925- Durango,Colorado
Arrived to Ellis Island 12/25/1919
Father- Pietre

Giovanni Necchi
B. 4/13/1882
D. 3/27/1962- Durango, Colorado
Arrived to Ellis Island 7/26/1914
Parents- Unknown

Vittoria and Giovanni were married in Sucissa. I do not have a year. I believe a child was born and died in Italy.

Please help?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Clueless on locating Italian Genealogy Records

Post by PeterTimber »

You can go to your nearest Mormon hcurch family history library ( www.familysearch.org under ancestor search) and rent out the civil records for Pontremoli(Succisa is a "frazione" or neighborhood or absorbed area due to town expansion) which cov er all briths,marriage=s and deaths from 1866 to 1910.

Should you wish to request birth,marriage or death certificates directly from Pontremoli then you can write to their Muncipal offices at Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di Pontremoli Postale 54027, (MS), Toscana region, Italy. go to www.mangeruca,com for form letter in italian and include $10.00 for each document requested in cash or postal coupons (US$1=E$75 cents).

=Peter=
Novice

Post by Novice »

Thank you! I just began looking into our family genealogy. It is very interesting. I appreciate your assistance! I will go to the Mormon Library this week. Have a fantastic New Year!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.........and a Happy New Year to you too!!!!!!!!=Peter=
Micki

Post by Micki »

PeterTimber wrote:You can go to your nearest Mormon hcurch family history library (www.familysearch.org under ancestor search) and rent out the civil records for Pontremoli(Succisa is a "frazione" or neighborhood or absorbed area due to town expansion) which cov er all briths,marriage=s and deaths from 1866 to 1910.

Should you wish to request birth,marriage or death certificates directly from Pontremoli then you can write to their Muncipal offices at Uffico di Stato Civile, Comune di Pontremoli Postale 54027, (MS), Toscana region, Italy. go to www.mangeruca,com for form letter in italian and include $10.00 for each document requested in cash or postal coupons (US$1=E$75 cents).

=Peter=

SURE WISH I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING AND HOW TO.... Peter, how do I find same information for family members from Linguaglossa~Catania? Thank you.
Micki
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Micki
You may want to start your own thread! Just click on the icon that says new topic and post your request.

Meanwhile, have you done all your American research first? Start with yourself and work backwards writing down everything you know. Use a pedigree or Family Group Chart to help you keep organized.

Next, search the free sites like www.stevemorse.org or www.famlysearch.com . You will have to register a username and password and you can also download the free software program for your computer if you prefer to enter your info into your PC database instead.

For researching a Italian Records through microfilm a must read is:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... cestor.asp

It will help you understand the records.

Next, to view films for your town, civil records are available from 1820-1929..

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Locate the nearest Family History Center near you using this link:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Go in, order the films you wish to look at first and pay for them (about $5.00). Wait a few weeks and they will call you when they arrive. Make an appointment for a reader and go in a view the films. You will have about three weeks to do this in. Should you decided you need more time, you can renew them up to twice more and then you can keep them in the FHC on was is know as permanent loan.

Hope this helps some. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Should you choose to write to Italy, I would definitely NOT send any money. I found the last few years there has been trouble with this method and International Reply Coupons no longer a reliable choice either as many don't accept or understand how they work.

I have been lucky enough to have friends who send me Italian stamps though and I have on the odd occasion enclosed them with my request to help with the cost of mailing the records but even this is not necessary. A copy of your ID would be a good idea though as I found many comuni request this (some don't). Each comuni is a bit different though.

For records in Linguaglossa~Catania

Comune Ufficio di Stata Civile
TOMMASO FAZELLO S/N (VIA)
95015 LINGUAGLOSSA (CT)
ITALIA
telephone 01139 095 / 643663
fax 01139 095 / 7774305
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Micki

Post by Micki »

Thanks so much for information -- appreciate it!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

No problem! Let us know if you need more help! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database