Aurora Family from Napoli Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Shari

Aurora Family from Napoli Italy

Post by Shari »

Looking for any information on the Aurora families of Napoli Italy.

Am pretty sure Grandfather's name was Joseph Aurora, born about 1900 to 1915, in Napoli.
His mother's name was Maria Aurora, so I have been told.
The family history is very confusing.

They came to the US, East coast and was told, lived somewhere in NY for a time.

Grandfather changed his name a lot. The name he died under was Sagawinia (Or story of wine makers??) In 1953, MA.

I have search City, State, Fed, Morman, SS, drive licence office,, every place I could look for records and no luck.

For the last picture ever taken of him please email me.

Thank you
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Look this is going to be a long haul but for starters you did not mention ellis island records nor NARA for 81 for all passenger arrivals in the USA. Ellis Island has 5 Giuseppe Aurora listed. go to www.ellisisland.org and look them up on the off chance you did not look into each of the 5. Fill in on what you know and haven;t said so that perhaps I can pick up a clue from an offhand rmark you make. Peter
Shari

Post by Shari »

Hi,

I did look at some of the Ellis Island records, but did not comb through in detail. Will look at them again.

Have loked at records for all the names I was told he used, In Ipswich and Gloucester MA, Maine and Texas, in City, state, Federal, census, birth, death, ss,,, etc, and the most info I came up with is his mother was an Aurora.

There is so much rumor about Grandfather, I do not know what is truth and what is not. Sigh ~ ~

Biggest thing is he liked women, married quite a few of them, and changed his name with each one.
:roll:

I do have a web site up with a picture of him if anyone is interested.
Shari

Post by Shari »

Looked at the Ellis Island link....

There more Aurora's there than when I last looked. There are more possible families and people.

Will have to take a look at the Ohio," Aurora" Family and the Joseph Aurora that went to Connecticut.

Just have run into so many brick walls with this Grandfather, hard to keep my hopes up.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

......just one more step. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

strange: who often changes last name remains however berthed to that you recall its true identity. I have tried to convert in italian
Sagawinia is: Sagavinia...this surname not exist, but are only an record for Sagavinia: http://www.pubblinet.com/nomi/cognomi-sab.htm
!!! On ellis island not are records for Giuseppe Aurora born around 1900/1915..which age had when it is died? More: Maria Aurora mother..Aurora is surname of husband, but maiden name?? If this mother's name is real, are an record for Maria Aurora from Napoli, emigrated in 1915.., married Gennaro Lebano, 4 sons, 2 male(Francesco and....Luciano) and 2 female(Concetta and Carmela), final destination NY, but not are an Giuseppe...
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 5309060066

Perhaps your ancestor that it has changed to many times the last name, it has initially assumed the last name of the mother? It has changed also first name? Suggestions? :roll: , regards, suanj
Shari

Post by Shari »

HI,

Yes, I know a major pain. After 20+ years of research, I sure know who he was not. 8O Sigh ~ ~ ~

Checking with Ellis Island records, I found a family of Interest.
Duilio Ship Manifest from Napoli on 25 Nov 1924
Aurora, Joseph 42y old
Aurora, Maria 32y old
Aurora, Joseph 6 year old, which would make him born about 1918.
They were to go to Jefferson County, Ohio.

I checked the 1930 Census first of all of Ohio, they were not there in 1930.
Then check for all of the usa... many Aurora's but not close to these.
What happen to them and were did they go?
Did Joseph and Maria Aurora pass away? If they did it would of had to be between 1924 and 1930,, or did they hide from the Census takers?

I have looked at the Maria Aurora and Gennaro Lebano, and I am just not sure about them. I have some history about them, and it is mind boggling confusion for me.

Have been thinking Grandfather did not want to be found, Or did not want all his wives to find out about each other or maybe he was not here legally. Not that, that matters now.
Shari

Post by Shari »

I think that the name Sagawinia is a made up name, or a play on words.
Think his last wife helped him make it up. She has passed on, but before that she still would not talk to any family that was from one of his other wives.

If I break down the name...
Saga- means~ story
Winia- in latin means ~wine or wine maker

I have never found "Sagawinia" name from any census in the world! And Goodness,, have I look! :?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Shari are there any old photographs hanging around. if so, look at the photographer name and location on the bottom or the back or any postcard or anything with writing on it in Italian. Without a sure name you may as well turn the staue of Saint Anthony upside down and light a candle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: AlsoI not havenever found Sagawinia. But I have found only 1 Sagavinia, you see URL previous, coming from Sicily. Sagavinia not is name compound, rather dialectal word, italianized..(ditto Sagawinia), can be also a family's nickname...regards, suanj
Shari

Post by Shari »

The only picture I have of him was his last one. I could not find any other pictures of him. There is nothing on the back of the picture.

I just wish I could find out what the Italian communty in Ipswich and Gloucester, MA, knew of him. They always told us we were Italian and to never forget it, but when we asked Grandfather's name, they would clam up.
Frustrating to say the least.

Thank you so much Suanj for the help.

But unless I can find a way to send his picture out, I do not know if I will ever find information on him.

Will just keep doing research, sooner or later something will come up I hope.

All I really have to go on is the Family name of Aurora, that came from Italy.

PS,
The two first names Grandfather used was.. Joseph and Alkin.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: sure Aurora is just surname of Giuseppe(Joseph)..more: Sagawinia... really I have thought a lot to this....I task that is a transformed last name...:Saccavino, real surname in Napoli (it means: it threads wine reported to host trade) and in all Napoli area..perhaps are an relation between this surname and life of Joseph....regards, suanj

PS: Why on Duilio ship's manifest the first name Aurora's male already they are written in english...? Why not Giuseppe instead of Joseph?? :roll:
Shari

Post by Shari »

You know I did not think of that. :oops:

Sometimes I forget that names are Englishized when the arrive here.

Thank you again!!