Frank Charles (Ciarla) family roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ftcharles

Frank Charles (Ciarla) family roots

Post by ftcharles »

I have noticed the name Frank Charles on this site. This is also my Grandfathers name... however his wifes name was Anna. Any info would be helpful to getting me started in finding my roots in Italy. Ciarla was also believed to be the family surname.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Frank Charles (Ciarla) family roots

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you give any details? What year was your grandfather born, Anna's full name (maiden) and year of birth, year coming to america, Franks parents names, town, province or region he and Anna are from in Italy, brothers and sisters for each and years of birth, children and ages of Franks children and where did Frank settle in america.

The more detail you can give the easier it will be for people to help out.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

There is a Frank M. Charles listed in NY 1930 census, married to an Anna. He is in Cayuga. In 1910, he is listed with father, Joseph Charles and mother Mary.

The name is most likly Ciarlo. And since, in 1910, there is a Michele Tamilia listed, it is likely that Joseph (Giuseppe) and wife, as well as a number of children including Frank (Francesco) all came from Ripabottoni or another comune nearby. Tamilia as well as Ciarlo are names from Ripabottoni.

As Elizabeth states, we need a bit more information in order to get you on the right path. If he was born in Ripabottoni, we can get the records for you.

Let us know.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

There were a lot of Ciarla families in Bonefro as well when I was there.
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:There is a Frank M. Charles listed in NY 1930 census, married to an Anna. He is in Cayuga. In 1910, he is listed with father, Joseph Charles and mother Mary.

The name is most likly Ciarlo. And since, in 1910, there is a Michele Tamilia listed, it is likely that Joseph (Giuseppe) and wife, as well as a number of children including Frank (Francesco) all came from Ripabottoni or another comune nearby. Tamilia as well as Ciarlo are names from Ripabottoni.

As Elizabeth states, we need a bit more information in order to get you on the right path. If he was born in Ripabottoni, we can get the records for you.

Let us know.
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:There is a Frank M. Charles listed in NY 1930 census, married to an Anna. He is in Cayuga. In 1910, he is listed with father, Joseph Charles and mother Mary.

Let us know.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

ftcharles wrote:

Let us know.

Frank........

Once you hit the quote button, you go to the page that it opens and to end of the quoted material....then you can type in your message.

At this point, I am thinkinging that the info I questioned you about is the correct info and that you would like more info. Is this correct? You don't have to quote the question once again...just leave an answer for me. The library opens up today for the first time since before Christmas. Am going there this afternoon so if you want me to check, please let me know.

Have a great day.......
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Additionally.

Go to the search portion of the opening section of the forum. Search for Ciarlo. It will lead you to posts by bsnclr...she is related to you. Her Frank Charles was Rafaele Ciarlo, son of Giuseppe Ciarlo and Marie Tamaila. The lived in Auburn, NY.

If you have trouble finding it, let us know.
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:Additionally.

Go to the search portion of the opening section of the forum. Search for Ciarlo. It will lead you to posts by bsnclr...she is related to you. Her Frank Charles was Rafaele Ciarlo, son of Giuseppe Ciarlo and Marie Tamaila. The lived in Auburn, NY.

If you have trouble finding it, let us know.

Thank you in advance for your help... GREATLY appreciated !
Raffaele Ciarli (Giarlo) was son of DONATO GIARLO and MARIA Guiseppa DePALMA. When the name became FRANK CHARLES is not actually known to me .
My Grandfather was born as Raffaele Ciarli aka FRANK CHARLES (6/8/1899)in Mt Vernon, NY and was Baptised as RAFFAELE CIARLI shortly after(7/2/1899) . I have my GreatGrandfathers Citizenship Papers that clearly state his name as DONATO GIARLO (12/4/1896) .
I am trying to find out beyond that... when he came to america ...from where... and further relatives in the "Tree". The name changing is very confusing to me !!
This other "Frank Charles" I believe to be is a cousin ??
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok...

This makes more sense. Dipalma is also a name from Ripabottoni, like Ciarlo. Did Raffaele Ciarlo (Frank Charles) live in New York his whole life? Who did he marry? What are the names of his children?

When and where did he die? I need to be able to find this family in the census in order to start going backwards.

Let me know...
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:Ok...

This makes more sense. Dipalma is also a name from Ripabottoni, like Ciarlo. Did Raffaele Ciarlo (Frank Charles) live in New York his whole life? Who did he marry? What are the names of his children?

When and where did he die? I need to be able to find this family in the census in order to start going backwards.

