DiChiara in Cincinnati, OH

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pappafrank

DiChiara in Cincinnati, OH

Post by pappafrank »

Trying to find info on my grandfather's original name in Cincinnati, Matteo DiChiara, circa 1901. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
vj
Master
Master

Re: DiChiara in Cincinnati, OH

Post by vj »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you have any other details that may help
in a US records search?
- other spellings/nicknames
- spouse
- children
- siblings
- other locations

Thanks!
Valarie
pappafrank

Post by pappafrank »

Hi Valarie!

The issue is this: I know his parents and siblings and when THEY came, from ship records. I also have his parent's and some sibling birth records from Termini Imerese, Sicily. Unfortunately, I cannot find Matteo's birth record or his ship record. Also, about 5 years after they arrived, they changed their family name to Degaro, which, I discovered is how DiChiara actually sounds when pronounced by Sicilians!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Have you looked at the Termini Imerese Database site? Theres a lot of great info on that site..maybe someone there can help you?

http://www.termini-imerese.org/DBSearch.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pappafrank

Post by pappafrank »

Definitely! I've been a member for a few years. WONDERFUL site and even better members!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Definitely! I've been a member for a few years. WONDERFUL site and even better members!
I couldn't agree more.

I will ask the obvious then..what haven't you researched yet? Have you requested a copy of the "Family Story" (his parents and all the children). I know its not an easy record to get but if you're lucky enough to get one (and I was fortunate recently) it should list all the childrens names they can find. They do charge for it though if the search is granted anywhere from 2.50-5.00 euros(last I heard) for each member in the housholdand sometimes a genealogy tax (mine was 10 euros).
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
pappafrank

Post by pappafrank »

I'm not familiar with the "Family Story." What can you tell me about this?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well I really didn't use the correct name for it. Its really called Certificato storico di famiglia.

Hang on and I will try and get it explained CORRECTLY...lol
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Yes Nuccia is right.
You send the request (written only in italian) for a CERTIFICATO STORICO DI FAMIGLIA to the municipality office of the town of your ancestors, it is called Ufficio Servizi Demografici (it is made by two branches: Ufficio Anagrafe - Family record office - and Ufficio Stato Civile - Civil record office)
Certificato storico di famiglia is a form where the registrar, after researching the family member informations and records kept in the local Family record office (anagrafe) and in the Civil record office (ufficio di stato civile), he fills it out puting names of parents, date and place of birth, date and place of death, if emigrated when and where.
There is a fee of about € 3 - € 5 euros plus a tax stamp of € 14,62 euros for each certificate.
I alway suggest to call the office before sending the request to know what is the best way to send the request and the money for the research and tax stamps
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo :lol:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Riccardo! I knew I could count on you to explain it correctly! And thanks for helping me get mine! I really appreciate it.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database