Searching Surname Capella

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ThorneCapella

Searching Surname Capella

Post by ThorneCapella »

We are just starting to research my husbands family. We truly don't know much, just that his grandfather and grandmother immigrated from Italy. All he has to go on is his last name. He doesn't know when his father was born, but his own birth certificate states that his father was born in Pennsylvania. His father's name was Charles Anthony Capella, Sr. He doesn't know his grandparent's names, but his paternal grandmother was Italian. (Her first name was Ada)

A few years back he paid one of those fraudulent heraldry places for a herald. It says that they came from Florence, but all the CApellas on your site are from Sicilian origin. I know this isn't much to go on, but if anyone out there can help a little it would be appreciated. We don't even truly know where to start. We are in Arkansas, US and it is really hard to go to Philadelphia to do the research. (That is the area they were in.)

Thanks to any help,
Mrs. Capella
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

For someone starting out may I suggest that you give youself a shot in the arm by going to www.ellisisland.org and look up his grandparents arrival in the USA and then go to the nearest library or bookstore and buy an easy read book ITALIAN GENEALOGICAL RECORDS by Trafford R. Cole. This will assist you greatly. The cardinal rule in genealogy is to work backwards.

You can read the home page of this very website to see what its all about. Peter