census question - augusto di marco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gish

census question - augusto di marco

Post by gish »

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for any descendents of my great uncle, Augusto/Agostino/Giustino Di Marco, son of Giacomo (James), originally from Abruzzo in Italy. He left for the United States in approximately in 1906 when he was around 17-20 years old. He wrote back home once, and then he dissapeared into thin air, and my family never heard from him again. My grandfather never met him, but named my father in his memory. We would really like to know what happened to him.

Unfortunately, my searches so far have not been very fruitful. I cannot find anything on him for the Ellis Island records, even though my dad does seem to think that he would've gone to NY (but isn't sure). I have tried Di Narco, dimarco, dinarco, demarco, de marco amongst other combinations but still nothing. :(

There is a record for a Giustino Dimarco in the social security death index born around 1891, but i dont have much to go on to tell if that is in fact him.

And to my census question - I cant find anyone under his name in the 1910, 1920 census (though I don't have a subscription). Does this necessarily mean that he died before the census? Or changed his name?

If someone could help me or offer any advice I would be much appreciated! It seems I've hit a brick wall!

Lina
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: census question - augusto di marco

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Lina and welcome to the forum.

You say your great uncle came from Abruzzo? Do you know what province or the town name within the Abruzzo region. Here is a list of the provinces, maybe something will look familiar........

Chieti
L'Aquila
Pescara
Teramo

Maybe you can ask your father or grandfater if they remember anything other than Abruzzo.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Lina,

Is this the Social Security record you referenced?

Social Security Death Index
Name: Giustino Dimarco
SSN: 108-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 12303 Schenectady, Schenectady, New York, United States of America
Born: 9 Dec 1891
Died: Jan 1977
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

I found this 1913 manifest, line 1. The age is 27 and looks like he had made a trip before, so this could be a possibility, age would be right. I'm having a hard time reading where he was from and looks like he's going to NY and maybe says to his brother or brother -in-law Nicola ? but I can't read the rest. Maybe some other people on the forum can take a look and see if you can read it.
Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001
Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Lina: where he was born?
suanj
PS: the first name was Agostino( Augusto diminutive)??? Giustino is very different from Agostino...
here:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Agostino Dimarco
Name: Agostino Dimarco
City: Not Stated
County: Westmoreland
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 8 Mar 1895
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1926980
DraftBoard: 4

born in CHIETI.....

also:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Giustino Dimarcio
Name: Giustino Dimarcio
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 25 Dec 1889
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1907642
DraftBoard: 22

born in Tollo (Chieti province)
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's a 1930 census for Giustino DeMarco in Schnectady
Giustino Demarco 39, immigration year 1920, naturalized
Eda Demarco 33
Alexander Demarco 7
Louis Demarco 5
Dina Demarco 9
Liezia Demarco 6

Not sure if this is the person Lina is looking for. Eldest son's name does not follow traditional naming conventions.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Another possible manifest (1909) going to Montreal Canada, age about right.

Line 30
Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030
Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

gish

Post by gish »

Thank you everyone!
BillieDeKid wrote:Hi Lina and welcome to the forum.

You say your great uncle came from Abruzzo? Do you know what province or the town name within the Abruzzo region.

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your replies. I am pretty sure that the region is Teramo, as this is where my dad was from. He also thinks that this would be correct.

BillieDeKid wrote:I found this 1913 manifest, line 1. The age is 27 and looks like he had made a trip before, so this could be a possibility, age would be right.

This is interesting, I didn't come across this before. As far as I know he didn't have any relatives in the US, and was going alone.

My dad doesn't remember the name of his grandmother, but said he will find out for me.
BillieDeKid wrote:Another possible manifest (1909) going to Montreal Canada, age about right.

Ah ha! I didn't find this one in my search. He is listed as agostina, but the sex and occupation columns suggest Male and Labourer. I will have to try and decipher what it says in that last column because this could be a definite possibility. I'm not sure if the last column says Torino though...does anyone else have any other suggestions?

suanj wrote:Lina: where he was born?
PS: the first name was Agostino( Augusto diminutive)??? Giustino is very different from Agostino...

Hi suanj, thanks for your reply and research. I'm pretty sure he was born in Teramo, and I think Agostino (Augusto) is much more likely than Giustino, but I am considering any other option of a name which is similar. My dad isn't even sure which of Agostino or Augusto is his own name, and says his mum used to call him something similiar sounding to "Agiustino". I think my dad's birth certificate says Augusto tho.

Biff83 wrote:Lina, Is this the Social Security record you referenced?

Hi Biff, this is correct. :) I think the 1930 census may not be him, as I'm pretty sure he migrated very near 1906, since my grandfather was born that year and has always told my dad that he never met his brother as he left in the year (approx) that he was born. Thank you for checking that for me though.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ciao Lina, non so se stai scrivendo dall'Italia, comunque/however:
in the ship's manifest the first name is the same on the passport; and the name on the passport is the same on birthact... so we must search a Augusto DI MARCO born in Teramo( town.. or some common in Teramo province?) in the 1888 circa, son of Giacomo, and emigrated around the 1906... correct?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gish

Post by gish »

suanj wrote:Ciao Lina, non so se stai scrivendo dall'Italia, comunque/however:
in the ship's manifest the first name is the same on the passport; and the name on the passport is the same on birthact... so we must search a Augusto DI MARCO born in Teramo( town.. or some common in Teramo province?) in the 1888 circa, son of Giacomo, and emigrated around the 1906... correct?
suanj
Ciao,

I'm actually in Australia. If I was in Italy I think things would be a lot easier. :(

I do not have a copy of my great uncles birthact, but his name would be either augusto or agostino, i cant be sure of which. not sure where abouts in teramo the province. and yes, son of giacomo, born approx 1988, and emigrated approx 1906.