Let me know...
Here we go...... my grandfather (Frank Charles) born 6/8/1889 in Mt. Vernon, NY... He then moved to Auburn, NY sometime prior to 8/1/1924 which is the date he married Anna Haliko. To my knowledge he never lived in Cayuga... this I believe to be a cousin also named Frank Charles ! Frank and Anna had children MY DAD- Edward (1926), Beatrice (1927) & Dorothy (1933). Frank's Father was Donato (Ciarli, Ciarla, Ciarle, Ciarlo or Giarlo) Born 1868 (Birthplace not known) Naturalized 12/4/1896 as Donato Giarlo (Westchester County) and died in April 1916 as Donato Ciarle -(a)?- Aka Charles (in AUBURN, NY). He was married to MARY DEPALMA-(Maria Guiseppa DePalma) and had children Frank (my Grandfather), John, Michael, Joseph, John, Antionette, Theresa & Mary.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Well, I was able to find them in the 1920 census:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3118 ... susqq2.jpg

At this point, his father is dead. There is a 1910 census with a Maria Charles, born 1877 in Auburn NY, but her husband is Leonardo. However, her father-in-law is Raffaele and her mother-in-law is Donata. So we are having a bit of trouble tracking them in 1900 and 1910.

The city of Auburn, NY is in the county of Cayuga...so Frank was in Cayuga. It is possible that his parents didn't come from Ripabottoni...but the naturalization papers should help. Anything on there that names the town of origin? Do you have a number of the document and date of it? Other paperwork filled out before citizenship was granted may contain town of origin.

I will go to the library tomorrow and see if I can find Donato or Maria Giuseppa in the Ripabottoni records. Will let you know.

Have a good one......
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:Well, I was able to find them in the 1920 census:

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3118 ... susqq2.jpg

At this point, his father is dead. There is a 1910 census with a Maria Charles, born 1877 in Auburn NY, but her husband is Leonardo. However, her father-in-law is Raffaele and her mother-in-law is Donata. So we are having a bit of trouble tracking them in 1900 and 1910.

The city of Auburn, NY is in the county of Cayuga...so Frank was in Cayuga. It is possible that his parents didn't come from Ripabottoni...but the naturalization papers should help. Anything on there that names the town of origin? Do you have a number of the document and date of it? Other paperwork filled out before citizenship was granted may contain town of origin.

I will go to the library tomorrow and see if I can find Donato or Maria Giuseppa in the Ripabottoni records. Will let you know.

OK so far...so good !
From Cert. of Batism....Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Mt Vernon, NY
Raffaele Ciarli (FRANK CHARLES) Child of Donato and Maria Guiseppa DePalma
Born in Mt. Vernon, NY, June 8th, 1899
Was Baptized July 2nd, 1899
Sponsors being Guiseppe Torio and "Ma" Antonia Ciarli

This info came from a COPY dated 7/21/1942 Baptismal Register @ the Church.

There was a DuerONATa CIARLA Burried in AUBURN ....Born 1858 and Passed in 1918.... She my be confused as DONATO.
There is also a MARY CIARLO Burried in Auburn ....Born 1871 and Passed in 1956.
This info is from St Joseph Catholic Cemetery, Auburn, NY WEBSITE...
CHARLES, CIARLA, CIARLE and CIARLO... some confusion in the spellings may come from reading of the hand writing on records that are available.

FROM A COPY OF FRANK CHARLES' MARRIAGE REGISTER
8/1/1924.... Frank Charles-(24)-Anna Haliko-(22)
PARENTS.... Donato Charles & Mary DiPlama (Spelling may have been a Typo) believe it to be DePalma.

Hope some of this will make sense in figuring this puzzle out !
Keep me informed... and let me know if there is anything else I can find here in Auburn, NY to help !!!

Have a good one......
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok. This is very helpful.

The name in Ripabottoni is Dipalma...in the first records it appears as Palma (di) and eventually is Dipalma. Depalma also exists in Italy, but not in this comune. However, many got changed to the alternative spelling in the states because that was how it sounded....Depalma, or because of knowing others that had the alternative spelling.

Also, the names of those who those who sponsored at the Baptism...no doubt the name would be Giuseppe Iorio...the Iorio name being another Ripabottoni connection.

Will get to the library sometime today and see what is available in the Ripabottoni records.

Back Later.
ftcharles

Post by ftcharles »

Essgee wrote:Ok. This is very helpful.

The name in Ripabottoni is Dipalma...in the first records it appears as Palma (di) and eventually is Dipalma. Depalma also exists in Italy, but not in this comune. However, many got changed to the alternative spelling in the states because that was how it sounded....Depalma, or because of knowing others that had the alternative spelling.

Also, the names of those who those who sponsored at the Baptism...no doubt the name would be Giuseppe Iorio...the Iorio name being another Ripabottoni connection.

Will get to the library sometime today and see what is available in the Ripabottoni records.

Back Later.
Good job...

What I guess I am looking for from this point is the "Blood Line" of DONATO. When He came to the USA, with whom, which ship, from where, His parents, grand parents, great grand parents, brothers, sisters, dates of events etc ! Any living relatives in Italy (Ripabottoni) ?

So glad to have made this connection with you...
Thanks.... again

Francis Timothy CHARLES...

Just call me "TIM"... named after Frank but always called Tim. Before my father passed, he said he found out my Grandfather Frank (his Dad) was born Raffaele.....soooo I should have been named Raffaele or Ralph instead of Francis or Frank !!

Am I asking for too much or is all this possible ???